cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Errors downloading email with homecall account with MS Outlook but webmail ok.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

A new router is on the way for testing.

This should arrive in the next 24-48 working hours.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thumbs_up

Some people call me Victor Meldrew. I don't believe it!
Highlighted

Your Welcome.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

New router arrived this morning and installed around mid-day 30 minutes after powering down the old one. I attach a document showing connection data of both routers and the results of speed tests. Very little difference shown. They are from different manufacturers so there is ia difference in format how results are shown. I deleted my ip number from both.

I still have unreliable email in that most times I go to my computer I find an error message. Also now my wife has problems on her laptop using Mozilla Thunderbird email client. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to get email downloaded including messages saying the account not recognised.

However, some of the problems may be caused by updates of MS Windows, anti virus software, MS Office, MS Thunderbird, other utilities and applications etc etc. Every day there is something updating. For instance yesterday there was an update of MS Office 365 (which includes my email client Outlook) and with neither warning nor explanation it has fundamentally changed the way I access email account settings so that the old method totally removed that option and only by accident did I stumbe upon the new way to access an account. Today there was some indication that Mozilla Thunderbird was updating on my wife's computer although it was impossible to confirm.

It seems that the connection between email clients and TalkTalk mail servers is very fragile and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Which side is at fault I cannot say but I suspect weaknesses on both sides.

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen, there was an issue relating to our system that led to this problem. I'm told that it's fixed now. Could you retest and let me know if its working ok. If it isn't try removing the account from the mail app and then adding it back on. 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I am still having errors this morning. My experience overall has been with all sorts or error messages including the account not recognised, mail server not responding and connection timing out. Currently, because Microsoft have made usbstantial and unexplained to Outlook 365 Home I am unable to edit account settings. I did manage to access the account settingst once a few days ago but now that route has become hidden or removed. I am even struggling to find the current place to send a query to MS.

Highlighted

Do you have any other devices that don't use the Outlook app?

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Yes as I have already explained my wife has a laptop using Mozilla Thunderbird as email client. I have an ipad with separate icloud email address. My ipad does run outlook if i need but I have never confirgured it for my email account.

Much has happened since my last message so here is a summary.

My personal MS Office account does give some limited support (it would need to be a business account for full support) and I have used online diagnosis of my settings to suggest improvements to how I use Outllok. I was using a back-up addon utility called Coldplex but now disabled it as was advised it slows how Outlook opens. Also there was advice to ensure the service "Backgroung intelligent transfer" was set to "Automatic, delayed start" so I did this. However, just just checked and it had reverted to "Manual" so reset it as advised. Windows must have changed it back during an update.

Yesterday Microsoft technicians took control of my PC for 90 minutes and attemted to get Outlok working better but the intial response was that it was server settings and referred me back to TalkTalk. I explained I was working with you on this and needed their help to reset my accounts so they made backups of all my folders and told me how to delete the accounts. It seems the functionality I needed is now found in the windows control panel under account management rather than within the email client. There is a function for MS to do the configuaration but only with the full support so after that failed I went manual.

When later I made new versions of the old accounts I tried setting one to be imap rather than POP3 following the strong advice on the web page you rerred to in an early message. With imap I could not even pass the first test of settings so had to start over using POP3. It was very hit and miss getting them working and for one I had to remove all but four emails left on the server before it would be connect. Since I did this yesterday connection is very hit and miss with a variety of error messages.

And now for the issues with the new router...

It has proved impossible to reconnect my wireless printer to the router. I had documents critically important to print so in the end I sat the printer precariously on my desk and used a USB connection. Since then I also tested it by an ethernet connection on my wife's laptop so two out of three of its connections are fine. My ipad and my wifes laptop connect wirelessly to the router. With a printer it is impossible to enter a wifi code so it has to use the wps button and nothing happens

Download speed is weird. The router has reconnected at least twice and shows an increase in reported connection speed from about 28 to 30 then 32mbps. However measured download speed remains stubbornly at around 24.6mbps whereas historically it is usually ony 1.5 to 2.0 mbps lower than the value reported by the router.

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen, I've tested your mailbox and it seems to be working normally now. Are you still having problems with it?

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Yes the both my homecall.co.uk addresses are still failing regularly with a variety of messages.

I have managed to reconnect my wireless printer by completely removing it from both computers, resetting it back to factory settings, then using the Epson CD and USB cable to reinstall. The WPS function of this new router is totally useless. With my ipad and laptop the WPS function also failed and I had to enter the wifi code manually. Off course, that is impossible with a printer as it has no input functions hence the need for a complete uninstall and reinstall. A lot of work for no benefit to my email and a slower download speed.

The HG633 router I received seems to have bad expert reviews on the internet and the advice is to buy something better. If I do acquire my own router will it work with my TalkTalk account?

Highlighted

Can you test your email again this morning please? The team have put some fixes in places.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Perfomance is still hit and miss. Radom failures and messages all morning. Also download connection speed still increasing as the router resets connection each day but measured download stubbornly staying unchange so difference is now huge. Router reports connected at over 33mbps but measured download (using two services) is  24 to 24.7 mbps.

You did not answer my question about using a third party router so I have made my own research. According to Ofcom, internet neutrality gives users the absolute right to use a router of their own choosing and not to be tied to the isp's routers. Therefore I am taking advice on the approriate specification and seeing what the market offers. Another approach would be to set the TalkTalk router as a bridge so it only acts as a modem then use a better router. However, that may not overcome the shortcomings I am seeing in the connection ability of the TalkTalk router.

Highlighted

There's no reason that another router wouldn't work as long as it meets the specs. Many of our more technically able customers choose to use their preferred brand and model and it's not an issue. You may be asked to test with a TT one if you report sync or speed issues just for the purposes of eliminating the third party router as a problem, but we'd do the same if you had a TT router as we have done with you already. 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

This morning my email is unusable. Both homecall accounts give continual errors when I attempt to receive emails in Outlook and I am unable to access the webmail page ieither through the link I normally use of going through my TalkTalk account webpage. The service check in my TalkTalk account says all systems are go.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I also attempted accessing webmail via my ipad and it reports network connection was lost. My wife's homecall account using Mozilla Thunderbird on her laptop also fails to connect.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

It is only homecall accounts not working. I can send from outlook using a talktalk.net account to my icloud address on my ipad then reply and receive the reply in outlook on my pc. So only thing not working is the homecall server.

So perhaps it has been the source of my problem all along and now totally fallen apart!  Maybe something will be done about it!

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Webmail is back after one false start but the email server is still failing to deliver emails to my outlook client.

Highlighted

Hi Kannyken, do you still have access to them via webmail? 

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Still have access to webmail and it shows 9 unread messages in my main account going back seven hours which is by far the longest period your server has failed to deliver to my email client.

Here is the error message confirming the failure on both my homecall accounts. (Email address redacted of course!)

Task '******@homecall.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: -ERR Cannot connect to POP server 212.74.112.80 (212.74.112.80:110), connect error 10060'

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen, there's an open incident for this issue. You can check the progress on the service status page