Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email Address Repeated Threats to Delete

12 REPLIES 12
R Garnett
Participant

In March I approached this community as I had received a threatening email from talk talk. They threatened to start deleting emails and eventually my email address and to stop POP3 access because I didn't have a broadband subscription.

That was dealt with by Gondola who said that my email address hadn't been moved across from my old contract to my new contract in January.

This morning I received the same threatening email again. I have a valid broadband subscription and have had a valid subscription for well over 5 years. But I cannot actually get through to talktalk to discuss this.

Richard Garnett
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Richard

I've just seen that the original request hadn't been picked up by TalkTalk.

So I've escalated this request for action and I'll stay on the case until your mailboxes are moved to your current MyAccount.

Don't worry about deletion though as no mailboxes are being deleted during this period of Government special measures.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Matt B
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. You can resolve this easily through your MyAccount which you can access here - https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk

All you need to do is link your email address to your MyAccount and that will update our systems and you should stop receiving these emails.

If you have any further problems please get back in touch.

Thanks,

Matt

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Matt B 

Thanks for coming to the rescue.

Please look at Richard's MyAccount and you will see that the mailboxes are already there. However, there is also a banner message saying that Richard does not have a broadband account.

The issue is that the mailboxes have the attribute of being associated with a former service not with the current service.  Therefore, the mailboxes are liable for restriction to webmail only access and potential deletion.

Richard cannot stop the TalkTalk mail messages because there is nothing he can do in MyAccount. Neither can he prevent the mailboxes being restricted to webmail only access.

So, if you can fix the root cause you will be the hero of the day.

R Garnett
Participant

I don't know if this is related. The original email from Talktalk said that I would loose POP3 function.

Today I have been unable to sign in and receive emails. I have been onto the webmail page and there have been several emails received by the account. The phone is receiving nothing and I keep getting 'sig in error' and requires that I rein put my password.

My iPad says the username or password is incorrect.

Nothing has been changed from my side.

Richard Garnett
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Richard

Are the mailboxes listed in your MyAccount, My Mailboxes? And the yellow banner message still there?

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Not a broadband or Mail Plus customer.png

R Garnett
Participant
Yes. Only have 1 email address and the yellow banner is still visible
Richard Garnett
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Richard

I thought I'd check to see if TalkTalk had done anything behind the scenes to fix this issue. Obviously not yet.  But I am on the case trying to get some action. 

R Garnett
Participant

I tried to reset the phone's email app this morning it is now saying that IMAP/POP3 is not turned on for this account. This is what the threatening email from talktalk said would happen.

Is there anyway of escalating this matter to get it resolved? as the only way I can now get at emails and this forum appears to be through a desktop PC which I should only be using for work.

Does talktalk have  formal complaint email address ?

Richard Garnett
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Richard

I have drawn TalkTalk's attention to this thread. Yes, in the circumstances of the My Mailboxes erroneous message the mailboxes are, in the experience of other customers, liable to be restricted to webmail only access. 

I saw a TalkTalk manager say, only yesterday, that the issue should be fixed, at least for another customer.  So, let's see what happens if I flag this up to the Community Manager @StephenF 

R Garnett
Participant
How long do I have to wait ? You seem to know exactly what needs to be done and you are not making it sound complex.
Richard Garnett
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Richard

For paying customers, behind the scenes, I'm urging TalkTalk to cease the restriction of mailboxes to webmail only access.

That will be a fix for all pending the fix for the erroneous message in your MyAccount.

As a volunteer to Community and supporting Community members I have no control of TalkTalk timescales. You're right, not so complex.

R Garnett
Participant

Gondola

I haven't heard anything from Talktalk and can now only access my emails via a work computer. i missed two important emails over the weekend which demonstrate this situation is now untenable. I have registered a new webmail address and will start to migrate Contact Details across. If I wasn't 4 months into an 18 month contract then I would be looking to leave talktalk.

I have made a formal complaint about the handling of this matter but I mentioned the hard work that you have put in to try and get the situation resolved.

Hopefully talktalk will be able to put a fix together before I have changed the accounts over fully.

Richard Garnett