cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

IMAP PASSWORD

29 REPLIES 29
Participant

I have not had my email account since 28/3.

ive been trying to fix it and have made mistakes and made things 100% worse. I ve been asked for an IMAP password. The initial problem was you were not recognising the email account I use all the time which is different to this one. I can’t remember any passwords so I am totally blocked. Please help.

thank you.

Community Star

Hi @aNNe8 

Password recovery will depend on whether your mailbox is active on the TalkTalk Mail platform or if it's a legacy mail account and whether you've set up password recovery.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. Please do try the Forgotten your Password? option. If there's an alternate shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password.

If there's just the option of sending a reset to the mail account for which you've forgotten the password then that means no Reset details have been set up.

If the self-help password recovery options aren't there I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you. They'll need to verify you as the registered email user, secure your mailbox and set up Reset details so you can get the password changed.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email address and Save changes.

I don't have any visibility of the TalkTalk workflow and they're currently prioritising work so be prepared for a wait until you float to the top of the queue.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Participant

Thank you. Have tried all of this. I’m trying to get into an account you are not recognising. Please add my name to the list for a TalkTalk technician to call me. I’ve been without email since 28/3. You are the only person who can put me on the list as chat line, support and telephone calls not available for me. I am prepared to wait. It is not the email address I’m using now it’s another TalkTalk email and when asked for password changes I’m not receiving the emails I can’t receive or send. Would you just confirm you will add me to the list please. I am prepared to wait as this is my only option. Thank you.

Community Star

Hi aNNe8 

I would put you straight on to 'the list' if I only knew the answers to the initial troubleshooting questions.

Just clarify please - the email domain bit of your email address - the bit after the @

Is it talktalk.net?

Did you try the 'Forgotten your password?' journey?

How many options were there? 1, 2 or 3

If options 2 and or 3 were there did you recognise a mobile and or alternate email address as being yours... or were they totally unrecognisable?

I'm asking to determine if no Reset details are set up, or if the mail account has been compromised and someone else has put details in that need removing or if they're just old details that you no longer have access to.

Grateful if you'd take time to let me know.

Participant

The email I’m having problem with is @talktalk.net

The first problems I have had So far

1 can’t send or receive emails. Message said account error check your information in settings. All looked correct at that time. Said mail server is not responding. When prompted to reset my password it’s being sent to the email I can’t open. When I selected to send to my mobile I never receive anything. 
2 I do not know any of my passwords ( my mistake)

3 I tried to change things on account page and have made things even worse.

4 I’m now being asked for an IMAP password?
All of this technical jargon I do not understand. I just can’t cope with anything more, it’s making me ill. I really need a technician to talk me through all of this as I don’t know what I’m doing. Somewhere along this terrible journey it said it didn’t recognise my account!
Please put me on this list For a telephone call, I can’t take anymore. I’m in my sixties and have never had computer training.

Thank you for your patience.

As I mentioned before you are the only person who can add me to the list.

Community Star

Hi aNNe8 

OK, so with no passwords and no working password recovery what will now happen is that I'll ask the TalkTalk team to get in touch here. They'll not be able to phone you unfortunately. 

They'll need to verify you as the registered email user, secure your mailbox and set up Reset details so you can get the password changed.

In due course a TalkTalk Community Team member will reply here and then Community Personal Message you to verify you as the mail user; so be prepared to provide on request to an OCE_ only:

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Account details
  • Include Reset details - an active alternate email address and (optionally) your mobile contact number for the team to set up Reset details for you so you can reset and choose your own password.

When verified, the password will be changed and Reset details set up allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox.

If the password has been compromised I'd suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.  Just to give you confidence that your devices are secure.

When you do get access via the TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

Main Settings menu (triple line icon top right header or cog icon on mobile browser)> Settings > Select the arrow by Mail in the side panel> Auto forward - disable > Filter rules - disable.

Participant

You say they will need me to verify I’m the registered email user. Is this for this email I’m using which is my web mail address or the email account I can’t access?
Which mail box will they secure, this one or the one I can’t access?

the TalkTalk Community Team member will reply here then Community Personal Message you to verify you as the mail user. Which account details will they ask for?

I am petrified of trying to do all of this on my IPAD to things back to normal. It would be so much easier for someone to talk me through this. I am willing to accept telephone charges if you could make a call to me!

I am really out of my depth with all of this

Community Star

Hi aNNe8 

The TalkTalk team will just work with the email account you cannot access.  So the only one they need to verify details for is the email account you cannot access.  They'll not touch any other.

They'll secure the email account you cannot access and set up new Reset details so you can use the 'Forgotten your password?' recovery to set a new password to be able to access the email account you cannot currently access.

Don't worry. You're there and we're here and we can guide you all the way. Step by step.

So, the first step is to wait for TalkTalk to reply here because they're the only ones that can do the next bit which is to set up the password recovery. They'll ask for details from you to be able to do that. We'll guide you through that bit.

The next step is to guide you through password recovery.

Then to check the mailbox is working via an Internet browser (via TalkTalk Mail webmail).

Then to guide you to set up the email on your iPad.

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad 

Participant

Do you know how long I will have to wait please?

Community Star

Hi @aNNe8 

Not too long I hope.

I'm only too aware that we haven't had regular TalkTalk support for email and webmail for over 2 weeks now.

The UK support team that we can normally rely on for support during weekday office hours has been redeployed to help vulnerable and key workers remain connected to broadband and phone services. That team is now working 7 days a week from early morning to late evening.

I have no visibility of TalkTalk team workflow, availability or priorities but I have asked for some help here and help is on its way. In fact I see that a TalkTalk team member is responding to outstanding requests right now.

Participant

I’m so sorry to keep asking questions but I’m very concerned about putting these issues right!
Should I be using my MacBook Air to follow the instructions you’re giving me when talktalk contacts me as I don’t see how I can read the instructions on the iPad and follow guidance!
Advice please?

Also will these instructions put my iPhone and MacBook working too as all three items not working!

Thank you.

Community Star

Hi aNNe8 

Whilst wating for TalkTalk support have you tried opening an Internet browser on the Macbook Air and selecting this link: https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite signed in to your TalkTalk mailbox using the talktalk email address and its last known password?

Participant

Tried this, no good.

it says can’t connect to the account “talktalk”

Community Star

Hi aNNe8 

I don't recognise that as a valid error message for the TalkTalk Mail sign in link I gave you.

Please screenshot that and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area.

Participant

When I use this link in the browser of my Mac it automatically takes me to my web email inbox. I do not know how to do a screenshot this is all too much for me.

Enlightened One

If you follow the path advised by Gondola @aNNe8  ...........

> Macbook Air > Safari Browser > https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite

................. you should arrive here ......

WebMail LogIn.gif

1. If that is the case, what exactly do you do next?

2. Do you actually type in the required information?

3. What is the consequence of your action?

[Also, are you aware of the significance of the blinking icons?]

~R

Participant

I managed to find that, I had to log out. When I logged back in it’s not showing the email account that I can’t get into. It shows this email and the one for community talktalk. When I type in the email I need it’s not highlighted and I don’t know the password.

Participant

I managed to find that, I had to log out. When I logged back in it’s not showing the email account that I can’t get into. It shows this email and the one for community talktalk. When I type in the email I need it’s not highlighted and I don’t know the password.

I don’t know how to screenshot. As I’ve previously stated all of this technical stuff I don’t understand. Please can I wait for the talktalk support team?

Thank you

Participant

I don’t know how to screenshot. As I’ve previously stated all of this technical stuff I don’t understand. Please can I wait for the talktalk support team? Please confirm I am still on the waiting list for help.

Thank you

Community Star

Hi @aNNe8 

I can confirm that you are still in the queue for direct TalkTalk support as I've pushed an escalation back into the TalkTalk team workflow.