Did you mean: 
Need help?

Help please - emails disappearing on new device

7 REPLIES 7
dazza5152
Participant

Hi,

Can you help please? A quick summary of my problem:

I have been with talktalk / tinyonline / tiscali for years and always downloaded my emails to my own laptop as I do not want them left on a server anywhere around the globe.

My current laptop although working fine to me is getting a bit old so bought a new one and with the new one I also bought Office 2019 with Outlook so I can download my emails as before to my new laptop as well as my old laptop - for a short period I want to run both the current laptop and the new laptop in parralel till I am sure the new laptop fully works to how I want.

Problem:

1. I can download emails to my current laptop as before no problem of course
  2. After setting up Office 2019 Outlook with all my talktalk / tiscali / tinyonline accounts I can download emails also to the new device - please note for the additional email accounts I also paid for talktalk email plus as I have too many for the broadband account
  3. The problem is that for two of my main talktalk accounts and a lesser used talktalk account after I have downloaded the emails as soon as I go online with the old device all the emails for these accounts disappear which is really worrying - my guess is it is something to do with IMAP settings and how talktalk manages its servers? Please help as I need to get my new device working asap

I need the ability to download to both devices and my emails for all accounts to stay on both devices without ever disappearing as before, but I do not want a copy kept on a server somewhere in the cloud.

The old / current device where everything works ok is Outlook 2010 or 2012 or something - the new device where the talktalk emails disappear as soon as I go online with the old device is Office 2019 Outlook

Can you help please?

Many thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dazza5152 

Unless you use your own mailserver then at some time or another your TalkTalk mail will pass through a TalkTalk server and Mail Transfer Agents.

For each TalkTalk managed email address there's a mailbox hosted on a TalkTalk mail server. The mail will be on that server until downloaded and deleted.  The important thing is to have your connection to the TalkTalk server encrypted using SSL/TLS security.

When the user connects to the mailbox using IMAP protocol either via an Internet browser or email client the mailbox folders are viewed on the browser or email client. Multiple devices can see the same mailbox folders. The user can save mail messages locally. The user has to initiate deletion from the server as required.

When the user connects to the mailbox using POP3 protocol the Inbox is by default downloaded to the connecting email client and the server is requested to delete the successfully downloaded mail message(s). Only one device at a time can do this operation.

So, using POP3 protocol, one device can be used to download and delete mail messages but other connecting devices would have the POP3 email client set to download mail messages but to leave those messages on the server.

Some users prefer to download and set for deletion after a preset time. e.g. Delete after 7 days or 30 days etc.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

dazza5152
Participant

Hi Gondola,

I hope you are very well and safe in these worrying times.

Many thanks for your response - I had to read it a few times as i am not a technical person but think i understood most of what you said.

Can you help with the following then as i do not know much about talktalk email browser settings as prefer my own local outlook folders.

For my current old laptop (outlook 2010 or 2012) I download my emails from talktalk, tinyonline, tiscali to my local machine and for all 8 accounts the emails never disappear from my machine unless I personally delete them, I just checked all 8 email account settings on this old machine and they are all POP/SMTP.

For the new machine 6 accounts are set up IMAP/SMTP with SSL/TLS security and 2 accounts POP/SMTP. - the accounts that appear to be deleting my emails are IMAP - I dont actually want to use IMAP as prefer POP but when Outlook 2019 set up if I tried POP it wouldnt work for most so let it auto set up IMAP hoping it would work. The problem is all the IMAP emails keep being deleted by the talktalk servers on this new laptop as soon as I use the old machine.

What do I need to do to ensure both old and new laptops download and keep my emails locally on them and only get deleted on either of them if I want to manually delete them - I cant have my emails disappearing like this - I take it this must have happened to others like me to who dont want to save their emails in a cloud server globally. How do I adjust talktalk email settings so my emails on the new laptops (and old laptop) dont disappear and get deleted?

Thanks again,

dazza

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @dazza5152 

The new IMAP device will not see the emails downloaded and deleted from the server by the old POP3 device.

Te quick fix is to set the old device and the new device POP3 accounts to each leave a copy of messages on the server.

Here's the microsoft advice Read POP3 email messages on multiple computers.

dazza5152
Participant

Hi Gondola

Many thanks - I have now deleted 2 IMAP talktalk accounts on the new device and set them to POP3 on the new device and left it at 14 days before deleting from server on the new device and 7 days on the old device. I have downloaded POP3 emails to both old and new devices for those 2 accounts and they are both staying on both machines and not being deleted which is fantastic. Can I check that once the 7 & 14 days are passed and the emails deleted on the server that my POP3 emails will still remain locally on my own devices / laptops please?

I have another 2 talktalk email accounts to set up as POP3 on the new device after I have deleted the IMAP accounts set up by Outlook 2019 in auto mode as IMAP which I dont want but will get to that later hopefully.

I also have Tinyonline and Tiscali accounts via talktalk email plus I pay annually for that I need to set up as POP3 on the new machine Outlook 2019 - can you confirm the set up credentials I need to use such as encrytion, incoming / outgoing addresses and correct port numbers etc please - thought best to check first before I attempt this?

Thanks again your help is much appreciated.

dazza

Gondola
Community Star

Hi dazza5152 

With MailPlus the important thing is to make sure the mailboxes are added to the MailPlus MyAccount so they're listed in the My Mailboxes area. This is essential to safeguard them from deletion. So long as the payments via Direct Debit are made the mailboxes will be ok.

Managing your email in My Account 

If a payment is missed then there will be a restriction applied to limit access to Webmail only until a payment is made via the MyAccount. Just a heads up for that scenario. About TalkTalk Mail Plus 

The email settings are Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

All downloaded emails to a POP3 mail account will remain on the device until the user deletes or removes them.

Bear in mind when devices are connected to the server that the device that's set up for download and leave messages on the server for 7 days will take priority. You'll not see older messages in the Inbox. So as long as you connect at least once a week all devices will download their own copy of the Inbox mail messages so you have each device being a backup to each other device.

You'll need to sign in to TalkTalk Mail to view the other folders and manage the mailbox features.

dazza5152
Participant

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for your help, my remote outlook email works fine now really appreciate your help, I just have a couple more queries please?

I am a little concerned I may lose an email address because I didnt quite understand a little bit of what you wrote.

I have used up all 5 email accounts that I can from my main talktalk MyAccount area which is fine and located from my broadband MyAccout area however I am not sure about talktalk email plus. I have 3 set up in the talktalk email app area which I download to outlook and pay an annual fee for but I cannot find a talktalk Mailplus My Account area to add these to - how do I do this please? I do not want to pay for the Mailplus service then lose my emails yet they are all working at the moment?

Basically I have 5 emails set up in MyAccount for my main broadband account area but do not know where to set up the others for the MailPlus MyAccount area as I cannot find it?

Many thanks,

dazza

dazza5152
Participant

Hi Gondola,

My apologies I just checked things my side again and realised I had forgotten we had to set up a new seperate MyAccount for MailPlus which you kindly guided me through - I have done this and I have added the 3 extra legacy emails to it - then I get an annual £50.00 charge to this account. My other account is the main talktalk broadband account which has the other 5 emails registered to it and I pay monthly for.

Sincere apologies I forgot this was already done so all covered off via 2 seperate MyAccounts - one for MailPlus My Account the other the main talktalk MyAccount.

cheers

dazza