Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

How Do I Change My Email Password?

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Team Player

When I log in my My Account / Services / Manage Webmail / Select my email address and "change password"  it changes the My Account password.

Can anyone tell me how to change my email password? I also note that if you follow the instructions on the new password window (max 20 characters etc and a list of acceptable symbols) your password is rejected and a new red border popup window appears with conflicting information (max 16 characters etc and a very restricted list of symbols) I would have thought that TalkTtalk could easily fix this!  Anyway after numerous tries, cursing and hair pulling I noticed that the red border popup changes the password rules and I succeeded in changing the My Account password which I I did not want!

Any help  would be appreciated to change my EMAIL password.   

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @benarty 

My personal recommendation is to make the MyAccount sign in username / email address a non-talktalk email address.

When you change the password for the talktalk email account that's also used for the MyAccount sign in then the password for both the email account and MyAccount is changed. 

In my view that's a security issue. If your email account is compromised then your MyAccount is also potentially compromised and if that happens then the passwords for all your talktalk listed email accounts can be changed.

If you have a different email sign in for MyAccount then the MyAccount password will not be changed when you change any of the passwords for the listed talktalk email accounts.

Just for extra security for my MyAccount email sign in account I also use two-factor authentication.  The email account will require you to sign in with a password and a keyword sent to the mobile phone. That email account will not be compromised unless someone knows the password and has my mobile.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@benarty  - On the "My Account" page click on the box titled My Details & Settings. On the next page that opens look at the menus/submenus on the left hand side and within the 3rd one down you will see "Login Details" - click on that and you will be taken to a new page where you will be able to change your e.mail password

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for the quick reply , however I am not quite sure if you understood my post correctly or perhaps I was not clear enough. I do have different passwords for My Account and Email and when I followed the above procedure only the My Account password was changed and my email password was not. I discovered this when I opened Thunderbird to change my password and it immediately downloaded my emails.

I will have a look at the other suggestion. 

Highlighted
Team Player

I have tried the second suggestion which just takes me to the same page but I have now selected "Manage existing email addresses" rather than "change password" and I now get the following message when I enter my email address.

myaddress@dsl.pipex.com cannot be added to this account because it is already linked to this My Account. Please try another email address.

Even although they are different passwords it look  like I may need to take the first suggestion and change The "My Account" log-in to my Gmail address which does not make sense as the passwords are already different.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @benarty 

If you're trying to change a legacy email account password like a pipex password via MyAccount then until the pipex email is on the new TalkTalk Mail platform you'll not be able to change its password via MyAccount because there is no direct link between MyAccount and the pipex platform.

If you need a pipex password change then that'll have to be managed manually by the email team.

If the pipex email is your current MyAccount sign in then changing the password via MyAccount will simply change the MyAccount sign in password. This is exactly what you've described isn't it?

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes that is correct. I have had the same password for many years initially sent to me by Pipex before Talktalk ever existed. It is a simple 7 letter lower case word that now needs to be changed and I have tried numerous times in recent years then simply given up. Should I simply send an email and ask for a new password?

Please do not suggest that I need to telephone them. 

Highlighted
Team Player

I have now tried to  do this through Live Chat. Explained the exact situation, many times over, and after about 45 minutes answering questions and following instructions I managed to change the "My Account" password again! Thunderbird and webmail are still straight in with the old password. I will now try sending an email and see if I can find someone with a brain. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hey, @benarty, over here! Waving to you... it's me...

I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you to get you a Pipex password change.

The team will be back online on Monday.  In the meantime, please check / update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current address and contact 'phone numbers and then scroll down and add the pipex email address to Private notes and then Save changes.

A TalkTalk OCE will pick up this topic from Monday onwards and will be able to see that the pipex email address is already associated with your MyAccount. 

An email team member will 'phone you on the mobile, check security with you, give you a long awaited ultra-strong password and stay with you to check that the new password works.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi@Gondola Thanks for that. I have also sent an email an explained the situation so I will wait and see what response I get. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi benarty,

If you'd like us to have your pipex password changed can you also please add your date of birth the the private notes section of your community profile, and we'll sort this out for you

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Done

Highlighted

Hi benarty, I've raised the fault ticket for you. The password is reset and you should get a call from Ranadheer later today. Please let us know how you get on. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

I have had no phone call from Ranadheer. I missed a call from someone early yesterday morning I thought he said was Andy, could  have been this OCE_Ady, ?? I have been unable to access my emails for the past two days as my password now appears to be have been reset, or has the Pipex server just gone down again!! I have also had no  reply to the email I sent last Friday.

Please note that I am not a hacker so if you have changed my password you need to tell me what it is so that I can access my emails!!      

Highlighted
Team Player

Still no email access, this is the third day, no support available and no reply to a private message I sent to OCE_Ady early this morning.

Highlighted
Team Player

@Gondola This now the 4th day with no email access and no support from TalkTalk. I now wish I had left the old weak pipex password alone. I still do not know if it is a server issue or if my password has been reset without telling.  

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @benarty 

I've pushed a reminder to the TalkTalk team that they need to follow up with another phone call to get you the new password. 

Ady did say the password had been reset and you'd get a phone call. It's just that you missed the call and another is necessary. 

Try Live chat to see if the weekend support can assist but if not then the TalkTalk team will pick up this thread on Monday. 

Highlighted

Hi Ranadheer, tried and failed to get hold of you, but tells me he left messages on landline and mobile. I've asked Flavia to call you today with your new password. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Ady  Thanks for that. As noted above I did get messages left on landline and mobile early last Wednesday morning. Unfortunately the caller spoke extremely quickly in very broken English and I thought he said his name was Andy, but it could have been Ranadheer. I have had no contact since and this is day six with no access to my emails. My landline, mobile and Gmail address are all on my profile page so I look forward to hearing from Flavia and getting this sorted.

Highlighted
Team Player

@Gondola& @OCE_Ady All sorted so many thanks for your help.