cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Could not connect to "mail.onetel.com" Cause: connection refused (10061) since 2 March 2018.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi all,

as cherrypicker999 has put it so concisely on Onetel problemsthread

The million dollar question:

Is there a way to divert onetel emails to a different address?  Nerd_face

konundrums
Highlighted
First Timer

First of all, thanks for the status link Gondola, exactly what was looking for and OCE_Ady for the update re the issue affecting oversees users. Are you suggesting ye are starting to block overseas IP address ranges now ?

Yes I'm outside the UK at the minute (Ireland), but my location is a little irrelivent, since I'm using GMail to collect the mail rather than a local email client. I'm not sure where Googles email collection servers are routed through though, but I guess it could be possible they are outside the UK. When I pinged the onetel servers yesterday and they weren't responding, I was on a company network whose internet gateway is London based, so it was affecting UK connections. I've now pinged toninght (directly from Ireland) and found the server responding, so it is now responding for international users.

konundrums this is back up and working for me tonight. I re-setup GMail to collect email from this account using pop3 settings and it's working (see this for how to setup: https://goo.gl/LLLgek ). I use GMail for collecting mail from all my old legacy (ISP) email accounts (the ones I can't close). It's dead handy and helps me to monitor if these have been hacked and are being used (some are currently on a hacked list). Unfortinately GMail doesn't support IMAP for Onetel, and Onetel doesn't support SSL or TLS, so I wouldn't be using it for sending any bank statements.

It should hopefully be back working for you with Eudora, if using the correct settings.
In this case, it doesn't currently matter which server address you use (mail or pop), since DNS currently points both to the same IP address (which could be one server or port forwarding to multiple servers). I like you, have used both for years, but that may not always be the case and may change in future, so it's best practice to use the correct one given. What's important in this case is the port you use (its fairly standard for port 110 to be for pop and 143 for IMAP). I would try with IMAP settings in Eudora first, since the functionality is better and try pop3 after, if they don't work. I would guess if server config was set to pop3, you were likely previously using pop 3 settings (using port 110). I also found the username doesn't require the @onetel.com bit for me.

settings below:

IMAP:
incomming: mail.onetel.com
port 143 (unencrypted, no SSL)
outgoing: smtp.onetel.com
port 25 (unencrypted, no SSL)

POP3:
incomming: pop.onetel.com
port 110 (unencrypted, no SSL)
outgoing: smtp.onetel.com
port 25 (unencrypted, no SSL)

I would agree with Gondula that both Eudora and Onetel are outdated legacy systems and it would be best to 'retire' both and move on. I vaguely remember that small charge on my account and think it was an error when I rang after to enquire. I currently pay nothing and as talktalk are not a charity, don't expect the account to continue working forever......

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi konundrums, I'm fairly sure that is going to be a mistake. Could you update your profile to include your landline, mobile and your full name? The information is solely to enable us to find and sort this out. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Ady,

When you say "I'm fairly sure that is going to be a mistake." in your last post I am not sure what you are referring to.

Could it be, that this is your way of saying, that onetel for >10 years have been charging me every month for what should always have been a FREE SERVICE ?

If this is in fact the case, Onetel or (TalkTalk) owe me a few hundred £sterling and an apology.

I have been relying on this service PRECISELY due to it being a PAID service, which is why I got very angry on the many occasions that this service was inoperative.

Should I be checking my old bank records to acertain the exact amount involved?

@

bublehead

My email is now working again. Many thanks for info concerning Gmail, but what I was hoping for was that TT add an automatic forwarding option to their Horde menu so as to facilitate a programmed migration whilst automatically informing any sender of the new address taking over from the old onetel address. That way migrations would be efective and painless and TT could close the service over time leaving just the forwarding without causing problems for all the legacy Onetel customers.

I posted this on "https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Your-Ideas/idb-p/ideas/label-name/Email" a few days ago. However I just looked now and the post has vanished into thin air. !!!!!

konundrums
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi All,

Just found the link I posted on the Onetel problems thread.and THIS does work.

" Hi all,

Have just posted this suggestion on "https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Your-Ideas/automatic-forwarding-for-Onetel-emails/idi-p/2180737#..."

Category: Emails.

Idea:

Set up on mailzone a way to forward onetel emails to a different address, as this would help users to migrate to a more reliable platform, so even more useful if there was an option included to "notify" all senders by "replying" that this process was taking place.

Please feel free to comment on this so that someone in TT takes some notice.

Thanks.

Strange that this post can not be accessed through the "https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Your-Ideas/idb-p/ideas/label-name/Email" Quiet_face

konundrums
Highlighted

Hi konundrums. so certain was I that we don't charge for email. I've looked into the billing issue for you. You're not being charged for email. As I thought we don't charge anyone for email. The charge was for international caller service. Is that something you remember signing up for? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCS_Ady,

I don't know what "international caller service." is !

What does it consist of ?

How can I have a service if I don't have a telephone line to use the service in question.

When I queried the payments many years ago I was told that they were for the continued email service despite not having a Onetel telephone.

All very misterious.

Many thanks for your help with this enigma.

Cheers

PS.

I can now log in to my emails both from client and using Horde logon, so at least that problem is fixed.

konundrums
Highlighted

It's a call plan. My colleagues have checked and it seems you never cancelled the service. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Ady,

Many thanks for your continued help.

In the light of this new info I have to apologise for casting doubts about your "email service is free" statements.

Can you supply me with a link towards what this "call plan" consists of ?

How is it possible to have a call plan without having a landline ?

My memory is now like a sieve, so it is quite possible that I have forgotten to cancel something if I am not reminded to do so, but I have not had a landline for many years now so I don't understand how a call plan could possibly work. Also I have no idea HOW to go about cancelling this other than telling my bank not to pay the Direct Debit. I have always believed that this payment was for the onetel email service.

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted

That's a very good question. That I've asked and am waiting for an answer to. Once I have it I'll let you know. Hopefully that'll be today. 

Highlighted

Would you update your profile to include your landline and mobile numbers. I've arranged to raise a complaint over to the CEO team to get your money refunded to you. You can't use a call plan if you don't have a landline from us to call out on. You won't have a lot to do other than passing security checks with your complaint manager and adding your details to your profile. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Ady

Sorry to take so long to reply, I am traveling and don't always have access to internet.

Many thanks for your help and the confirmation that "You can't use a call plan if you don't have a landline from us to call out on."

I have updated my profile to include my mobile number but no landline number as I don't have one at the moment.

I can't see my email address in my profile but it must be included somewhere since I have received a ton of emails corresponding to thread updates.

Not quite sure as to how to go about passing " security checks with your complaint manager" as I was unaware of the existence of said person.

Can I assume that she/he will contact me via mobile ?

I can certainly supply bank details of the account I have used to pay the bills for  >10years.

Let us hope that this will be sufficient.

Cheers

PS. I also know the landline number I had when I first started with Onetel.

konundrums
Highlighted

I've raised the complaint for you. Once the complaint manager is issued with your complaint they'll call you on the mobile.