Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

How to Find Out if TalkTalk Servers are Blocking an Incoming Email Address

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Chat Champion

A friend's emails to a couple of my toucansurf email addresses are failing to come through (OK when sent to gmail), although she can receive outgoing messages from my end.  Her emails originate from an NTLworld account and I believe my addresses are not the only ones involved.  She has less than perfect experience of PCs and thought that she had picked up a virus.  However, her tame PC guy says the problem may lie more in her email address having been harvested for sending out scam emails recently.  When questioned, her answers are pretty fuzzy and my interpretation may be way off.

Anyway, I've checked that her email address is not on any blocked senders list locally (mail client is Outlook), but it could be the case that TalkTalk's mail servers have decided that her address is malicious and blocked it at the ISP level.  Is there any way I can find out?  I assume that this information is privy to TT and not accessible by me.  Can an OCE find out?

Many thanks for any help.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @mniven 

Give your friend a link to this article: Compromised or spoofed accounts 

It may help to identify if her account has been compromised or if, as the IT expert suggests, the email address has been spoofed to send spam.

Ask her to go to this link: https://mxtoolbox.com/deliverability and follow the instructions to get a report on the deliverability of her email.

Google (gmail) and Microsoft do keep their own blocklists but the mail delivery tool I've linked to may indicate if the email address, IP address or sender is on another blocklist.

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your email address and your friend's email address with any relevant other notes and finally save changes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi mniven, have you checked in webmail that you've not get her email address blocked? 

Ady

Chat Champion

Hi both,

Thanks for your feedback.  @OCE_Ady, I have looked at webmail.  I'm still on the old Pipex webmail system and I can't even find an option to block an email address.  Certainly I've never tried to block an address in the odd times I go direct to webmail rather than using an email client (Outlook).

@Gondola, as usual, great support!  That TT article about email spoofing is just about the right level to explain the problems to a non-technical person.  I will send the link to her.  I tried the link to mxtoolbox on one of my legacy email addresses but the report is a bit difficult to interpret by someone who always finds networks a black art.  The short report email from them indicated DNS Record Status from DMARC and SPF as 'x'.  Maybe this is because the old Pipex email system is not as secure as the replacement will be?  The Blacklist gave SORBS spam as 'listed'.  I do know that some time back, there was a data breach that released many TT email details into the wild and this report may reflect that?

Anyway, thank you both for your time and will contact my friend to try and get her to do the mxtoolbox test.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have sent both links to my friend and 'phoned her to give more background explanation.  Let's see whether she follows up on it.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Just a quick update. The lady in question was told to turn off her router for a short time (by her tame IT guy). Presumably this results in an allocation of new IP addresses? Anyway, she reckons this has cleared the problem. I'm not totally convinced of this as a long term solution, but she seems content to go with it. I can't see her doing much more, so I'll leave it there. Again, thanks to you both for your comments.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi mniven 

Grateful thanks for taking time out to let us know.

If SORBS SPAM happened to be listing an IP address range and one of the IP addresses was dynamically assigned to your friend then the advice from the IT guy was good especially if the newly assigned IP address is not 'spam' listed. 

Nice Valentine's Day present for your lady friend.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi mniven, thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady