Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cannot connect to IMAP server

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Popular Poster

I cannot connect the talktalkt IMAP server since I tried to change my mail password. I am using outlook 2016 and when I try to repair the account it says connection to the incoming IMAP mail server was dropped. As far as I know I am using the setting that talkttalk recommend. How can I fix this?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @kmorgan 

To check your mailbox password and check the mailbox is functioning normally please sign in to TalkTalk Mail. Tell us if there's an error message or if you can sign in ok. Heads up that if you changed the password yesterday pm then that password change may not have been saved on the mail server.

When signed in send yourself a mail message from and to the same mailbox address and check the message is in the Sent objects folder and appears and stays in the Inbox.

Outlook 2016 probably just needs the correct password re-entering when prompted and saving to make sure Outlook is not using a wrong or corrupted password.

The email settings are: Email settings - IMAP or POP3 and you should select 'my outgoing server requires authentication' but not use SPA. Authentication is by using the normal password and connection security by using SSL/TLS (STARTTLS for the outgoing server).

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I have no problems logging into talktalk webmail with my changed password but I cannot connect to the IMAP server with outlook 2016.  I have checked the port numbers and think I have inbound and outbound set correctly and the other settings but I cannot seem to get a connection.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @kmorgan 

I would suspect that Outlook data is corrupted. Select and remove the mail account from Outlook and set up afresh as an IMAP email account.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Can I just delete and recreate the account in outlook or will this lose the content of my current mail folders?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi kmorgan 

As the existing is an IMAP account that will just synchronise to the online mailbox. All contents of the online mailbox will be unaffected by the removal of the account from Outlook. However, if you have local folders linked to the account you will wish to save those first to make sure you have a backup copy.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

The talktalk settings page shows Incoming SSL = yes. My outlook setup page has an encryption dropdown box offering 'SSL/TLS' or 'STARTTLS' for the incoming mail server; which should I choose?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi kmorgan 

For talktalk.net emails and an IMAP account setup

SSL/TLS with port 993 for the incoming server mail.talktalk.net

STARTTLS with port 587 for the outgoing SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net

My server requires authentication

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I understand the problem now. The talktalk website recommends the set of non-alphanumeric characters from which at least one should be selected in the password at least one of these characters the asterisk * doesn't not work in MS software. I just reset my talktalk password and changed this character and nothing else and now everything is fine. Unfortunately MS outlook let me set password characters which it seems they can't support in this way or may be internationalised i.e. keyboard specific. 

Thank you for your time trying to help.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi kmorgan 

Interesting. My understanding is that all the special symbols have been tested as working with all the current main email clients including Outlook. I'll have to remember about the asterisk.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know. We always appreciate your feedback.