cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cant delete Email address

8 REPLIES 8
Whizz Kid

I would like to move an email address from an old account (so I can use it, without having to pay)--but need to delete one first. But cant, Error is --Sorry, we can not delete this mailbox at the moment. Please retry or come back later.--Have tried over several days.Seems to be old problem that some users have, do I need to get an OCE to delete it?

Also cant sent to mailbox--it bounces with --Mailbox disabled

Community Star

Hi Terrick 

Yes, you'll need help on the two issues.

The mailbox you cannot delete is not on the active database and probably disabled or suspended because of suspicious activity. It'll need to be taken off the suspended list first to be deleted but the OCE's can take your instructions and do that for you.

The mailbox that's associated with a former MyAccount may need to be detached from that MyAccount to be added to the current MyAccount. The OCE's can take your instructions and do that for you.

Double check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Add, then scroll down and add the email addresses to Private notes (making it clear which is to be deleted) and then Save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account(s) and get this organised for you.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Terrick, you'll need to contact the GDPR team to delete the mail from MyAccount and then you should be able to add the address from the old MyAccount. You'll find the contact information in the Right to be forgotten help article.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Whizz Kid

I just need to delete an email address from 'my account' without going to 'forget my data' etc. . The address beginning with N is locked and I just need to DELETE it. It should be a standard account feature.and its not working.

Community Star

Hi Terrick 

I suggested that the mailbox you cannot delete is not on the active database and probably disabled or suspended because of suspicious activity. It'll need to be taken off the suspended list first to be deleted.  I did think that OCE_Ady would be able to remove the email from the suspended list but if the email address has been blocked by the security team then Ady's advice is to contact the Data Protection Team with a deletion request.

On the one hand I agree with you that the Delete function should work for a MyAccount user even for non-active email addreses.  But if suspect activity has been detected including the potential for a MyAccount to be compromised then it's best that the responsibility for mailbox deletion rests with the Data Protection team because deletion is not reversible.

Whizz Kid

To follow the link to get the address deleted seems to be snail mail ONLY, so basically cant be done!!!!. 

Community Star

Hi Terrick 

The advice article Access information we hold on you says that you can contact the Data Protection team in all of the ways that you may choose to contact TalkTalk. If you do use other than 'the normal Royal Mail postal service' to make the initial contact then I'd say try weekdays 9am - 4pm for the best success.

Other members that have used the recommended postal contact method to send proofs of identity and email registration have reported back that the deletion has been achieved within 1 - 2 weeks.

Whizz Kid

Well to send send proofs of identity and email registration to get an email address deleted, that probably as far as I know has never been used is over the top. How is it TT will be able to delete email addresses as the users are not paying for an account, when I pay for an account and they won't delete mine without sending very personal info..

Community Star

Well, now we're getting somewhere. If the mailbox has never been used then the email address is definitely not on the active database list.

Now that the 'phone system is working and as it's gone 9am why not get in touch with TalkTalk ask to be put through to Data Protection and see what they need to delete the mailbox entry in your MyAccount.  It may just be the normal online security check and that's all.