Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

IMAP - Password reset

8 REPLIES 8
Bagpuize
Conversation Starter

2 days ago I decided to take the plunge and cease my LineOne POP server downloads to my Outlook client and do what Talktalk recommends and make use of IMAP instead.  I duly closed down my POP setup and setup up IMAP.  Having done so I uploaded all my emails to the new inbox/sent items etc.  Having done so all has been well until this morning.  Trying to login I am told my account has been blocked because of suspicious activity and that I should change my password.  My Lineone account has disappeared from My Account so I cannot change my password.  After 35mins on the phone with tech support they advise that the matter has to be escalated and it will take 5 working days to issue a new password.

This is a totally unacceptable situation and yet another example of the contempt TT seems to have for LineOne account holders.  I am pleading for an OCE to pick this one up and accelerate a fix for me.  Given the nature of IMAP, message content for much of my inbox has not yet downloaded and synced with my .ost file for this account making it useless when offline.  It must surely be possible to change a password for a legitimate customer in less than 5 days!

My advice to anyone thinking of doing the same thing as me is TAKE CARE and think twice.

David W
Bagpuize
Conversation Starter

Panic over!  Scary moment but able to change my password (having had no access to do so this morning). All OK now.  OCE's may stand down!

David W
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bagpuize 

A request to unblock your lineone email account and reset the password has gone through to the TalkTalk Community team.

In theory you'll have Password Reset details set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive the reset. Please do try the Reset your Password option. If there's an alternate shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please see if you can reset the password.

If the account has been compromised and locked then it'll need authority from TalkTalk and intervention by the email admins.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the lineone email address to Private notes and Save changes.

On the issue of the lineone email address not being listed in MyAccount in the Manage TalkTalk Mail section - was it listed there until this incident?

And going back to the email account's reported 'suspicious activity' - I see in your history of posts that a tiscali email account may have been compromised or the email address discovered by spammers. If the same has happened to the lineone email account then I have some additional guidance.

1. Scan all devices you use for email to check for and remove malware or viruses. This is to make sure that passwords aren't being obtained by malware.
  2. Don't post your email address in public and secure access to private data on social media etc.
  3. Avoid using unencrypted public wi-fi for anything needing a password.
  4. Check the email address at haveibeenpwned.com to see if there's a known data breach. If the email address is linked to a known breach then knowing that will help you to check security with all websites where you've registered the address.
  5. Check out the advice on passwords at getsafeonline.org and always use a unique ultra-strong password for the email account as that's vital.
  6. If you've done all the above and got to this point without noting any security issues then that's what I always like to see.
 Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Bagpuize 

I see you've got the password change done. Nice one.

Bagpuize
Conversation Starter

Thanks for that.  Please let the rest of the tech support team know this is a closed case.

David W
Gondola
Community Star

...you're welcome. TalkTalk Community Team notified.

Community Team

Hi Bagpuize,

Glad to hear it's sorted, thanks for letting us know

Chris

Bagpuize
Conversation Starter

However this does beg the question of what happens after a large upload of data to a new IMAP account. In my case, access to my mail was blocked without warning. I understand the security algorithm but maybe a warning as the upload was going on might have helped.

David W
Community Team

Hi Bagpuize,

Thanks for your comments, apologies for any inconvenience

Chris