cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email not syncing

11 REPLIES 11
Chatterbox

I had to join TalkTalk Mail plus to avoid my email account closing. I joined to pay the £5 a month. Since I did this I can longer receive or send emails from mail on my phone from that account even though the tiscali email is set as my default. I’m unable to read emails if I log in to mail plus due to the format and a lot of annoying adverts. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Blearagirl 

To check that each mailbox address is working please sign in to TalkTalk Mail and for each mailbox address compose and send the same mailbox a message.  That's to check that you can sign in ok and that the mailbox is both sending and receiving mail messages.

Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount.  For each mailbox please sign in to your Mail Plus MyAccount and check that the mailbox address is listed in My Mailboxes.  Each mailbox (nominally up to 5) must be listed there to remain fully functional on your mobile phone.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount.png

If you need to Add an existing TalkTalk mailbox select 'Add an existing mailbox' - you'll need to know the email address and its password and it'll be added so long as that email address isn't already listed in association with another current or former MyAccount.

Manage TalkTalk Mail in MyAccount - Add an existing mailbox.png

The above image shows adding a homecall email address but just enter the first part and then select the domain name to complete the email address, from the drop-down list, and then enter the password and select Add. The email address should be added to the My Mailboxes list.

Let us know that all your mailboxes are added to your Mail Plus MyAccount in My Mailboxes or if you have any problem in adding them.

In case you need TalkTalk support to help you, please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chatterbox
My mailbox is working but unusable - if I log in to mail box plus I can’t read emails due to adverts or see who sent them. I want my emails back on mail on my iPhone default mail as they did until Tuesday. I can’t set up a new account as the account already exists.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Blearagirl 

Good to know that the mailbox is working. That's the key thing.

I get it that you don't like the TalkTalk Mail mobile layout or the advertising. 

Before going into troubleshooting the email app on the iPhone we need to know if TalkTalk have disabled the iPhone access which they may have done if the mailbox is not listed in your new Mail Plus MyAccount.

Do you think you could please sign in to your Mail Plus MyAccount and check that the mailbox address is listed in My Mailboxes.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi

The email address is listed in my mail plus account and is also my Apple ID. At present my mail is syncing iCloud and Gmail accounts but not tiscali. I’ve give up on TalkTalk Mail as unreadable.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Blearagirl 

Assuming that the addition of the tiscali mailbox to your Mail Plus MyAccount was done when you first subscribed then there's no reason to believe that TalkTalk will have disabled mail app access to your iPhone.

But iPhones are fickle things and may have just stopped working with your tiscali mailbox.

The troubleshooting is to first power off the iPhone and then repower. The switch off / on trick that sometimes gets the technology working again.

If the reboot doesn't fix the mail app, next is to remove the tiscali mail account from the iPhone and set it up again once more. Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone and the tiscali settings are given in Email settings - IMAP or POP3 IMAP account setup is recommended. 

Does that set up ok or do you get an error message and if so what is it?

TalkTalk will wish to know how you get on. So give us some feedback please. If it's still not working on the iPhone app then TalkTalk can take a look at the setup from their end.

If they say all is ok then there is something to try which is set up the tiscali mailbox on a gMail Mail app. I know from experience that will set up automatically and will work.

If that does work then to see what's going on with the iPhone mail app I usually ask to see screenshots of the mail server setup screens to make sure they haven't been auto-configured with the wrong settings.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Blearagirl, I've checked and we're not restricting the functionality. You should have full access using mail clients.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Apple won’t let me delete the account because it is my Apple ID.  Any other ideas why I no longer get emails? I’ve had the email address for over 10 years and not had this problem before.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Blearagirl 

Deleting the Apple ID wasn't suggested here as a suitable course of action.  But we would like to know if you followed the advice in Post 6 and what happened.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Powering on and off didn’t work. Obviously I couldn’t follow the guidance to set up mail on my phone as it was already set up as my Apple ID. In order to remove the tiscali email and set it up again I had to delete it having changed the email for Apple ID. I then had the problem that Apple wanted to send a confirmatory code to the tiscali email address which was impossible for me to read. I am visually impaired and the format and adverts make Mail plus impossible for me to read. I phoned Apple who agreed to send the code to my phone and not email. All sorted. I am disappointed that Mail plus is difficult to read for anyone with a visual impairment but will be taking that up as a discriminatory issue. Thanks for eyeryone’s help.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Blearagirl 

I'm pleased that you have the tiscali mail account working again by removing it and setting it up afresh. A pretty standard process if the power off/on doesn't fix it.

I appreciate that the Tiscali email address is your Apple ID. I don't believe you need to use an Apple ID to remove and set up afresh a mail account unless I've missed something new from Apple. There is nothing in the Apple Support site suggesting that an Apple ID is needed for these mail account operations.

As far as accessibility is concerned TalkTalk Mail is primarily browser based so there are accessibility options built into the browser or the device.

In TalkTalk Mail itself there is, via the Main Menu >Settings > Basic Settings, a high contrast option to assist the visually impaired. The Main Menu also has a link to Accessibility, the TalkTalk resource for those needing help with accessibility related to the use of TalkTalk services.

Here's the iPhone Accessibility information. In some iPhones there is the speech to text option designed for accessibility for the visually impaired using the small screen sizes where browser zoom options aren't entirely suited. Having emails read out to you may be useful and with a Bluetooth earpiece it's quite discreet.

I'll also link you to the RNIB website Connect: Technology where you can see how the RNIB support the visually impaired.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Blearagirl, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.