cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

How do I delete my old tiscali email addresses

10 REPLIES 10
Chatterbox

I am having the same problem.  I am a former customer and need to delete my email address and my husband's.  Please can you help?

Community Star

Hi @Sandra Curry 

Make a written application to the Data Protection Team who will verify you as the registered mail user take your instructions to delete your data as is your right under the GDPR 'right to be forgotten'

Information and address is in the help page Access information we hold on you 

Deletion is a good choice to protect your reputation and security. Do let us know how you get on as it's good to get feedback.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Chatterbox

I can't reset my password - as the alternatives that showed up for me were my husband's email address (which has also been hacked) as well as a totally random email address which we don't recognise.  Is there any other solution please?

Community Star

Hi Sandra Curry 

The two options are:

• Ask the Data Protection Team to delete the mailboxes
    Each registered user will need to make an application
    The application(s) can be posted in the same envelope
  • The TalkTalk team can set up new Reset details for each mailbox
    To enable each user to set their own new ultra-strong password

If you really wish to protect your own security and do not need the mailboxes then getting the mailboxes deleted asap is a wise decision.

But if you wish to await TalkTalk team support here I'll guide you on the steps.

Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola 

Thanks for your update.  Before I read your last message, we posted a letter to DPO asking Talk Talk to delete our accounts as we no longer require them.  Both my husband and I signed the same letter - will that be ok?  Or shall we redo one each?

We went for the delete option as currently it is impossible to get hold of help from Talk Talk.

Please can you advise whether we should send off some more letters?

Community Star

Hi Sandra

Perfectly ok. If the Data Protection team need more verification they'll ask you.

Essentially, if you've followed the advice on verification of your identities and they can verify that against the registered user name(s) for the email addresses it'll not be a problem.

They'll let you know when the mailboxes are deleted. In normal times that job is done and dusted within a week of receiving your letter.

Let us know so we can keep track of progress.

Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola 

Thanks again.

What do you mean about the verification process please? 

Our letter said:

"As our email addresses have been hacked and we are unable to change our passwords, we are writing to you to erase our personal data, as is our right under The General Data Protection Regulation. 

The email addresses in question are: 

...... & .....

Please confirm our email accounts have been closed".

Our home address is at the top of the letter and both my husband and I have signed the letter. 

Do you think this is sufficient please?

Community Star

Hi Sandra Curry 

The guidance help page Access information we hold on you gives details of the necessary documents needed to verify both of your identities.

In addition, to verify the registered user of an email address we'd normally suggest providing in addition to the above personal data the address and landline phone number for the address used when the email address was first issued.

Basically, sufficient information to verify against the details that TalkTalk hold for those email addresses. Normally 5 items of personal data are sufficient.

I don't think they'll accept that there is sufficient data for them to be sure. They have to be sure because deletion is not reversible.

Chatterbox

Hi @Gondola 

Thanks again, what 5 pieces of information do you recommend we supply to Talk Talk, as i am struggling to work out what is needed after looking on the link that you sent me.

I can supply home address and landline number when the original contract was taken out, together with out names and email addresses. What else do you think we would need please?

Thanks

Community Star

Hi Sandra Curry 

My apologies. 

When I last looked at the help page there was a list of acceptable documents for verification purposes. But I can now see why you're asking because I cannot see that list in the new version of the help page.

It now just says "Remember to include enough information for us to identify your account and ensure we can verify you are authorised to access this information."

So, what's normal is to provide:

• Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Current address and landline phone number
    supported by copy of Council Tax bill
    or copy of bank statement etc
  • Former address and landline phone number relevant to the email address
  • Email address for deletion
  • Signature on the letter

That would be sufficient in my opinion. NB Only send copies of documents as they're not retained or returned just used as part of the initial verification.

Chatterbox

Hi 

@Gondola 

That's great thanks for your help.  We shall crack on and sort it now.

This widget could not be displayed.