Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email pointing

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The email pointing to my default Pipex mailbox obscured for customer securitydial.pipex.com is not working. Emails to churchorgan.co.uk should all go to the first address. I had this problem a couple of years ago and it took a while to fix. Senders don't get an undeliverable mail message so they have no idea I haven't seen their emails. I use the system for my business so the problem is a nuisance. Can you please fix this.

Thank you.

John R

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi John

You say the pipex email is for your business.

Are you a TalkTalk home broadband customer or a TalkTalk business customer? 

The reason I ask is because pipex is nominally under the umbrella of TalkTalk Business (TTB) so your first point of support is provided by TTB.

If you're a TTB customer or not a TalkTalk customer at all please get in touch with TalkTalk Business Support. You can LiveChat or call on 0800 083 3003 - Mon-Sun 8am-6pm or email customerservices@talktalkbusiness.co.uk.

TTB should have a record of the registered user details for the pipex email address to match to your personal details that you'll need to provide to them when requested.

Let us know how you get on.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Gondola,

I tried the business group. I had an automatic email reply form them on Friday but nothing's happened since. Here's hoping.

Thanks.

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi John

TTB Support are usually fairly swift by all accounts. Try a follow up call on the Freephone number 0800 083 3003 - Mon-Sun 8am-6pm

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

I got a reply back from the other group about a week ago saying they've changed a few settings and it should now work. It still doesn't work at all and is causing me problems. It almost seems they don't know what they're doing. The last time I had this problem it was dealt with via this forum system which is why I took this approach to start with. I think Andy Oce (something like that) got onto someone to sort it out.

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi John

TTB Support are usually pretty good.  Ady is not here this week to ask but he'll be back next week all being well.  I don't see this exact issue being dealt with in your posts history so it's a mystery.

To clarify the situation. Emails from church are sent to another email address.  What domain is that other email address?  Is it a personal email domain hosted on a personal domain server?  That mailbox forwards the emails on to your pipex mailbox but they're not being received in the pipex Inbox.

Have you tried to get the church to send emails direct to the pipex mailbox just to make sure the pipex mailbox can receive the originals? Or changed the forwarding to another email address just to make sure the forwarded email can be received elsewhere?  Just thinking of the troubleshooting you can do to isolate the root cause

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I'm sorry I didn't realise you'd replied Gondola.

The @churchorgan.co.uk address domain is my own and is the one I advertise. Any alias points the address to obscured for customer securitydial.pipex.com. The pointing use to be taken care of UUNet (I think) but am sure it's is now done by Talktalk. I had this problem a year or two back and it was a Talktalk problem then although initially they didn't think it was.

The only thing I've heard back from Talktalk business is that they're still looking into it. Have you managed to speak to Ady as he seemed to be a good help in getting it sorted before?

I may leave Talktalk as the ex Pipex customers have had all sorts of problems over the last few years including not being able to access our mailboxes for several days at a time.

Thanks.

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi John

The information in your last post is positive confirmation that TalkTalk Business (TTB) Support are the ones to advise you.

You have a personal domain name and mail forwarding hosted by another company and possibly managed by TTB and billed for by TTB. I was under the impression that TTB were no longer operating domain management services but you'll know who you pay the bills to - either TTB or an external hosting company to manage the re-registration of the domain name and manage the mail server hosting and mail forwarding.

The troubleshooting steps you can take are:

• Send an email to the pipex mailbox direct from another email address
  • Log on to the mail forwarder's web portal and redirect to another email address and then send an email to the churchorgan email address

The first will prove if the pipex mailbox is working ok but you should also sign in to the pipex mailbox and make sure there's no blacklisting of any incoming messages.

The second will prove that the mail forwarding is still good albeit not to the pipex mailbox.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Gondola,

The Pipex mailbox receives emails without any problem and have sent this to my regular clients.

I'm still struggling to find out who does the email pointing so I can't try pointing to a different address. It was originally arranged by Nominet many years ago but they and BT (who provide my webspace) seem to think it's Talktalk now. The problem two years ago was a Talktalk issue with old legacy pipex emailbox not accepting pointed emails.

John

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Sorry, I meant to say in my last message that the Pipex mailbox receives emails addressed directly to it without any problem but not ones which are supposed to be pointed to via the friendly address. It is the default Pipex address which I've sent to my clients.

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi John

The pipex mailbox is good so that's the first bit of troubleshooting completed.

Nominet are a domain name registrar. Nominet may also be providing the email hosting.  I'd say you may wish to contact Nominet directly. See what they say and let us know.

You say BT provide the website hosting for the domain name so clearly the registration of the domain name will be good.

You definitely need to find out who is managing the renewal of the domain name registration and who is hosting the email mailbox.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

I can now confirm, having found some hand written notes and also speaking to BT again that Talktalk do the email pointing (or are supposed to be!), which is what I thought. Talktalk used to also do web forwarding for my web domain name when I formerly used Talktalk webspace. I changed over to BT webspace 2 years ago and the web forwarding was then handled by BT instead of Talktalk. This involved getting an A record from Talktalk. The email pointing however remained with Talktalk at my request and has continued working most of the time.

As it's a legacy Pipex mailbox and I don't even seem to have a Talktalk account number I don't have access to any part of the Talktalk website that allows me to change email pointing settings myself.

Thanks.

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi John

The A record just links your domain name to the BT web hosting servers so that when someone wants your website the Domain Name Servers (DNS) point to the BT server hosting your webspace.

Looking at the MX mail server for your domain does show that mail hosting is at depot.dial.pipex.com but the server just times out.

All I can say is to try TTB Support once more.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks very much Gondola,

That all seems to make sense. I don't seem to hear anything definitive from TTB now other that they'll update me within 24 hours which then doesn't happen.

John

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi AJohnR, add your landline and mobile to your community profile and then add the pipex mail address to private notes of your profile and I'll see what I can find out for you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello Ady,

Ok. I'll have to do this later today I've got to go out imminently. I heard form someone on the business department yesterday (on a Sunday!) and they are going to push things along today. From something I found out on Saturday it may be that the pointing to all @dial.pipex.com mailboxes may not be working so you may be hearing from a few other customers this week. I imagine very few people use the pointing these days as not people use the legacy Pipex mailboxes anyway and only a few proportion of them use pointing via another address. You may remember this problem occurred a couple of years ago just a few weeks after all the Pipex mailboxes were completely out of action for nearly two weeks.

John

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Give me a shout when you're back. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I've updated my details. I'm sorry I wasn't able to do this yesterday. Talktalk incidentally doesn't provide my landline or broadband service, just the mobile and emailbox service.

Thanks,

John

Highlighted
Community Star

Thanks John

Ady will pick the details up tomorrow and push for a resolution with the TTB Support colleagues.

We've also found another customer of TTB mail hosting reporting the same issue. So you're not alone and Ady will be able to present both cases to TTB tomorrow.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Gondola. I agree, the other thread seems to be about exactly the same problem. i.e. email pointing.

John