cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Incoming e-mails being bounced

Conversation Starter

I had a couple bounced over the weekend, but I am not aware of any since then, but of course unless the sender contacts me there's no way I can tell if it is still ocurring

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just been notified of another one bouncing, so the problem has not been resolved yet.

Highlighted
Popular Poster

I'm also having the same problems emails being sent to my dsl.pipex.com address are bouncing or not being received.  Problem appears to have ben going on for a few days now.  The soomner we are moved from the legacy email system to the new talk talk servers the better.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I have had 2 emails bounced this morning from the same sender

Reporting-MTA: dns; know-smtprelay-3-imp [62.252.172.6]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [192.168.0.10] [82.6.184.223]
Arrival-Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:55:03 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; xxx@dsl.pipex.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 rIuei9JJ4QiTy Recipient Undeliverable (TT512)

Last-attempt-Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:55:06 +0000

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@Western_Miller wrote:

The soomner we are moved from the legacy email system to the new talk talk servers the better.

If they were better configured things might improve. They can't even keep the correct time (which is a trivial thing to do).

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I am getting increasing numbers of mails being bounced.

This now getting serious.  Will someone tell us if Talktalk is actually doing anything about this? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi PeterAA, can you send me some of the emails including:

the timestamp the mail was sent, sender address & recipient address.

Any examples will be passed to the admins for a response and investigation.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ady, how can I send unredacted text to you?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ady,

I have now sent you a private message

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

And it's started again.

Always seems to be shortly after midnight (for me).

My mail-fetching processes (for 3 different accounts) are now reporting "authorisation failed".

It really shouldn't be happening. It's not as if TalkTalk don't know about it happening, and they should be able to prevent it.

PS: It's smtp.talktalk.net that has the slow clock.  mx.talktalk.net appears to be OK.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The problem seems to be getting worse, more e-mails being bounced today. Pathetic for a business!

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I've just realised that I have not received any e-mails since 21.31 yesterday, usually I would have received a good 20-30 emails including spam by now. I'm also starting to get the dreaded 'Connection to server failed or was dropped' message, and the last e-mail I tried to send just sat in the outbox.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ady,

Can you please confirm that you have received the failure details that you requested that I send to you.

Highlighted

I have, are the senders still getting bounced mail since the servers were reset today? 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Ady,

The only email that I know I have not received was sent while the servers were down.

I don't know yet if any non-delivery was produced.

Highlighted

Ok keep us posted. 

Ady

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

E-mail is completely broken today, I've been unable to send anything all day, and incoming mail is massively hindered. Many of the usual 'Connection to the server failed or was dropped.' messages and quite a few '4.1.1 Too many messages' with the occasional '5.7.0. Authentication denied (TT320)' for good measure. Jeez guys get it together!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Artistef 

If I was sending group emails and got the 4.1.1 To many messages bounceback I'd conclude that several of the addresses were incorrect or didn't connect to recipient mailboxes perhaps because of blocking by those mailboxes. A dirty distribution list is something under the sender's control which is why this is a temporary error not a permanent block.

But, in parallel, if I got the 5.7.0. Authentication denied (TT320) that would tell me that I'd exceeded the number of allowed outgoing server authentication attempts in the last hour. That's a hard block but with a time-out so I'd just use the time to check my mail list and with a clean distribution list I'd be able to retry an hour after the last fail.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@Gondola wrote:

But, in parallel, if I got the 5.7.0. Authentication denied (TT320) that would tell me that I'd exceeded the number of allowed outgoing server authentication attempts in the last hour.

There's a hard-wired limit on authentication attempts per hour? First I've heard of it.

What is it, and how is it counted?

Highlighted
Community Star

RFC 3463 - Enhanced Mail System Status Codes - January 2003

This may be useful as a permanent or persistent temporary notification.

These errors will result in the SMTP connection being dropped, and the sending mail server will advise the user that their mail could not be delivered.

5.7.0 Something related to security caused the message to be returned, and the problem cannot be well expressed with any of the other provided detail codes. This status code may also be used when the condition cannot be further described because of security policies in force.

Includes:

530 Authentication problem

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer