Did you mean: 
Need help?

HELP!

ANSWERED
62 REPLIES 62
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

PLEASE HELP....

I am a Talk Talk customer but because I dont own a mobile phone (is that so bad) I cannot seem to get help from Talk Talk. Furthermore I suffer from a few health problems that make me hard to understand which, when one is trying to get help from someone from the Phillipines would be hilarious if it was not so frustrating and occasionally demeaning for both parties. Previously during times of no service when I could not get help, I emailed Dydo Harding the ex CEO which seemed to get things moving but my problem now is purely technical and well this community is brand new to me and hugely overwhelming...

My problem is that I cannot access my HOTMAIL email account at live.co.uk. My PC(s) will not display 95% of Microsoft websites, including one that a google search hints might be the answer to the problem.

I know my way round PCs a bit, I've built many and fixed a lot. However my illness is degenerative and my meds dont help...

I've tried flushing the DNS cache and various other things I discovered on "Toms Hardware" and "How To Geek" with no luck. Chrome, Edge & Mozilla will not display the page. 

Rebooting my router does not help. 

the message displayed on the pages I can't reach is as follows:-

This site can’t be reached

login.live.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Try:

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Although I have been possibly a power user for 15 years I have never used Outlook, I could not see a point in storing emails when it all worked perfectly in the "cloud"  .  I mention that because I've had 2 folks telling me to just use my outlook app. 

Every other website works as per normal, only active microsoft pages seem to be affected. 

ANY advice would be very gratefully received even a tip for contacting Talk Talk tech support without a mobile phone number at this stage. I've been without emails for over 14 days now. 

This is my 1st sort of post, I joined here out of frustration. 
Thanks in advance
Pete
Help!
Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Log into the router & try changing the DNS server addresses within the internet configuration to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4). You can do this easily in just about all TT routers with the exception of the DSL-3782.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Keith,
1St up Thanks.
OK Thats the 1st time I logged onto this router and I cannot find any mention of DNS on any of the Internet tabs.

Is it worth noting that I changed something in Windows (10) a few days ago to those exact figures, following a guide I found.
Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I found some DNS settings under VDSL but I cannot edit them.
Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Not fixed. I just followed Mark as Best Answer instruction. Sorry forum newbie, thought I was helping.
Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

I have tried all sorts of settings on the router and either there are no settings as you describe or I'm looking in the wrong place. 

I have tried every tab now and found none where any DNS number is user configurable. 

I have trying to upload Screengrabs for 10 minutes but I just realised its no images... 

I honestly dont think I've done 3 whole days without checking my emails in well over a decade let alone this long. 

Help!
Highlighted
Community Star

What router do you have? To include images, just use the Photos button on the toolbar.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith,

I posted that and other info when I started a 2nd, similarly named topic. Which I did because I clicked "best answer" on something you wrote, thinking I was giving something like kudos rather than, it seemed, closing the discussion. 

I cant find it now... I did mention on that topic, that I could only upload PDFs and docs, not the screengrabs I had taken. Is that what your photo comment relates to. 

The router is a HUAWEI GG633 Vers H1.01.

Ahh found the photo upload nice on thanks. I presume that the taskbar does not appear on "quick reply" 

Sorry I was away from here for most of the Weekend BTW, My Son came to stay. 18 and more demanding than me lol.... ROUTER1.PNGROUTER2.PNG

Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
The 2nd identical Topic I started seems to be gone but some of the stuff I wrote is now above. I presume they've been merged. I have read several forums without joining and saw that happans but an admin usually says something. Although they are hobby forums run by enthusiasts which I suppose is different.

I really have now idea how this works, do I just wait now? Messages seem to be disabled.
From what I can see the chap helping me is very busy but could someone give me an idea of if I might get a reply tonight. I'm trying not to sound pushy but I've had no access to my emails now for probably a fornight :O(
Cheers
Pete
Help!
Highlighted
Community Star

On your first screenshot about the internet configuration, click the Edit button, then tick Static DNS and enter them there. Your other screenshot about Dynamic DNS (DDNS) is something totally different.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

No Joy i'm afraid Keith. To be precise the page is still not displaying nor has the message changed. 

However I will reboot the router and chrome to see if that helps then leave a quck reply.

Thank You so much for your ongoing help. 

Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
No. The reboots did not help either unfortanately (and my spell checker does not work here it seems)
Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
PS I wasnt ticking STATIC DNS originally so no full edit mode.
Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

ROUTER3.PNG

Help!
Conversation Starter

Is there anybody out there? Please remember I dont get a notification if I get a reply, because I have no email access. I have several alternative addresses but they are all hotmail, live, msn.com or .co.uk simply because its worked well since 2004 when I got back into computers.... So my only recourse is to keep the tab open and keep checking in. Although I'm not far off housebound I do have a life, and an electric bill. I dont use mobiles, tablets or laptops for the internet ,

The frustration of waiting hours for answers is not far off that of no emails. Its nearly 11pm now and I'm going to assume no-one is able to answer until tomorrow, in all likelihood after 6pm although I'll look in just in case during the day. 

Night.  

Help!
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Wish there was an edit function. that "or" should not be there after the email list....
Help!
Highlighted
Community Star

I am just a customer trying to help you I offer no guarantees as to a response time.

I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use on-line chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Keith. 

Cheers. I appreciate you explaining that lot. 

As it happens I got a phone call from Talk Talk half an hour ago, a recorded message saying my services where going to be terminated today!!!  The line then went dead. IE Call ended suddenly. So I rang 150. I was assured that it was a SCAM. Whilst on the phone to someone with whom communication was good I mentioned this problem. He said its a known issue and gave me a Microsoft number to ring, which I am about to do. I will post results here. 

Regards

Pete 

ps i have put as much up there as I can but I do not own a mobile phone. I live alone and my landline and internet is my link to the outside world, other than trying to walk my dog twice a day. 

Help!
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Pete, what is a known issue? Not being able to get onto Microsoft websites isn't a known issue. Are you able to get the sites to load and then you get time outs when you try to login or can you simply not get Ms websites? 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Ady, 

Just got in from walking the dog. 

"Known Issue" was what the chap at Talk Talk said to me. He said they had had a few customers with the same problem and were told to pass them on to Microsoft.

The microsoft chap used remote assistance, something Ive never had to do. He then did everything I have already done, got the same results and ended up telling me I need to re-install Windows 10. I had to walk the dog so took an assistance number to call back later.

Whilst walking it occured to me that what he suggested is pointless. I have 2 working PCs here andneither can access the pages, nor can my sons Windows phone when using the routers WIFI, however he can when using his phones mobile data. 

Thank you for replying. I feel like bloody crying mate, this has gone on too long. 

Help!