Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Emails from amazon have been redirected

ANSWERED
16 REPLIES 16
Popular Poster

Hi my emails from amazon have been hacked so that they are being diverted to a different email address( a gmail account)

how do I get the diversion off ?

thanks

Community Star

Hi @Looby1 

Go to the TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

Main Settings menu (triple line icon top right header - mobile browser use desktop version)> Settings > Select the arrow by Mail in the side panel> Auto forward - disable > Filter rules - disable.

If your TalkTalk mail account has been compromised do you need help to change the password to lock out unauthorised use?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster

Hi thanks for your suggestion but it was not enabled.

i am getting all other emails just not ones from amazon 

Community Star

Hi Looby1 

If the incoming emails to your TalkTalk mailbox are being diverted to gMail but there's no Auto forward or Filter rule in your TalkTalk Mail settings where did you see that your Amazon mail was being sent to gMail?

Conversation Starter

This happened to me in March, I was getting emails from Amazon with a password change link and then that my password had been changed as requested, which I hadn't done. It seems some how  the scammers were able to receive my emails from amazon and change the account.

After speaking to Amazon I cancelled my bank credit card and then deleted all card details on Amazon. You need to report this to amazon and they will pass it to their fraud department. Also as a further safeguard go into your amazon account and enable Two-Step Verification. this will text a code to your mobile number.

Hope this helps

Trevor Wassell
Popular Poster

Thanks, I have cancelled all my cards and reported to the fraud dept. But I cannot get into my amazon account as the reset password email keeps going to the new email address and amazon have said it is something talk talk need to sort out. 

Community Star

Hi Looby1 

If Amazon have confirmed that the issue is with TalkTalk then that means the issue is with you.

Your TalkTalk mailbox specifically. i.e. Amazon are saying there's a Filter rule diverting the Amazon reset emails to the hacker of your mailbox. 

So you do need to get the password changed asap to lock out the hacker and disable or delete all Filter rules as previously advised in post 2.

Sign in to your TalkTalk Mail here and check via the main menu that the Update your reset details (for password resets) contain your email address and mobile 'phone number.

Then when you use the Forgotten your Password? option you'll see an alternate shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, so then please reset the password.

Popular Poster

Found another thread with someone who had the same problem and have managed to get emails again. 
thanks for your help 

Conversation Starter

Glad you got it Sorted. Did you find out what problem was, Can you advise how you sorted it for future reference or can you send me the other link.

It is worrying that someone can get into our amazon accounts by changing the password, i was still getting the emails and this was the only way I knew someone had changed my password, they had also left an item in the basket. still can't understand how they diverted the emails.

Trevor Wassell
Popular Poster

Hey exactly the same has happened to me. My Amazon account was hacked on Wednesday and since then I have not received any reset emails from Amazon.  I changed my Talktalk password as a precaution on Wednesday and I have checked my update reset details which are still mine. No forwards are on as far as I can tell and Amazon confirm the emails have been accepted by Talktalk however they are not reaching me.  How did you solve the issue please?  I am so frustrated by al of this 😞

Community Star
Solution

Hi @Almondnutcase 

Have you signed in to TalkTalk Mail and checked (via the Edit function) / Disabled or Deleted (via the Dustbin / Trash icon) all Filter rules?

Filter rules - Disable

A compromised mailbox password and a hacker can set up a filter rule to forward just the Amazon password reset. If left in place all password reset requests will go to the hacker. But once they've accessed your Amazon account they can just as easily come back and cover up their work by deleting a filter rule that they've set up.

Changing the mailbox password is essential to lock out the hacker.

Popular Poster

Hi I followed the instructions from Gondola and had to disable and delete a filter that had been on my email account. Once I did that I started to get my emails from amazon again.

I have now managed to get into my amazon account again and set up two authentication now to be able to sign in hopefully this might make it a bit harder to hack

Community Star

Hi Looby1 

Nice work.

Two factor authentication is definitely to be recommended where it's available.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know. We always appreciate your feedback.

Popular Poster

Trevor if you look at the info from gondola he shows you how to check on your email account if the hackers have set up a email diversion.

when I checked they had so once I disabled and deleted this I started getting the emails from amazon again

Popular Poster

Thanks for helping me sort it out 😁😁

Popular Poster

Hi thanks @Gondola 

I double checked and there was indeed a filter on that I somehow missed the first time I looked.  Now removed and receiving Amazon emails.  All passwords changed and 2 step verification set up so hopefully nice and secure. 

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

Community Star

Hi @Almondnutcase 

Doubly nice work.

Two factor authentication is definitely to be recommended where it's available.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know. We always appreciate your feedback.