Did you mean: 
Need help?

Catalonia Update

ANSWERED
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Participant

Hi,

This week, I updated my iMac with the new Catalonia OS.

Everything seems to be fine except that I cannot find my sent emails in my talktalk email account. My email account is set up on the Apple email platform ( I don't usually use webmail access but the sent emails are visible there either).

Are there any thoughts about how I can reinstate this? Is it a settings problem caused during the OS update?

Many thanks

Malcolm 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Malcolm

I recall seeing another customer experiencing some issues with Apple Mail following the Catalonia upgrade.

If you've signed in to TalkTalk Mail (here) and can successfully send a message to the same mailbox and see the message in both the Sent objects and Inbox then the mailbox is working as expected.

Let us know if the mailbox is not working as expected.

If the older Sent messages are missing then they'll have been downloaded to a synchronised folder in Apple Mail. If that folder has been inadvertently cleared during the upgrade to Catalonia and it's been subsequently resynchronised to the TalkTalk Mail mailbox Sent objects, and has cleared that Sent messages folder, then the unwelcome news is that those messages have been also irretrievably cleared. 

Important message from TalkTalk about backing up important messages.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks very much.

Using your link to talktalk webmail, the message did register in the sent folder. However, sending one from talktalk in apple mail it did not register in the sent folder.

In both views of sent, emails sent prior to the Catalonia upgrade are still showing.

So the problem is linked to the talktalk account in apple mail.

Does this help?

Best regards,

Malcolm

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Malcolm

Proving that the TalkTalk mailbox is working as expected is a good first step. 

I think you're confirming that you can see all previous sent emails in the TalkTalk Mail Sent objects folder.  If so, even better as they've not been deleted.

I feel I need extra confirmation of the next bit. You send an email from Apple Mail. You presumably do see that sent mail in the Apple Mail Sent folder?  But you don't see it in the TalkTalk Mail Sent objects?

If so, then either the email account is set up as POP3 and only the Inbox is being downloaded to Apple Mail OR, more likely, that the email account is set up as an IMAP account (i.e. normal expected setup) but the Sent folder is no longer synchronised to the TalkTalk Mail Sent objects folder.

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Gondola,

A bit more detail.

In apple mail the sent emails (prior to loading Catalonia) from talktalk are in the "On my Mac" folder, the talktalk "Sent" folder is totally empty.

Does that help your diagnosis?

Many thanks for your help.

Malcolm

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Malcolm

Looks like the default Mailbox Behaviours may have changed. The 'On My Mac' is a local folder that's not normally synchronised to the online TalkTalk Mail mailbox.

Here's the advice from Apple on setting up default Mailbox Behaviours.

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Gondola,

I think I've got there.

The issue is due to talktalk settings in Preferences. Obviously something changed during the upgrade. I've reset the various destinations - including where sent emails should be sent and all seems fine.

You have been very helpful in unravelling the thought process.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

...Excellent Malcolm.

Thanks for taking time out to confirm a successful reset of the synchronised folders. Your feedback is always good.