cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Email server certificate is invalid on Android app Outlook using legacy Onetel email after migration

ANSWERED
36 REPLIES 36
247cookie
Conversation Starter

My legacy Onetel email account was migrated yesterday after 10+ years of happy emailing.

My Android (version 10) phone connects to the TalkTalk website using a web browser and my email address and password work as expected.

My Outlook 2010 on my home laptop works as it should following a change from POP3 to IMAP.

But the Outlook app on my phone does not automatically find the correct server settings. Looking at all of the help pages with server settings none point me to the correct ones for Onetel following migration.

When I add in advanced settings (having to guess!) it comes up with the error message about the server certificate being invalid.

Can anyone help please?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @247cookie 

Outlook on android uses SSL/TLS security by default.

The incoming mail server host name is: imap.onetel.com:993

The outgoing SMTP server host name is: smtp.onetel.com:587

Username is mandatory: your full onetel email address

Password is required: your onetel password

Fill in the Username and password fields where indicated.

Let us know how you get on.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

247cookie
Conversation Starter

Unable to log-in

The service is currently offline.

Please try again later. If the problem

persists, please contact customer

services. (701)

OK

Gondola
Community Star

Please screenshot the new settings.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi 247cookie 

Are you still getting the certificate error? If so, have you accepted the certificate. It'll be a TalkTalk certificate so can be accepted.

Is your password just 6 characters? Hopefully you'll have set up password recovery so you can use the Forgotten password button to update the password. Changing your email password. For security there are minimum requirements. I recommend exceeding those minimums with a 12-15 multicase letters and numbers password including an added symbol. 

I have seen the system reject email client connections when the password is non-compliant.

247cookie
Conversation Starter

Yes the certificate error keeps happening.

Yes is  6 digit password which I will change in due course. All other other email clients work so when I get Outlook Android app working I will change the password; yes I have set up a recovery profile as directed before the migration.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi 247cookie 

I recommend you change the password now. Update your devices / apps with the new password and if the certificate error happens then select the option to accept the certificate.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 247cookie, are you still seeing the certificate error? 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

247cookie
Conversation Starter

I'm still seeing this error message:

I've changed my password as well now.

Unable to log-in

The service is currently offline.

Please try again later. If the problem

persists, please contact customer

services. (701)

Gondola
Community Star

Hi 247cookie 

As the fail appears to be impacting your android mobile only and the setup was good I think you may need to consider if the mobile is capable of running the Outlook app. i.e. is there enough space for Outlook?

Have you considered removing Outlook and using the built in email app or the Gmail app that may both be installed?

247cookie
Conversation Starter

Hi @Gondola,

I've been reading up on the different apps that Android can use and Outlook seemed the best for my use. It's one I use for other email accounts as well so this is an additional email address on the same app. I've checked the memory and all seems to be OK.

I'll look at the built in app as the gmail one is a bit clunky for my liking.

Gondola
Community Star

I mention removing Outlook and trying another app to get a handle on what's wrong.

One of the standard fixes is when Outlook gets corrupted.  Remove and reinstall of the app when it gives the 701 error code is a troubleshooting fix. But a remove of Outlook gives you the opportunity to see if another mail app does work.  If it does it confirms Outlook as the problem.

247cookie
Conversation Starter
247cookie
Conversation Starter

Hi @Gondola 

OK.

I've downloaded the Samsung stock email app. Added in manually the details as above and I get all emails coming in first off but it says that it cannot send emails.

It tried a test email but it just sent it to the Outbox.

It failed on outgoing email connection to the server and came up with:

Alert

Unable to connect to email server to verify

your account information. No response

from server

OK

Half way there I guess........................

247cookie
Conversation Starter

Success!

Samsung email app. Settings in screenshot below.

Remove security and SSL as well

Gondola
Community Star

Interesting.

In the past I've had trouble getting the Samsung native app to work with secure settings. I have to say I'm not that surprised. But I'd rather you weren't continuing to use insecure mail.

In this situation the Gmail app has always had success in a secure setup. I'd appreciate you trying the Gmail app and adding an IMAP personal account.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi 247cookie, it looks like Gondola has this in hand for you. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

247cookie
Conversation Starter

You're right - I'd rather not use an insecure mail app either!

I tried to add in the security in various different ways and nothing worked with the Samsung app, except with no security.

I've tried gmail and that doesn't work.

I tried the auto setup and it didn't like the security for this account. Sounds to me like it doesn't like the security at Onetel/TalkTalk. So I tried adding it manually with and without security and nothing worked as couldn't open a connection to the server.

Gondola
Community Star

I think the issue has got to be with the phone and how it's handling secure connections.

I could ask you for the Gmail incoming and outgoing server settings but I'm not sure that would help in this situation.

Summarising. The Samsung app works but insecurely.

Gmail will attempt to set up a secure connection.

Outlook will work only with a secure connection.

So, feel free to post screenshots (obscuring the first part of the email address please) but my troubleshooting advice would be to try a different phone. Preferably Android 7 or higher.