cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

I use my smartphone for emails and this morning all cannot send emails from my tiscali email

35 REPLIES 35
decfin1
Team Player

I sent an email this morning from my iphone mail app. Went through fine. 5 minutes later went to send another and get a message saying 'The username or password for 'xxx@tiscali.co.uk' is incorrect.

No idea what has happened. I have checked the settings and they are as advised on talktalk website.

Incoming mail is fine

Anyone got any ideas?  

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @decfin1 

Just in case you need TalkTalk help then to link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

Are you using the iphone's email app or a different app and is it set up as a POP3 or IMAP email account?  What incoming and outgoing server settings is the app using?   Have you received any other error messages?

Load up the chrome browser and sign in to TalkTalk Mail here. Compose and send the mailbox a message to check that the message sends, is copied in to the Sent objects folder without error and is received and stays in the Inbox.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

decfin1
Team Player

Gondola,

Thanks for responding.

I am using the Iphone Mail app.

Have tried using TalkTalk webmail in Chrome browser, sent message to my other email address. Didnt go through, got this message 

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxxx@gmail.com] (554 - 554 5.2.0 4NpMkTZ989Ivq Sender Denied (TT608)
)

Gondola
Community Star

Hi decfin1 

The TT608 error message accompanies a block on sending because the system has detected multiple concurrent sign ins to your mailbox from different geo-locations. It's a spam protection measure.

The block can happen if you're signed in to the mailbox whilst on holiday and someone is signed in at home or if you're using a VPN and sometimes sending outside of the VPN and sometimes using the VPN or if signed in at home and then use your mobile away from home. For using your own personal mailbox it's best to just sign in from one location at any one time.

So if you sign out of TalkTalk Mail for all devices and take all signed in devices offline for the moment and then sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail only and see if the block on sending has been removed.

If not, then change the password and leave it for 5 minutes and sign in again to TalkTalk Mail webmail. Changing your email password 

decfin1
Team Player

Gondola,

I have done as you suggested. Have changed password and have logged back into Mail through browser.

Have sent a test mail to myself from other account and it has come through fine, bit still cannot send out, receiving this message

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [Dec Finnegan <xxxx@gmail.com>] (554 - 554 5.2.0 4PDVkU7Ye9Ivq Sender Denied (TT608)
)

I have also changed the password for imap.talktalk.net on my iphone but his will not not receive messages, saying it 'Cannot get Mail' the imap.talktalk.net' server is not responding

not sure what is happening now

decfin1
Team Player

Gondola,

re previous, I can now get incoming mail on my iphone but still no outgoing, error message as per previous

Gondola
Community Star

Hi decfin1 

I recommended taking your devices offline / signing out so that the TalkTalk Mail platform had an opportunity to recognise that it's just you signing in to webmail.  For the moment the server is still blocking your sending because it's still detecting multiple sign ins from different locations / devices. 

Is your mobile connected to your home wi-fi at present?  i.e. mobile data is switched off?

What I suggest for the mobile is to remove the existing mail account and add the email account afresh. Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone 

Let us know how you get on.

gazzawazza
Whizz Kid

@decfin1 wrote:

Gondola,

re previous, I can now get incoming mail on my iphone but still no outgoing, error message as per previous

I had almost identical issues on Wednesday (same TT608 error but another, separate error too - login details get rejected by the server).

Just cleared itself later on in the day.

Only differences to you are that my phone is Android. I rarely send from it but receive on it.

I send from my PC using an outlook client.

Prior to Wednesday it was fine.

Note since Wednesday, I've had intermittent send issues, though no more TT608 errors.

I can send from webmail but my email client sporadically just gets an SMTP error (sending email servers are called SMTP - it rejects my login and prompts to verify my username and password). Of course there's nothing wrong with the username or password.

It's extremely annoying and has repeatedly interfered with me sending both work and personal emails.

decfin1
Team Player

I had actually turned the iphone email app off, I will now switch off mobile data so the only connection to the talktalk mail servers should be through the browser.

I will log out of the mail on the browser and log in again.

I note your suggestion about removing the existing mail account on my phone and adding afresh which I will do, but no point doing that until I can send mail from talktalk mail through the Chrome browser

Gondola
Community Star

Hi decfin1 

Looks like an excellent plan. I'd also like you to make sure the system has released the block on sending and that it's only you signing in to the mailbox.

decfin1
Team Player

how do i check the system has released the block on sending?

I have deleted and readded the email account on my iphone. no problem reciecing but when i look to send, it doesnt work and I now get a different message saying

'Cannot send mail' the sender address was invalid. 

not sure what causes this

Gondola
Community Star

Hi decfin1 

This usually indicates the full email address hasn't been added.

• Settings
  • Passwords & Accounts
  • Under Accounts select your email account
  • Outgoing mail server - SMTP
  • Select Primary
  • Add your full email address and password

Also check that the Sign in is selected to authenticate sending using the normal password.

decfin1
Team Player

Gondola,

since last message, I have deleted the email account from my iphone and then reinstalled. I have rechecked the settings and where the outgoing mail server left the user name and password as optional, i have populated them and heho I appear to have incoming and outgoing email on my phone. 

lets see how it goes.

Thanks for your help, it was very much appreciated.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi decfin1 

Nice one.  The 'optional' username and password isn't optional as this is used to authenticate the connection with the mail server. 

I'd be reasonably confident that with a password change also that the TT608 error / block is now off.

decfin1
Team Player

Gondola,

It was too good to last. 

now not able to send emails from my phone getting the message

'Cannot send mail: the username or password for smtp.tiscali.co.uk is incorrect.

Have not made any further changes since yesterday

SO FRIUSTRATED

decfin1
Team Player

have also just checked and now cannot send through talktalk email portal on browser

Gondola
Community Star

...and the error message is?

decfin1
Team Player

Sorry,, it is the same as yesterday

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [Dec Finnegan <xxx@gmail.com>] (554 - 554 5.2.0 4kOQkh7xEyfmM Sender Denied (TT608)
)

Gondola
Community Star

OK, so the sending is blocked.

What I'd like you to do is remove the mail account from the iphone.  You now know how to reinstall it. BUT I don't want you using the iPhone email app or any other device app for email until we've got the TalkTalk Mail webmail platform working as expected and not blocking your sending.

Do you think you can resist using email on other email apps / devices and just use the Chrome browser with the device connected to your home wi-fi only and not via a VPN.

Some security software offers VPN connection for security.  But if you do use a VPN then we need to make sure you're using email either always via the VPN or always outside of the VPN.

decfin1
Team Player

ok, will remove the tiscali account from phone, and will only use the Talk Talk webmail.

my chrome browser being accessed on my home PC connected to internet directly to router

dont use VPN's as far as I know