cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

E mails arriving in drafts instead of inbox in my hotmail account

11 REPLIES 11
Conversation Starter

I recently changed the password of my hotmail account to allow me to access my TalkTalk account.

My hotmail e mail account continued to function all right both on my I pad and Sansum smart phone using its original password so I left well alone. However today on my smartphone, if I send myself an email it is received in drafts rather than inbox. If I send an e mail from my iPad to phone it arrives in the inbox section as normal.

Could this be connected with me changing the password recently as previous to this no such problem existed.

I tried changing the email password of my hotmail account to the same one that I had changed to to access my TalkTalk account but it did not allow my hotmail account to function.

Can anyone please help.

Community Star

Hi @Dave75 

Your login to MyAccount uses the hotmail account email address and you receive your billing from TalkTalk to the hotmail mailbox.  You've changed the password to login to your MyAccount.

Which is why the hotmail email account continues to function with its original email address.

That's the conclusion I draw from your post.

If you try to send an email from the smartphone and it ends up in the drafts folder then that's an indication that the smartphone isn't actually sending out the mail which goes to the drafts folder as an unfinished mail message.

It's standard security advice not to use the same password for different logins. If your hotmail account password was discovered then a hacker would see it's linked to a TalkTalk service and would try the same password to access your MyAccount and be successful in this example.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Conversation Starter

Hello Gondola, thank you for your reply. I now understand the need for different passwords for different logins.

Regarding my smartphone e mail function, it has worked perfectly well up until now. However when I now try to send an email I receive the message " email could not be sent. There was difficulty connecting to the server. When connection is established your email will be sent ". The email is then sent to drafts.

Could you please give me any advice on how to rectify this fault. I have tried deleting the email account and then reloading it but the same fault persists.

Community Star

Hi Dave75 

When the 'phone isn't connecting to the email server so cannot send the mail message that message goes into the Drafts folder which is perfectly normal.

So, the issue to be fixed is getting the 'phone to connect to the hotmail mail server.

This is for your hotmail email account, yes?  First step in troubleshooting is to sign in to webmail. So try the sign in to your hotmail account at https://login.live.com

Make sure you can sign in ok

Advice on setting up Hotmail in an android app.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave75,

If you need any further assistance please let us know 

Chris

Conversation Starter

Hello Gondola. I can sign in to my hotmail account with no problem. I have also read the advice on setting up hotmail on an android app.

I deleted my hotmail account and then recreated it. That went easily and with no problem but unfortunately the original.problem persists.

When I access my hotmail account in outlook.com  I am able to send emails from it with no problem. Not sure if that helps you.

I feel now that I may have to just accept the situation and use my I pad to send any emails from hotmail

I am puzzled, as recreating the hotmail account was straightforward and not difficult yet still problems in sending.

Community Star

Hi Dave75 

Screenshot the mobile outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of your hotmail address and upload here using the Insert photos icon (camera or picture) above this Reply area.

Hi Dave75,

If you you still need assistance with this issue can you please provide the information requested by Gondola

Thanks

Chris

Conversation Starter

Hello Gondola. Despite an extensive search by me and also the salesman who sold me the phone we have been unable to find the outgoing server settings for this Samsung phone

However I have been able to transfer my hotmail account to Outlook and for some reason I am able to send e mails from that source. I can't really explain why.

As a result I am quite happy to leave things as they are now unless you disagree. I would like to thank you for your time and expertise in helping me, generously given as ever.

Dave

Community Star

Hi Dave75 

If you're ok you have sufficient ways of viewing your emails then that's good.

You'll always find members willing to help you here on Community. 

If the Samsung app is being difficult there is an alternative option of using the gMail email app. It may even be pre-installed on the 'phone when you wish to go back to setting up.

You can add other email accounts to the gMail app and it does normally set up automatically. In the Google App Settings you can Add Account, select Hotmail and follow the instructions.

Conversation Starter
Thanks again Gondola. More very helpful suggestions.

Dave

Hi Dave, you won't go far wrong if you follow the advice posted by Gondola. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.