cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

I can't see any emails from before July 2017.

11 REPLIES 11
Phaedra1
First Timer

Hi,

Can you help me access emails from before July 2017 please? I can't see any at all before this date. Thanks, Karen

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Karen

If you sign in to TalkTalk Mail (assuming your email address has been migrated to a new TalkTalk mailbox) and select Folder View / double arrow icon as shown in the image (desktop version) or Folders (on the mobile browser version) or Menu (on the app version) then you'll see the Inbox and other folders.

Select the View Layout option Vertical or Compact and in the middle pane you'll see the messages List view. That's got a scroll bar so just scroll down to see older messages. Select Inbox from the Folder view. With a lot of messages the easiest solution to see the oldest message is to use the Sort by option and select Date and Ascending in the drop-down box. That will show the oldest message at the top of the list.

If messages have been Archived then there's the Archive folder. If the Archive folder has an arrow icon then select that to expand the Archive into its year by year folders.

Folder Tree.png

If you still don't see your messages pre 2017, look in Trash or My Folders (expand using the arrow icon if present) to see if messages are there. If you don't see them and they're not downloaded or backed up on another device then it's unlikely they'll be found easily.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the email address to Private notes and Save changes. 

The TalkTalk Team OCE will be able to check your original webmail mailbox to see if anything is there that's not been copied over to the new Mailbox.  All messages should have been copied by default.  Other than that there is no TalkTalk backup of messages as it's up to users to save copies of messages locally.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Phaedra1
First Timer
This is helpful but how do I access archives please? There is nothing pre 2017 in my folders or inbox. And how do if get talktalk to carry emails across for me from pre 2017? Thanks!
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Karen

The Archives folder appears in TalkTalk Mail but only when messages have been selected for archiving. If you don't see the folder in Folder view there are no archived messages.

When did you last see messages in your Mail Inbox dated pre-July 2017? Prior to the upgrade to TalkTalk Mail?  Since the upgrade to TalkTalk Mail or just recently?

TalkTalk doesn't delete Inbox messages. The reason for asking is just trying to get an idea of what may have happened to the messages.  All messages in the former Webmail Inbox should have been copied to the new Mailbox.

Phaedra1
First Timer
Gosh, I don't know. I haven't really looked for old messages for ages. I have been with Talktalk for about 10 years though if that helps and should have loads of emails from pre 2017.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Karen

The older messages not being retained in the Inbox may depend on how you were using email messaging prior to July 2017.

If only using webmail or accessing messages via an Internet browser then with the exception of a mailbox corruption all messages would remain in the Inbox until moved to another folder or deleted.

However, if messages were collected by an email client or app on a computer or other similar device and that email client (for example, Outlook or Thunderbird or other) was configured in the early format for email communication (POP or POP3) then the default for that is to download and delete emails from the TalkTalk Mailbox. So, you'd see email messages in the Inbox on the computer but they wouldn't remain in the TalkTalk Inbox.

If that looks like the way you were using email messaging prior to 2017 then the older emails could be on the older computer?  If you did make a change to the way you were using email messaging from July 2017 onwards then that may be one explanation of where the emails are/were. What's your take on the possibility?

Phaedra1
First Timer
I have changed computers over the years and have used outlook. Can anyone help me look at the older emails via the Talktalk website though please?
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Karen

I alerted the TalkTalk team when I first replied and OCE_Ady has been monitoring this thread. You will though need to update your Community profile as outlined at the bottom of my first post (post 2 in this thread).

I expect Ady will reply here tomorrow.

Phaedra1
First Timer

Thanks so much. I hope to hear from the Talktalk person tomorrow. Karen

Community Team

Hi Karen, when you access webmail have you checked every folder for the missing mail?  Have you ever used POP settings in a mail client like Outlook on one of your devices that collected mail? I ask as we don't offer mail backup which means if we're going to find the mail it's going to have to be on your devices or in webmail.

Phaedra1
First Timer
Hi,
I have checked all folders and several old laptops. I have definitely used POP3 outlook and have also used webmail but there is nothing pre 2017 on either. Karen
Community Team

POP3 is the problem Karen, it pulls the mail from the server. If you'd used IMAP it would have taken a copy and left the mail on the server. Once the mail is taken from the server it's gone from us. We're not going to be able to help you recover this mail. It's going to be a case of locating it on in a mail PST on one of your devices. Sorry.