cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cannot login to BTINTERNET from iPhone/PC using talk talk

Highlighted
Participant

Betternet works for me....been using it since the talk talk fault appeared weeks ago. As you say not a permanent solution......just a faff!

Highlighted
Participant

Richard - I swapped my talktalk router for an old one and everything worked OK immediately.

I found somewhere that BT block addresses they think are associated with spam

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi All,

I have had an open issue with the TalkTalk support desk since this problem first reared it's head. I have had regular update phone calls from them that have achieved nothing (and are quite frustrating) until yesterday when the agent said 'she could not access my router to check what firmware level it had'. Logically i could not understand how the router could suddenly be so selective in what addresses it would deal with but she said that they wanted to send me a new router. It arrived today, I plugged it in and the problem went away!!!

Being a cynical person, I wonder was there a firmware update that has been rolled out that has a problem?

I say that the problem went away but one of my gmail addresses immediately became unavailable. I had to delete it from the mail client and re-set it up to get it to work.

I am now back in business. thanks for all the info and help.

Regards

Bob J. 

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Bob et al

My problem went away when I reinstalled a 3 year old router talktalk I had.  I had read somewhere that BT block IP addresses which appear suspicious.

I would recommend trying a different router - several on ebay.  Much better value than endless/fruitless conversations with "technical support".

Good luck!

Highlighted
Team Player

So I've just noticed that in the past couple of weeks that I am suffering with the same problem as the rest of you.  I hadn't noticed that it wasn't working because I could see my emails on my phone when I was at work.

So just to be clear, I can no longer connect my email client to BT's mail server to collect my emails while using TalkTalk's network from my router at home.

The error message I get from my Outlook client is "The connection to the server was interrupted.  If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Someone mentioned the router firmware.  My router is the HG633 with firmware 1.22t which, I think, has been in use for a while now.  So I am not sure what has changed to make this stop working. 

Highlighted
Participant

Im over a month into this problem with talk talk. They sent me a new router yesterday and the problem has disappeared. It looks like its to do with the IP address as the problem also goes away when using a VPN. I ave asked what the cause is but as yet there is no answer. The pain is having to reconfigure about 20 items that connect to my system.........

Highlighted
First Timer

I cannot log into my btinternet .com  I’m now with talk talk 

Highlighted
Participant

After all these weeks, I have just been informed by Talk Talk that they are unable to fix this. A new router is the only option. This changes the IP address which for some unfathomable reason gives BT the message to allow access to BT emails on the talk talk network. I would have thought a phone call between the techies at Talk talk and BT would have solved it!!

Highlighted
Team Player

Great.  When do I get mine?

Highlighted
Participant

You will need to ask for one I think!!!   Ive got 20 devices connected to mine at various times. Will waste a fair bit of time reconnecting everything!

Highlighted
Team Player

So, is this a different model router, or is it just a case of, when you replace your router, you are assigned a different IP address that is not blocked by BT?

Highlighted
Participant

Looks like different router gets a new ip address. In theory if you turn existing router off for long enough it should too......but I cant get it to. Maybe switch off for a week or two might do it!!!

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello All,

I tried rebooting my original router (after an over night power down) to no avail. A new router provided the solution. I suspect that it is nothing to do with a change of IP address as the time to reject the BT email addresses is miniscule (micro seconds), no network or server processor time. This, to me, points to a very local problem source. I think I stick by my initial suspician, a router firmware update that went wrong. This would also might explain a comment from a hepldesk agent that she could not access my router to check the firmware level and which prompted the supply of a new router.

Good Luck everyone, hope your problems get solved soon.

Bob J.

ps: since installing the new router I have had no email problems at all!

Highlighted
Team Player

So, can you just confirm, when you say a new router, was it a different model to the one you were using, and if so, what model is it?

I've had my router for the past 16 months, and it only started to be an issue about a month ago.  From what I can see, the firmware it is using has been out for quite some time.

Can you give us the model and firmware version you are using now that it is working for you?

Thanks.