Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

I can't send email from I-mail app

13 REPLIES 13
Bludog
Popular Poster

So to cut a long story short.

I can now receive mail to my Mac mail app but I cannot send mail this has been an ongoing problem since January 2020 at the point i could not send or receive.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bludog 

You need to enter your full talktalk.net email address as the Username or the SMTP mail server will not authenticate your sending. The mail app will indicate that the Username is optional. It's not.

The TalkTalk.net email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username username@talktalk.net
Password Yes
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS
Authentication Yes, Normal password

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Bludog, if Gondola's advice get this sorted for you please mark the post as best answer to reward the effort.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Bludog
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

Thank you for your reply however nothing has changed, I have attached a couple of screen shots in the hope you can help further.

Kind regards,

Alan

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Bludog 

The screenshot is showing me an insecure authentication tick box. That's not the normal setup for a talktalk.net mail account.

Normally, I'd expect to see secure authentication, a TLS certificate appropriate for TLS 1.2 and a sign in with the normal password.

Can you show me the Server Settings tab please.  NB for your security please image edit to obscure the first or local part of your email address.

OCE_Ady

Hi Bludog, Gondola will get you sorted of that I have no doubt. If there's anything that needs my input Gondola will let you and I know. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Bludog
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Please see screen shot below. 

Hopefully they help

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Bludog 

On the Server settings tab

• The Username must be your full email address1
  • Untick automatically manage connection settings
    This is so we can check what the connection settings are
  • The incoming POP3 port is 995 (already used I see)
  • The outgoing SMTP port is 587
  • Incoming Connection security is Use TLS/SSL
  • Outgoing Connection security is Use TLS/SSL or StartTLS if available
  • Authentication method is Normal Password

(1. I may have confused you by asking you to image edit out the first part of the email address).

On the Advanced tab

• Untick Allow insecure authentication (if that's still there)

Bludog
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Sorry but i still can't send or forward email, please can you check my screen shots to see if i have done everything correctly.

Best regards,

Alan

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bludog 

All of the settings look good and I see the logs now report that there's a connection to the SMTP server so that's one step forward.

But the mail server is rejecting the password that Apple mail or Apple keychain is presenting. So, just check the password does work in TalkTalk Mail and you can send to yourself from TalkTalk Mail without any error message coming up. Then update the saved password in Apple mail / Apple keychain.

Apple advice on managing passwords in keychain.

Apple advice on viewing keychain stored passwords

OCE_Ady

Hi Alan, please follow Gondola's advice and let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Bludog
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

I have updated the password which is the same but still cant send, sorry.

Regards,

Alan

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Bludog 

I was confident that removing the previously saved keychain password(s) and entering a proven password would work.

Which means that I'll ask if you're ok continuing troubleshooting with a different email client on the MAC to determine if that works ok? 

If your MAC meets the system requirements for Thunderbird I'd suggest downloading the Thunderbird email client to set up an IMAP mail account as a test. Setting up as an IMAP email account doesn't alter the mailbox just mirrors what's in the online mailbox.

If Thunderbird does work ok then that means you know the issue is with the Apple Mail / Keychain / icloud Keychain

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

Change the default email app

Email Settings Email settings - IMAP and POP3 

OCE_Ady

Hi Alan, please let us know how you get on. 

Ady