Did you mean: 
Need help?

Incoming emails being rejected with TT992 content rejected

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Team Player

I also have this problem.  Emails are being rejected but not for all senders

obscured for customer security
SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.talktalk.net (62.24.202.42) reason: 552 5.2.0 q1a1i97yG2yiGq1a4iILbA Content rejected (TT992)

I am very disappointed that it seems this has been happening for a while (since December) while TalkTalk have been 'trialing' something ?!   (according to other notes I've found in the forum).

If Talktalk want to test filtering they should use a test environment for weeks before they roll it out onto the paying public,

Please fix this issue.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Trevor

Hopefully the email spammers didn't pick up the email address you posted in public.  I have obscured it.

The TT992 content rejected is advising the sender that their mail message has been rejected. It is, in that example with a 552 5.2.0 code, a permanent fail to deliver.

Presumably you know the sender?  Is this via a bulk mail sender or a mail forwarder or group sender or a private individual sending a single email? Have details available for the TalkTalk team. But if you wish to provide general, non personalised, details here please do - eg sending domains etc.

I think you may have done this already so apologies for asking you to do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your email address with any relevant other notes and finally save changes. TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate your registered TalkTalk details.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for obscuring the email address

I already checked my profile does contain my email address details in the private note section

I know the sender of the email, he has sent me quite a few emails over the years and I don't believe any of them have previously been blocked.

I have the email containing all information which can be forwarded to support team if reqd.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Trevor

This sender, does he send just to you or does he have a long list of group recipients on the CC or (you'll need to know this from him) BCC contacts list?

Is he sending you attachments?  We've seen spam or virus detection triggered by some attachments.

Including links to websites?

You've obviously got the error message details so presumably got those in a single email sent directly to yourself.  So a directly addressed email from him to you, I assume, does get through ok?

Just to make sure the rejection isn't triggered by your mailbox filtering just sign in to TalkTalk Mail here, select the main Settings menu (triple line icon top right on the header bar) > Select Settings > Mail (or Email) arrow to expand the Mail Settings > Filter Rules - Disable all Filter Rules that may be there. If there are no rules set then that's ok.

Highlighted
Team Player

The sender is sending individual email addressed only to me. 

The email does not contain any attachments or any links - only text.

An email addressed from him to my gmail account (not my talktalk) gets

through without a problem.  There are NO emails being received when he

sends to my talktalk address

I have checked and there are no rules at all defined in the email

(Settings menu (triple line icon top right on the header bar) > Select Settings > Mail (or Email) arrow to expand the Mail Settings > Filter Rules )  totally empty

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Trevor

Assuming the text doesn't have a typical spam signature this puts focus on either the sender's IP address, email address or domain as the reason(s) for blocking.

For data protection only put the sender's full email address in Private notes but if you wish to let me know the sender's domain - the bit after the @ in the email address please do so.

Highlighted
Team Player

I've now added the email address for the blocked sender to my private notes

please investigate

I really am disappointed that this is obviously due to some recent changes.  This same friend has been emailing me for a number of years from the same email address/domain and never a problem .  I feel I no longer trust TalkTalk to provide a reliable service. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Trevor

You may like to ask your friend to check his email deliverability (click here). Let us know the result.

Highlighted
Team Player

OK, I've asked my friend to try that.

I am guessing that whatever that tool is it checks the reputation of the domain which the

email is being sent from.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Trevor

Not just the reputation but the characteristics of the sender that potentially impact upon deliverability. We'll be interested to see the results and it will help TalkTalk.

Highlighted
Team Player

The results of the check did show that for some reason the senders domain had been blocked.

The sender doesn't know why this is and not everyone he emails are having messages blocked so to send to me he's now using my gmail because he isn't 'technical' and can't go through the process of contacting the services/checkers which have blocked his domain.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@trevorrg22 wrote:

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.talktalk.net (62.24.202.42) reason: 552 5.2.0 q1a1i97yG2yiGq1a4iILbA Content rejected (TT992)

A 552 SMTP error code is "mailbox out of space - try again later", i.e. a temporary error.  The Pipex servers were having their (now all too frequent) authentication/connexion failures between 2am and 6am this morning, so if this occurred then that might have caused this.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi,

The issue happened on the date that I raised the query. My friend has since stopped trying to email me at talktalk because of the issue and I'm now relying on my gmail to communicate with him.  There is no need for further response. Perhaps at some point in the future the blocks which have been put on his IP / Domain name will clear themselves but I doubt he'll be trying to email me again.  It's a shame that TalkTalk are relying on these blacklists for filtering when other email providers aren't.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

The mail trial responsible for the original issue has ended and it's possible your friend can send to you normally now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Ady wrote:

The mail trial responsible for the original issue has ended and it's possible your friend can send to you normally now. 

Ady

Please read the rest of the weekend's messages. Including those of mine which ended up marked as Spam (no idea why).

The CNAME records are invalid. This is still the case. This means that several mail providers (including GMX) cannot send to Pipex at all. This is still the case.

Hi gmlack, I've raised your ticket and hopefully the email admins won't be too long it linking these together as I've already told them. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Ady wrote:

Hi gmlack, I've raised your ticket and hopefully the email admins won't be too long it linking these together as I've already told them. 

Ady

I've not actually reported any TT992 errors.

All I've seen is the TT512 (mailbox unavailable) and "Invalid MX record" ones.

It's now almost a week since I pointed out that the dsl.pipex.com MX records ARE invalid, and in that time there hasn't been even a whisper that anything is going to actually happen about it. the TalkTalk technical support team and managers should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

The manages for apparently making no attempt at all to provide a service, and the technical support for not trying to do everything possible to gather information about a "service" that they should know is failing badly.

And, as I type this, the Pipex mail system has gone into Womble-mode again. Both the SMTP and IMAP server are refusing all incoming connexions. There should be alarm bells ringing in tech support over this, but I wonder whether anyone will notice or care?

[parent]: telnet smtp.dsl.pipex.com 587
Trying 212.74.114.24...
Connected to smtp.pipex.tiscali.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Sort of sums things up nicely.

Highlighted

This is all being investigated by the email admins. I'll feedback as soon as I have anything to tell you.

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

I think that it might be working OK now.  My friend in the USA has recently been emailing my talktalk address and they have been getting through to me.

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you.  It does look like it's working OK now.