would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

E Mails dispatched to recipients up to years after original e mail sent

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
gcj48
First Timer

My wife and I use Thunderbird for our e-mails. yesterday she was informed by various people that they had received an email, which she had been sent previously (yes, up to 2 years previous) the body of the E Mail was neaqrly identical including her name but the originating address was very different.  The new E Mail of  had a link to a PDF File.

I have changed  both our passwords for e-mails and have run a full virus sweep using TalkTalk security software, nothing found.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

GCJ

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @gcj48 

A very wise move to scan all your devices and should either of you receive a version of the email then don't click on any links or download its attachment.

What's most likely is that the original recipient of the email has had their email account compromised.  Then emails spoofing your sending email address are sent to try and disguise the malware payload attached. So if you can identify the original recipient to warn them that would be a good move.

Compromised or spoofed accounts 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

usedit67
Participant

I have exactly the same problem and it's causing me such stress! As of yesterday, emails from my sent folder are being re-sent but from randon email addresses with a PDF link (obviously dodgy). I have had calls and emails from so many people saying that I have emailed them. I changed my Talktalk password and ran serveral scans . No problems found on my PC and the emails are still sending, even repeating. I guess that someone has got hold of my sent folder and is using it to spread malicious links. Any help very gratefully received. I s this a Talk talk wide problem? Please keep in touch if you get any news or a solution   Simon

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @usedit67 

Are the senders of these emails spoofing your email address as you were the original sender?  It should be possible to examine the header / source to see the actual sender's email address. Have you got a copy of the scam email's full header?

What's your email domain @talktalk.net or @tiscali.co.uk or @lineone.net or another?

There does appear to be an issue with people reporting emails several years old sent to others being used to disguise scam emails so the more info that can be found the better.

usedit67
Participant

Hi

No, these emails are clearly from mail.com email addresses (lots of different ones) just with my name as the sender. Each scam email is different - here's one:

My domain is talktalk.net

I'm at my wits end!

Thanks for any help

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @gcj48

May I ask, has your wife identified the original recipient of the email that's returning sent by a spammer?

And @usedit67 May I ask, have you identified the original recipient of the emails that are returning sent by spammers using mail.com addresses?

Inhouse
Chatterbox

In my case, the recipients of the new emails containing the scam link were the original recipients of those emails.

i.e. the same email I sent last year is going to the same person again, just from a spoof .mail.com address with todays date.

usedit67
Participant

My case is exactly the same! - I am currently talking to mail.com to see whether they can identify who is responsible. I'll report back if I get anywhere.

I am also moving all of my email based stuff over to a gmail account with the view of closing my talktalk account soon. It's just that after 15 years with one email provider, an alarming amount of day to day stuff is entwined with your email address. Its going to take forever but I just can't deal with talktalk anymore - I've had enough!

gcj48
First Timer

The original recients have received the same e-mail, which were sent to them months or even years later. The only difference was the fact the e mail address, which should have given my wifes address were all different and none of them were the same as each other.

System windows 10, Thunderbird e-mails 

Having chenged passwords and run AV (clear),and deleted all e mails from all folders except "Inbox"   

The system we use for our e-mails has not been switched on.

Yet now we have been notified that another e-mail has since been received by another friend. Again the original e-mail was sentto her  about 6 months ago.

We are currently using a Linux system on webmail for our e-mails.

I wonder if other people are having these strange problems, I have noticed talktalk are upgrading the e-mail service.

I hope this clarifies things

cheers

gcj48

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @gcj48 

Has any recipient of these scam emails reported them / forwarded them to TalkTalk? Report a phishing or spam email 

Has any recipient clicked on the pdf images in the email or just looked to see what website address is referenced?  NB I don't advise doing so - I'm just asking if anyone has.  If in doubt best to report the email to TalkTalk and let them investigate.

I'd really like to get TalkTalk security team investigating both the scam senders but specifically any website linked to in the resent scam email.  I think it's important to get the website closed down do the links don't work.

In an earlier scam the links, purporting to be pdf files, opened a fake website looking like an email sign-in.  If the scammers have faked a TalkTalk email sign in page it's pretty vital to know and to know what that looks like.

gcj48
First Timer

|Hi,

no one has opened the pdf links.

i have now forwarded  a coulple of these e-mails to talktalk for investigation and i am awaiting a response.

i will leave it to talktalk to look in to the problem.

thanks for your advise

cheers

gcj48

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @gcj48 

I'm very grateful for your support and I hope the security team can get on the case promptly with your email examples.

Thanks again.

usedit67
Participant

I haven't opened the PDF link but I have been in contact with mail.com  - from where the email addresses in the rogue emails originated.

Mail.com have been brilliant - I sent them detailed headers and they have closed down the accounts associated with them.

Cheers

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @usedit67 

Grateful thanks for letting us know that mail.com have closed the email accounts that sent the phishing emails.

Bear in mind that you / other contacts may still receive more of these unwanted emails as the scammers do just move on to use another sending address.

Did mail.com investigate where the pdf links were directed?  It's the closing down of phishing websites that would be really good.

Community Team

Hi,

Can anyone experiencing this issue please immediately change your email password (if you haven't already). The best way to do this is through My Account if you are currently a TalkTalk customer 

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi,

Can anyone experiencing this issue please complete your Community Profile and add the affected email address to the private notes section (please don't post any of this information on the forum)

Thanks

Chris

usedit67
Participant

Hi, no, no mention of the fake PDf I'm afraid