Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

IMAP Help - 2 PCs, 1 email address...

13 REPLIES 13
Chat Champion

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I can find some help as even after researching I am still confused on the best way forward.

I currently use Thunderbird as my email client and I am still on POP3 settings for my TalkTalk email address. I have just bought a new PC and want to have TB set up on both my PCs for the same email address, and for the inbox/sent/draft folders etc to be synchronised and match on both PCs

My research tells me to switch to IMAP settings however I am worried on a few things.

I have a lot of emails, my TB's profile folder is circa 12GB and I see TT provides 10GB email allowance (about 2.5GB is currently used). Can I set up TB on both my PCs with IMAP so that both PCs are synchronised and also so that they both save a copy of all emails on their hard drives leaving me able to manually delete emails from my TT's webmail/server when it get's close to the 10GB limit without effecting the PCs? I am worried that deleting emails from the webmail/server will automatically delete the emails from both PCs, which I obviously do not want to happen!

What is the best set up for me to use for my situation?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
James

Enlightened One

Personally @lcrjames, I would initially forget the old machine, and start with a clean slate, by setting-up Thunderbird on the new machine exactly how you want it, and only then looking at how you might need to tweak things to achieve the synchronisation you want!

~R.

Community Star

Hi James

In the Thunderbird side panel where you see your Inbox and other Thunderbird folders you'll also see Local Folders. You can save your wanted mail messages in Local Folders.  These are not synchronised to the online mail server.

You can use the Archive feature of Thunderbird. Archive to a local folder, year by year folders and you can archive to a backup device for better security.  Archiving is a manual operation.

You'll need to save wanted mail messages before deleting the talktalk POP3 account in Thunderbird to be able to set up the email account for IMAP communication to and from the server.

NB. Mail in the online Spam and Trash folders is subject to deletion when mail messages are older than 30 days. This is done to keep your 10GB mail quota for wanted mail messages. It's therefore worth reviewing these folders each month to make sure no wanted mail has been sent to Spam or Trash. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi lcrjames, has Gondola's post helped you get this sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Chat Champion

Hi, thanks for the replies, @Gondola yours in particular!

I have done more research and I think I know the way forward, just want to run it by this forum first!...

On Old PC
1. Save a copy of the profile folder
2. Make some new local folders and move emails from my inbox into them, leaving emails from this year only in my inbox.
3. Do the same for the sent emails i.e. move majority to a new local folder
4. Save another copy of the profile folder for this new set up.

Webmail/Server
1. Delete all emails!
(I assume this is the best thing to do to save any problems with syncing?! I will have all emails already downloaded onto the old PC at this stage, and I do not use webmail anyway)

On New PC
1. Install TB on new PC
2a. Copy latest profile folder into new TB so new PC is same as old PC, and then convert from POP to IMAP as per this guide; https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switch-pop-imap-account
OR
2b. Set up email address as IMAP and then copy local folders from the saved profile folder, into the new TB.

Which is best 2a or 2b, or should I be doing this migration a different way altogether? 🤔 I think I have thought this through correctly!
Also do you agree with me deleting all emails on the webmail/server to save syncing problems?

Thanks for your help.
James 🙂

Community Star

Hi lcrjames 

I suggest a different approach to setting up the IMAP account on the new PC.

• Archive your old mail messages to an external drive
  • Leave current mail messages on the TalkTalk server
  • Set up the IMAP account on the new PC to sync to all messages on the server
  • Export and Import Contacts etc to the new PC
  • Delete the POP3 account on the old PC
  • Copy the new profile from the new PC to the old PC

The reason for recommending setting up the IMAP account is because to use the same email address you'll need to delete the POP3 account first. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Enlightened One

That all looks most comprehensive @lcrjames; there is a lot of moving about going on; I hope it all comes right for you.

~R.

Thanks for posting back James. Keep us posted on your progress. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Chat Champion

Yes will do, hope to be a able to attempt this in the next few days or so when I get time!

At the moment I have just been doing my research, because I have a lot of emails and want to get this right first time!

Apparently since Thunderbird version 68 (about 2 years ago) there is a problem with just copying the profile folders over, which is what I was hoping to do, because they added a feature called "dedicated profile per installation".

If you can completely duplicate the paths for the relevant directories and use the same software on both PCs using the latest version 78 shouldn't be an issue. However this sounds a faff/complicated to me. 

I think I will end up making a new profile on the new PC, set up as IMAP and then copy and paste emails over into the relevant folders of the new profile. Hopefully that will be the simplest answer for me.

I will report back once done, as it may help others in the future.

Enlightened One

@lcrjames wrote:

I think I will end up making a new profile on the new PC, set up as IMAP and then copy and paste emails over into the relevant folders of the new profile. Hopefully that will be the simplest answer for me.

Yep, I'll go with that lcrjames. Keep it simple, keep it clean, and minimise the chance of error!  Always use Copy, rather than Move, to [tempoarily] retain the original, just in case!

~R.

Hi James, keep us posted. 

Ady

Enlightened One

Have you been able to make any progress with your file handling @lcrjames?

~R.

Chat Champion

Not yet, except for backing up the old PC on the weekend, hope to sort the new PC this week, will update in due course.

Please keep us posted.

Ady