Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cannot login to BTINTERNET from iPhone/PC using talk talk

93 REPLIES 93
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Can anyone assist. I have had Talk Talk for 5 years and I have always used Apple Mail to access my BTinternet email account. This has worked perfectly until two days ago  now I  cannot access my btinternet account from either my iphone or my mac book air via apple mail. I know it is talk talk as if I switch off wifi and switch on 4g on my phone I can access my btinternet account when I then switch on my talk talk wifi and close down 4g I cannot access my account any ideas!!!!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ambrazul, what firewall and AntiVirus do you have? Do you have HomeSafe turned on?

Highlighted
Popular Poster

All switched off 

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Clearly I have no firewalls antivirus on my phone this has stopped working on all our home PC's and also iPhones
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello,

We are having the exact same problem with our iPhone Mail App and btinternet addresses, and like you only when connected to talktalk network, i.e. works fine on 4G and on other WiFi networks

Did you manage to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sally

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Ido not think the people I spoke to even understood the problem let alone had the  have spent literally hours on this 3 hours with Talk talk/2 hours with Apple and 1 hour with BT. It is a TALK TALK problem and I do not think the people I spoke to understood the problem yet alone had the technical skills to fix it. We need to pressurise TALK TALK. I am though not very hopeful unless there are more people with a similar problem!!!!

Highlighted
Community Star

The first stage of troubleshooting a BT Internet email issue is to check you can log in to your email account via the BT.com website and the Email link on the top right of the purple header bar.

Does your username and password log you in to your email account?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes I can log into my BT account from my iphone with wifi switched off and on my PC when I am at my office but not at home. All worked well until about 6 days ago when it broke and it has been broken since then

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ambrazul

At home, use your PC connected to your router and open a browser like Firefox or Chrome.

• In the address bar type www.BT.com
  • Click on the Email link on the top right of the purple header bar
  • Check you can log in to your email account

Does your username and password log you in to your email account?

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes I can login on webmail on my iphone using 4g on my pc using apple mail just not using my talk talk home network!!!!

No point continuing with talk talk if I have to turn WIFI off just to get my emails

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Sally no and TT do not understand and no one contacts you it is all so frustrating have you got anywhere i intend to cancel this Friday if no progress is made

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @SallyWilson

Using the iPhone mail app to connect to the TalkTalk mail server to send and receive TalkTalk email is going to work just fine over the TalkTalk network with TalkTalk mail settings.

But using the TalkTalk network to send and receive BT Internet email with BT Internet settings isn't going to work so you have to use BT Webmail.

So, I'll ask you the same as I asked @Ambrazul.

Using an Internet Browser can you access BT.com and click on Email on the right of the header ?

Bt.comBt.com

and then Sign in to your BT Internet email account?

BT Internet Email Sign inBT Internet Email Sign in

Highlighted
Popular Poster

that has to be ridiculous!!! Firstly I have been accessing my BT internet account for over 3 years using apple mail on my iphone and my PC. It stopped working 10 days ago. I can still access my icloud account and my exchange account using my talk talk wifi BUT NOT MY BTINTERNET. If I go off wifi on my iphone I can connect to all my mail accounts including my BTINTERNET. So TT must have changed something I think it is a timing out on 993 port as I cannot even sign in!!!!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ambrazul

At home, use your PC connected to your router and open a browser like Firefox or Chrome.

• In the address bar type www.BT.com
  • Click on the Email link on the top right of the purple header bar
  • Check you can log in to your email account

Does your username and password log you in to your BT Internet email account?

Hint: The answer is YES or NO

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes I can log into my email account thru the web on my PC I can also do it over 4g on my phone I can also do it from my PC when I take it my office over the wifi in my office just not through the mail application on my iphone or pc. I can though loginto my icloud account 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ambrazul

That's really good because it means that there's no block on the BT website / webmail and that the password you've just used is also good.

Has that password been changed in the last two weeks?

Are you using POP3 or IMAP settings on the iPhone email client?

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Yes changed password switched router off for 5 hours to allow it to reset have deleted email account and reinstalled I have done all the tricks I know I am on IMAP have also ticked and unticked TLS/SSL the message seems to indicate a time out on port 993 but I just cannot log into my account

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Ambrazul

BT say that they are aware of some problems with Apple devices (iPhones, iPads or iPods) where you're unable to send emails after changing your password.

"For any Apple device, it's important to not only update your password in the main device settings, but also in the SMTP settings. If you don't do this, you won't be able to send emails.  If you're still having problems, delete and re-install the account and set up the settings again including the new password."

The IMAP settings are:

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com
Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption)
SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)
Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part
Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Please do NOT enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

SMTP settings
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com
Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)
SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)
Authentication: PLAIN
Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part
Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

You've done the delete email account and re-install so that should have cleared all of the old settings including the earlier password.

Double check all of the above settings. 

I'm going through the settings to see if they are different from those that are set up on your iPhone including the password. 

I still don't guarantee they'll work if BT are blocking btinternet mail access from the TalkTalk network.  i.e. They expect to see TalkTalk authenticated mail originated on the TalkTalk network and anything else is potentially unauthenticated. 

Highlighted
Popular Poster

Well surely that kind of issue has to be the problem but surely TT should investigate they just seem to do nothing saying not on our watch!!! I am a customer it all worked now it does not and no recognition from TT that anyone will review this issue. They must have tech experts who should resolve these issues!!!Remember everything works when not on TT network it does not when on the network this is not an apple or imap settings issue it is a problem with TT servers and BTINTERNET servers but I cannot blame BT as I can access across multiple other networks that leaves TT as the ISSUE!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Ambrazul, Gondola has given you the right settings and the right advice. You can't send BT mail across the TalkTalk mail servers. It's perfectly normal.