Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cannot send emails

ANSWERED
6 REPLIES 6
JanePLC
Chatterbox

I can receive emails on my Tiscali account but cannot send them even when using TalkTalk webmail. On my iPad, the message comes back "Cannot send mail.  The server has rejected one of the recipients addresses"  - the test email will not even go to my other Tiscali account which is correct.  On the Mac laptop, the error message is "Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [.................] (453 - 453 4.2.0 Avbuk4clwyfmM Too Many Recipients (TT605)."  This was again  sent only to my other Tiscali account as a test.  None of my Tiscali accounts will send but will receive.  Help, please !

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @JanePLC 

The error message is indicating a restriction of sending due to the potential sending of spam.  This is usually triggered because too many email addresses that have been sent to are not available. 

I said potential sending of spam because it's a spam protection restriction not necessarily you sending spam. 

However, the tiscali mail server that accepts mail for delivery to your mailbox does seem to have been busy and therefore may have not accepted your mail for delivery that in turn has caused the restriction to be applied.

So I have a temporary workaround to see if that gives a fix to get you back in action. You'll need to access the outgoing server settings for iPad and Mac.

Check the Username is your full tiscali email address

Change the outgoing SMTP server from smtp.tiscali.co.uk to smtp.talktalk.net

Ensure the outgoing port is 587 and that the Use SSL is set OR is set to STARTTLS

And authentication is set to Normal Password

You will need to re-enter the password

Should get you back in action sending mail messages.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

JanePLC
Chatterbox

This has worked so thank you so much  - a really great help!

Gondola
Community Star

Nice one.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know. We always appreciate your feedback.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi JanePLC, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

OCE_Ady

Hi gph-1, it's not your mail that's causing the problem. The team have investigated and the problem is that your IP address has sent/attempted to send 1000's of mails.

The quickest fix for you is to turn off your router over night and you'll have a new IP address in the morning. I'd also make sure your WIFI password is very secure and not shared with anyone else. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

OCE_Ady

A spammer somewhere is using your IP address to send mail. If you've now changed that by rebooting you've sorted the problem. As you've seen these things can and do happen from time to time. 

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted now. 

Ady