Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email access history

ANSWERED
14 REPLIES 14
jowilson1111
Popular Poster

My talktalk emails were hacked.

The police want me to access my email history so that I can get IP addresses for them. 

I can't see anywhere on my talktalk email account how I do this. Please advise.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @jowilson1111 

Both I and OCE_Ady from TalkTalk gave advice on your earlier topic here.

You didn't respond and you haven't updated your Community profile with your details or the email address that's been impacted.

I have alerted the TalkTalk Team as it would be best for the TalkTalk Security Team to handle this.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the affected email address to Private notes and Save changes.

Please confirm when completed.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

jowilson1111
Popular Poster

thats a bit rude..!? I didn't reply as the issue was resolved. I used the help I got from talktalk to change my password on my talktalk email.

This now is a different question / problem, hence the new request for help.

I reported the hack on my email / fb and instagram to Action Fraud and as stated the cyber crime team want me to get my email access history. you now haven't answered that question or offered any advice on that?

perhaps you could do so? i would really appreciate that. thank you

jowilson1111
Popular Poster

Gondola, have completed mr personal formation, although I don't see why I should considering I don't have a talktalk phone line or broadband and since being hacked I am careful about what information I put on forms and is out there. I don't see the benefit of doing that but have done so in case it helps talktalk.

perhaps you can now advise me how i see my access history which is what I need to provide to the police. 

Gondola
Community Star

...I have alerted the TalkTalk Team. Wait for their response.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

jowilson1111
Popular Poster

so, its the case that you as the email holder can't access your own access history?? and you have to go to the provider? is that so?

my experience of Talktalk is not that good as when I've phoned them about this they say as I don't have a talktalk account i.e no talktalk phone or broadband they can't help me!

Community Team

Hi jowilson1111, just so that I send this to the right place. You're asking for a list of logins and IPs to track access to your mail account?

jowilson1111
Popular Poster

that's right, since the 29th July 2019 please. this is so the police can see about investigating the hacking if the suspects IP address is in the Uk and traceable. thanks

Community Team

Hi jowilson1111, we can provide the information to the police as they investigate the case. The police have channels into our security team through which they forward requests like this and we will provide the information directly to them.  I'm afraid the data is protected and we can't provide it directly to customers. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you. 

jowilson1111
Popular Poster
Solution

Thanks but surely that data is mine to obtain if I like?

I actually work for the police and yes I'm sure they can send in a request but I am entitled to it too.

What is your legal reason for not supplying it to me? It is my data so DPA and GDPR do not apply as though a 3rd party is asking for it. You have answered this incorrectly.

What you are actually doing here is taking up law enforcement time which doesn't help reduce cyber crime in any way does it? 

Please confirm you will not supply it direct to me and your proper legal reason to back that up.

If you won't please pass me your complaints procedure as I do believe you should provide this to me the data holder and your response is not backed up by protocol, policy and law. Thank you

Community Team

I consulted with our security team and they advised me that the records of email transactions belong to us, but that we happily provide them when requested by the police in relation to an investigation. If you'd prefer to make a complaint that's entirely your prerogative. 

You'll find the complaints process at the bottonm of every TalkTalk webpage or just click the link. You'll need to follow the steps for the CEO team. 

jowilson1111
Popular Poster

Hello.

Do you realise I'm looking for access history not Records of email transactions like you quoted?

Other providers have this on their settings screens or provide upon request of the account holder.

I do believe this is my data and you still have answered incorrectly.

Please provide me with your complaints procedure.

I hope you realise that you are not helping to tackle fraud and are a hindrance in this area as I'll let the cyber crime team know but they have specifically told me providers should provide it to the account holders.

I don't know if the cyber team will spend 30 mins completing a ripa / GDPR authority to obtain access history which at the end of the day they may not do anything with if the suspects are not Uk based.

You are wasting Law Enforcement time and efforts that could be better placed to help elsewhere and is unnecessary for them when I should have it.

I hope you understand my point?

Please as well as sending me the complaints form / procedure pass this up to policy makers so they can change this for the future to assist in keeping us all safe as your current policy is both worng and counterproductive,

Community Team

Just to be clear you don't want the login dates, times and IP addresses? If not then what exactly do you want? 

jowilson1111
Popular Poster

yes i want the access history, so yes dates times and IP addresses. What i don't want is content of emails which I thought you were meaning.

Community Team

Then I'm afraid you'll have to follow the process I previously described. My information came direct from the team manager of Security who deals with these issues day in day out.