cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Deleted emails keep re-appearing (and read emails become unread)

13 REPLIES 13
tichtich
Team Player

Hello. I've had this problem for the last two weeks or so. Emails I've read keep getting marked unread again, and deleted emails return from my Trash folder to my Inbox. The only way I can get rid of emails for good is to empty my trash every time I've deleted some emails.

I see that other people are reporting this too. It's also worth mentioning that exactly the same thing happened a few months ago, and then the problem went away after a couple of weeks, without me doing anything. I assumed that you (Talktalk) had fixed the problem, but now it's become unfixed again!

I have a lineone.net address, which I'm using with IMAP on pop.tiscali.co.uk. I'm experiencing exactly the same thing on two different email clients on different platforms (Windows Live Mail on Windows 10, and Mail app on iPad iOS 9) so I don't think it's anything to with my mail clients.

This is very annoying, and has already caused me to miss an email from a client, so I hope you will be able to get it fixed soon. Thanks.

Richard.

Richard Wein
Community Team

Hi tichtich, do you have your mail client set to leave a copy on the server? 

tichtich
Team Player

@OCE_Adywrote:

Hi tichtich, do you have your mail client set to leave a copy on the server? 

Hi Ady, thanks for replying.

I'm using IMAP, so that setting is not applicable or available.

Richard Wein
Community Team

Hi tichtich, you've said you're using IMAP but then said pop.tiscali.co.uk. Did you mean IMAP. tiscali.co.uk?

tichtich
Team Player

@OCE_Adywrote:

Hi tichtich, you've said you're using IMAP but then said pop.tiscali.co.uk. Did you mean IMAP. tiscali.co.uk?

Hi Ady. Well, I had both my mail clients set to IMAP, but it seems I'd accidentally left Windows Live Mail set to use pop.tiscali.co.uk. But this didn't seem to matter. I was getting IMAP anyway. I've now changed the setting to imap.tiscali.co.uk, but that hasn't made any difference at all. I've also switched (on my PC) from using the old Windows Live Mail to using Outlook 2016 (something I've been meaning to do for a while). But that hasn't made any difference either. I'm still suffering from the original problem I described. I think the problem must be at your end.

Richard Wein
Community Team

I've run a repair for you and I'm informed by the Email Admins that we have no issues causing this problem on a wider scale. Let me know if the repair has repaired the problem.

tichtich
Team Player

@OCE_Adywrote:

I've run a repair for you and I'm informed by the Email Admins that we have no issues causing this problem on a wider scale. Let me know if the repair has repaired the problem.

Afraid not. There's been no change, except that yesterday an extra 400 old emails re-appeared. Maybe that was caused by the repair.

Richard Wein
Community Team

I've raised the fault ticket for you. Hopefully, it won't be too long before this is fixed. Please let us know how you get on. 

tichtich
Team Player

Hello. This problem suddenly went way, a week or two ago. Thanks for whatever you did. If possible, I would really like to know what the solution was, so I can mention it the next time the problem recurs. Sorry I can't be more specific about the date that the problem was fixed.

Thanks.

Richard Wein
Community Team

Hi tichtich, there was some work being done to prepare for the launch of the new platform. Once I raised the issue the work was stopped until we could find out the cause of the problem. Only 10 customers were affected out of 1.2million that had been managed at that time so fortunately or unfortunately it was very minor issue in the overall scheme. In short this work won't be done again so you won't experience the problem again. 

tichtich
Team Player

Oh no! This problem has started up all over again, about 10 days ago. Deleted emails being restored to my Inbox and read emails marked as unread. Just the same as before. Could you please investigate again?

Richard Wein
Community Team

We've not restarted the process so it can't be that causing this problem. Is it both mail clients again? And are both still set for IMAP?

wgcuser
Wise Owl
tichtich
Team Player

@OCE_Ady wrote:

We've not restarted the process so it can't be that causing this problem. Is it both mail clients again? And are both still set for IMAP?

It looks like I failed to reply to your message, Ady. (I thought I had.) Yes it's both mail clients again. Actually three clients: Windows Live Mail and Outlook in Windows 10, and Mail in OS9. And they're all set to IMAP.

This has been going on for nearly two months this time round. Both of the previous times I had this problem I think it only lasted about 3 weeks.

Richard Wein