cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email Security

13 REPLIES 13
Popular Poster

Email account may be compromised but was working normally, have "successfully" reset password from main account and now it will not load on ANY device.  Is this a security issue or known current fault?

Community Star

Hi @TOTDY-2-1 

So, some guesswork from me to start with.

You're a TalkTalk broadband customer and you have a MyAccount in which you manage your TalkTalk My Mailboxes?

You believe the mailbox was compromised?

You changed the mailbox password via MyAccount?  i.e. you entered the existing mailbox password and then set a new password and confirmed that new password?

What's the email address part after the @ is it talktalk.net or tiscali.co.uk or something else?

Have you tried to sign in to webmail at the TalkTalk Mail sign in?  Any error message?

Whilst we're here, please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola, thanks for your thoughts, I have updated personal info as suggested,

All you guessed was correct !  email ends with @talktalk and I did change it and now when I try to log on (laptop) the ellipsis indicates its working on it but it has been doing this for hours.  I tried old password and it at least says that's wrong.

I have tried other devices that used to work and now message says "not supported"

Popular Poster

Forgot to mention,  tried testing broadband and talktalk are investigating identified issue but I have no idea if this real effort or automatic system response 

Community Star

Hi TOTDY-2-1 

Apologies for the delay in responding.

If the TalkTalk Mail sign in isn't working then we need to get your password changed again. This time via the Password Reset details journey.

First, please scan your devices for virus or malware problems to ensure they're clean to give you confidence that there's nothing capturing passwords.

So, for your partner's email address please do try the Forgotten your Password option. If there's an alternate email address or mobile number shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password. If you don't recognise any hints or the only option is to send a reset to the email account itself that you cannot sign in to then let me know.

Make sure the password is ultra-strong and never before used for the email account or anywhere else.

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola, no need for apologies,

system clean, done the reset journey, code to phone, extra strong password never used before and talktalk mail seem to recognise it and screen has ellipsis running over but nothing, just the same as before ?

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Just went back to the "working" elipsis and was wondering if I was supposed to do something else.. tried return then tried "refresh" and the mail system kicked in immediatly !  Happy now I can at least access it.

Are there methods in the account I can discover in email is "open" or running elsewhere to make sure ?

Community Star

Hi TOTDY-2-1 

If by 'ellipsis' you mean the three animated grey dots immediately after the sign in to TalkTalk Mail we do know from customer reports that some users do experience a hold up on the sign in sequence.

This is usually due to security software on the device you're using carrying out a scan that doesn't seem to complete. 

But, some users have found that the hold up can be due to an unknown issue with cookies. So, clearing the cookies and cache via browser settings for privacy and security and then when the cookie screen comes up asking you to select your cookie preferences, select do not accept and confirm appears to overcome the sign in hold-up.  We haven't yet worked out what is causing that particular issue.

Now that you've got a secure sign in password then only devices on which you use that password for mail access will have access to the mailbox.

What I do recommend in cases of suspected compromised accounts is to check there's no Mail Auto forward or Filter rule set up to divert your incoming mail messages. Just as a precaution.

Select the main Settings Menu (triple line icon top right or cog icon on the mobile version) > Settings > Arrow icon by Mail (or Email) in the side panel > Auto forward and Filter Rules to make sure anything there is disabled if you don't recognise why it's there. 

Just going back a bit to the older devices your tried. These will not have up to date secure Email settings. They'll be using unencrypted insecure mail so if you don't need to use them I'd leave them retired. 

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola, here is latest  went back to email, three grey dots forever.... presses refresh still same, followed advice and cleared cookies, tried again and one grey flashing dot,  pressed refresh, no change.   cleared browser history etc and tried again, three grey dots but refresh caused cookie prompt which I rejected,  three grey dots... tried refresh still same but then tried apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite/# only in the address bar without the TalkTalk Comunication Ltd bit and then refresh and this worked.  

checked forwarding and this is blank..    

Community Star

Hi TOTDY-2-1 

I'm happy that you've secured your mailbox and more so that there's no Auto forward.

Nice one.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know about the sign in routine. We always appreciate your feedback.  I've never been able to replicate the issue but will keep on looking for that elusive root cause.

Thanks again.

Popular Poster

Gondola, sorry for late reply, as you might have guessed from my original email address I have been busy with what is going on in the world...

Anyway, during the gap,  child's PlayStation highjacked, Spotify highjacked, all linked to PayPal who managed to block some of the "strange" activity.

The common denomination is my email account, I have no idea why after all the work this has happened. but activities are apparently from UAE and USA and CHINA

There is no help desk / customer service how on earth can I find out what has happended,  I am working through changing every contact using this email as an ID but have grave suspicions that my Talk Talk details heve been rendered "available" across the world...…. 

I was historically advised that my details were not disclosed during the previous TalkTalk hack, can I find out if this was in fact the case, 

Sorry to go on but, in the middle of everything else, this is a nightmare.

Community Star

Hi @TOTDY-2-1 

To try and identify if your email address is associated with a known data breach you can try the haveibeenpwned.com website.  This has a database of reported and discovered data breaches.

Let us know if you find your address on any of the known data breaches.

In post 5 and 8 I gave some advice:

• Scan devices for virus and malware attacks and remove any found
  • Secure your mailbox with an ultra-strong password
  • Make some security checks of the mailbox

This will help to keep hackers out of your mailbox and not able to read your emails.

Popular Poster

Hi Gondola, ran the f secure virus again this morning and the report shows none of the previous unchecked files listed at all, I have checked the event page and the system seems to have been blocking various things most of which are "geo plug in java script geo.gp" over past months

Big question is has my f-secure done it's job, can I be confident that it is safe to use this computer, terrified that "someone" is capturing what I am doing, especially with passwords accounts etc etc  

Community Star

Hi TOTDY-2-1 

I think if you've followed the guidance then you should be 99% confident in being well on top of security.

Top tips for staying safe online 

There's always that tiny risk... but TalkTalk Online Defence is there and always updated to defend you against security threats.

So, be confident that you are safe and secure.

Anything else I can help you with today?