would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Junk & Spam coming through in their 100s

ANSWERED
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Team Player

Just changed my Tiscali password (test my ability to get Tiscali webmail, very seldom used). S suddenly prevented any emails coming through on Iphone/Ipad or PC. So reloaded Tiscali on 3 products with new password.Since reloading I have has literally 100s of spam/junk emails from all over the world. Before, I received a few per month. Noticed that for some reason the Junk filter had been removed. I've set back to 'High' and ticked bar 'international' other than a few countries. They come through, now diverted to 'Deleted' Folder even before I 'see' them. Unfortunately some legitimate emails also get trapped. I've spoken to Talk Talk chat on line... no real help. I'm forwarding some to Spam...@ talktalk. Anyone know how I can set up PC so the very obvious spam is rejected without coming through, like before. I also mark each email as spam and tick 'block sender' Taking up most of the day!!. Using Outlook.Thanks ROB

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Robert

Here's the advice from Microsoft on Changing the level of protection against spam in Outlook

The highest level of protection, but keeping your known wanted senders' mail messages, is to use the Safe Sender's List only option. i.e. only senders on your list of contacts are permitted but it does mean you do have to keep the contacts lists up to date.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Team Player

Many thanks for suggestion. Yes, a possibility but a pain and in so many years of using Outlook/Tiscali, why am I suddenly being bombarded with junk when presumably they were stopped 'at source' before?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Robert

If your email address is known to spammers then spam does come in waves as new spam attacks are created.

You're using Outlook so I've restricted my reply to Outlook and with that product the only sure way to defeat spam and get wanted mail messages is to use the Safe Senders Junk Filter option. 

Overview of the Junk Filter including Safe Senders list

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks for reply. Would this prevent the junk messages from even coming through? That's what i want as before. If not, it's no remedy because I'll still have to sift through emails.They are all being directed to 'Deleted'... Folders. Surely Outlook/Tiscali have a system which identifies probable Junk (malicious) and stops them entering the email system? 

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi Robert

TalkTalk have Cloudmark network spam filtering that is activated by reports from both global intelligence on spam senders and TalkTalk customers marking mail as spam.

Cloudmark blocks millions of reported spam messages daily.  These don't come through. From time to time Cloudmark gets reset because spammers change their senders and methods and it's not worth keeping old spam fingerprint data.  And then too many people mark genuine mail as spam instead of unsubscribing and so Cloudmark has to relearn the fingerprint for genuine spam detection.

In summary, Cloudmark does do most of the blocking but may have to let some spam through from time to time.

As for Outlook Safe Senders Junk Filter: Any message that isn't from someone on your Safe Senders List or isn't to a mailing list on your Safe Recipients List, is classified as junk and gets moved to the Junk folder.

But if its from someone you trust because you added their email address to your contacts then you'll get their email regardless of its content assuming it does get passed by the Cloudmark network filtering.

If you have an original Blocked Senders Filter active on your TalkTalk Mail mailbox, carried forward from the Tiscali Webmail then the default setup is to direct unwanted senders' mail to the Trash or Deleted folder.

To check:

• Sign in to TalkTalk Mail
  • Select the Menu option      top right
    (triple line hamburger icon - NB not available on the mobile version)
  • Select Settings from the list
  • Select the arrow by Mail (or Email, left side panel)
  • Select Filter Rules
  • If no previous rules exist then Select Add new rule to setup a new Filter
  • Or if the Blocked Senders Filter rule or other rule is there
    Use the Edit option to Add conditions or edit an existing condition or just to check what it's doing

Filter Rules - Add new rule.png

If you don't need your original Blocked Senders Filter in the TalkTalk mailbox sending stuff to the Trash or Deleted folder then simply select Disable or permanently delete it using the dustbin icon on the right side of the Filter Rule.

Team Player

Many thanks for your help. Suppose I'll just have to let nature take its course. Some emails appear to be genuine but come from retailers etc. whom I'm not interested in and have never had contact with. Others are obviously some form of scam. Overtime hopefully I'll receive less junk and I'll filter out the proper emails... Cheers

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Robert Lear, Gondola's advice is spot on. Please keep us posted with your progress. 

Ady

Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks will do..

Highlighted
Community Team

Thanks.

Ady