Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Emails that contain a particular address never arrive

6 REPLIES
roger200
Popular Poster

If I am sent or have a message forwarded to me that contains a contact address obscured for customer security anywhere in the text, the message never arrives. It is not just me as I have checked with other talktalk users and the same problem occurs. There is never an error sent to me or the sender. Other email addresses such as outlook, hotmail and gmail receive the messages without problems. How can this happen without an error? It means I lose confidence in the talktalk system.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @roger200

This TalkTalk email user has just tested the receipt of an email from the contact domain and received without problem. So there's no TalkTalk policy block on the sender's IP address or email domain.

You'd ideally like an X-Spam rating of 0 but this sender's email had an X-Spam rating of 1.  Now that's not going to get that particular mail blocked as spam but it does mean that there are elements of potential spam.

Have you checked your Trash folder? That's where, in webmail, the spam is sent.

Gondola - I'm a TVPlus customer *
roger200
Popular Poster

Yes I have checked trash folder, spam, webmail and filters and there is no sign of the message anywhere. If it is sent to my talktalk address and my outlook address it arrives in the outlook only. As I said I also tried with another talktalk user at a different location and he found exactly the same. As it arrives in outlook using the same mail program but not in talktalk there is obviously some block going on. It effects a message even when the address is in a lower part of a message that has been forwarded more than once. Remove the address and the message arrives so it is obviously being blocked by something in talktalk related to that particular address.

Gondola
Community Star

...the sender's email arrived here in a talktalk.net mail inbox. That rules out a TalkTalk block on the sender.

If the content containing the email address is not 'received' when the mail has the sender's email address in the body of the forwarded mail but is received when the sender's email address is removed I think that's pretty conclusive that the email address has been associated with spam in the past and is rejected. Ties in with the X-Spam: 1 rating as I mentioned.

I wouldn't be surprised if TalkTalk settings for spam rejection are tighter than some other well known email providers. TalkTalk is getting tough on spammers.

I believe the new TalkTalk mail will manage spam slightly differently and instead of rejecting spam it will be delivered to the Spam folder. That will mean that users will have the opportunity to confirm that possible spam is in fact wanted mail.

roger200
Popular Poster

By all means send suspect emails to spam but don't just lose them. This needs to change. I have found that I have not received mails from a German colleague in the past, probably for the same reason so a change in the way you handle this is urgently needed. The address in question is a respected solicitor in Horsham so no reason to be labelled as spam. As for stronger controls, they don't seem to stop obvious spam emails telling me I have a tax refund due! If you want to check where these emails go, set up a talktalk mail address and I will send you two messages, one with the blocked address and you can see if it arrives in Webmail and then check where it has been stopped. Unless this this is changed in the new talktalk mail you talk about I will have to change my email supplier as I can't afford to just lose messages which might contain important information.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Roger

I've sent you a private message.

14/03/18 20:30 Mailbox empty...

14/03/18 21:30 Mailbox still empty...Will look at the end of the week.

roger200
Popular Poster

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Gondola, I have been a bit involved in something else. I am a bit confused about the private message, where should I look for this? I do not seem to have something in my inbox or should I look somewhere on the community site? Thanks for your help