Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Incoming e-mails being bounced

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Over the last few days several people have been calling me to tell me that e-mails thay have send to my Pipex address are being bounced back with the message "Address not found. Your message wasn't delivered because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive mail". Some messages from one client are getting through, while others are getting this response. I have no way of telling how many of my contacts this is affecting, but it's a big problem that needs sorting immediately.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Same issues saying that emails from others to my dsl.pipex address cannot be delivered. Happened on and off most of yesterday 8th January. Some emails getting through and sometimes yesterday unable to send to myself. This is all very reminiscent of problems last year that took weeks after talktalk denied there were any problems for weeks. Hope this is not a start of same thing again

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I have just discovered this is happening to my emails as well. It appears to be affecting random emails as some are getting through some not from the same (groups.io) mailing list. Non list emails are also affected.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi all

Is this issue just impacting the pipex mail platform for you all?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Not sure what you mean.

I just sent two emails in succession from a non TT mailserver I have access to, to my primary pipex account one with an attachment and one without. The one WITH an attachment came straight through, the one WITHOUT attachment failed. (Obviously I redacted my email address when copying this):

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

<REDACTED>@dsl.pipex.com
host mx.tiscali.co.uk [62.24.139.42]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<REDACTED>@dsl.pipex.com>:
550 5.1.1 perXiROOpOCfq Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)

Highlighted
Community Star

@nw1806 thanks for the confirmation that this particular issue is for pipex mail.

Let us know if the mailbox remains unavailable for delivery in an hour and retry again in the morning just so TalkTalk can establish why the mailbox may be unavailable at certain times or in certain circumstances.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Just tried it again, message with and without attachment, both bounced this time.

Same 550 error TT512.

Don't they have some sort of sandbox they could do this stuff in instead of using customers to test their bright ideas on?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi nw1806 

Re sandboxing - I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusion about what's happening.

The error message says the mailbox is unavailable. We need to find out why. 

It may be locked, for example. If I knew for sure why the mailbox is locked I'd say. I am anticipating that mailboxes will be locked for short periods to copy contents over to the TalkTalk Mail platform for the impending migration of mail to the new platform. But that doesn't explain these longer periods of mailboxes being unavailable.

The TalkTalk team will need to take this up with the email admins.

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your pipex email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I am now getting this

SOME messages are getting thorugh some not - not even consistent to other sender, either.

My wife sent me a message - it bounced.

I sent her a test, she replied - I got it.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I can't connect to the SMTP server (to send mails) either.

Jan 9 23:22:38 benuc postfix/smtp[5101]: 197653F996: to=<xxxxx@dsl.pipex.com>, relay=smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24]:25, delay=90, delays=90/0/0.05/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24] while receiving the initial server greeting)

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@gmlack wrote:

I can't connect to the SMTP server (to send mails) either.

Jan 9 23:22:38 benuc postfix/smtp[5101]: 197653F996: to=<xxxxx@dsl.pipex.com>, relay=smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24]:25, delay=90, delays=90/0/0.05/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with smtp.dsl.pipex.com[212.74.114.24] while receiving the initial server greeting)

The last successful connexion I have logged is at 20:56:21 today.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I replied to this and the forum system ate it!

If it's not the spam filtering mentioned elsewhere in this forum, and is as you say mailbox locking for migration, that too should have been tested on a test system to make sure it didn't do exactly what it's doing.

And it's now failing to send or receive just as others are reporting, so it's completely fallen over now!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi nw1806 

Well you've broken it now!  Definitely not working at all.

See you in the morning.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hmmmm....

Just now I as connecting to this forum which was gong fine until I click on a link an got 500 (Server Error) pages.

This was at 00:08.

30s later my fetchmail process told me that it was back in touch with TalkTalk to get email (POP3 service) and my postfix server was also (at the same time) able to send out mail to smtp.dsl.pipex.com.

All of which would (to me) indicate that he authentication server was in trouble and someone rebooted it (or at least restarted the service...).

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Apologies for the typos above...

Anyway, I had a quick look at the headers of one of the mails that has now arrived.

This is when it started life (there's a process that runs at 00:03, and this sends an email - this email).

Received: by nuc.mydomain (Postfix, from userid 0)
	id 015E41FCD9; Fri, 10 Jan 2020 00:03:01 +0000 (GMT)

However, the next stage is at the TalkTalk SMTP server, and this reports.

Received: from nuc.mydomain ([92.0.132.215])
	by smtp.talktalk.net with SMTP
	id phOkif3bL574lphOkip6xG; Thu, 09 Jan 2020 23:39:30 +0000

So the TalkTalk SMTP server has a clock that is running ~40mins SLOW!!!

Now, I'd expect this to be running an NTP service (all of my systems do...) to keep the clocks in sync, so it's indicative of problems on the servers.  Possibly configuration problems?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I assume the problem is entirely on Pipex, though earlier one of my contacts who was getting random bouncebacks tried resending the email to my Gmail (emergency backup) account and that bounced back too. No idea how the two could be connected. Subsequent e-mails sent through Gmail came through OK
Wizz Kid

Apologies for the poor maths this time...

So the TalkTalk SMTP server has a clock that is running ~40mins SLOW!!!

That should, of course, have been ~20mins SLOW!!!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi all, is this still happening to you?

Ady

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

My mail seems to be OK, but my Wife has had a few people report message to her being bounced within the last day.

The SMTP server's clock is now 31mins slow. Doesn't anyone care about configuring them correctly?

Highlighted
Chat Champion

It seems to be working, but of course it's difficult to tell without regularly sending test emails from elsewhere and seeing if they come through.

Has anything been fixed or has it just started working?