Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Emails not sending over 4g

ANSWERED
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi, I’ve just switched to 3 and got an iPhone XR. I’m trying to set up email using the settings provided by TalkTalk. I can receive emails ok over 4g but they won’t send, they send ok when connected to WiFi though. The error message I’m getting is that the SMTP server user name or password is incorrect. It isn’t, I’ve checked and checked again. I’ve deleted the account and set it back up again too. 

My previous contract was with O2 and I had to go through their server to send emails over 4g, obviously I can’t do that now. I’ve spoken to 3 and they say it’s nothing to do with them. I’ve spoken to TalkTalk and they say it’s not their problem as I can use webmail. I don’t want to use webmail I just want to be able to send emails through the mail icon on my phone. Can anyone help please?  

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi AlisonH1, I take it you've followed the information in the email POP and IMAP settings help article

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

Yes I’ve done that but it’s still not working 

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Solution

Hi, I had a similar problem with sending on 3 Mobile when my iPhone was out of range of my router WiFi i.e. using the Talktalk smtp server setting. I developed a workaround when I wanted to send via 3 and a 3G mobile connection path. 3 Mobile are a bit piccy and probably view your talktalk smtp settings as a 'relay' so you could try this tweak -

Set up a parallel email IMAP account on Apple mail using the TT incoming server setting i.e. mail.talktalk.net on port 993 but use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk on port 25 as the smtp server setting. Using IMAP means that received mail arrives in your normal inbox but you may have to accept that sent mail could appear in either of the now two sent folders - TT account or 3 account.  

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you so much, it worked! 👍🏻 It’s been driving me mad and nobody else seemed to be able to help me! Brilliant 🙌🏻

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Great spot Mikeyar, I've marked your post as Best Answer. Thanks for posting. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.