would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Leaving broadband but want to keep email

13 REPLIES 13
Aeroskate
Popular Poster

Hi,

We shall be looking to leave TalkTalk broadband and phone in the near future, but my wife needs to keep uninterrupted access to her emails.

She only has one email address with TalkTalk - a Tiscali email address - this is used to sign into her webmail as well as her "MyAccount".

We are happy to pay the subscription for Mail Plus, but we want to know what the process will be when we leave, and whether there is anything my wife needs to do in preparation.

I'm assuming our new service provider will contact TalkTalk to terminate provision of our broadband and phone connection and at this point TalkTalk will email my wife about whether she wishes to keep access to her Tiscali email address, pointing her towards Mail Plus?

She then goes to this link : https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/mailplus selects the monthly/annual option then signs in with her usual tiscali email address and password, that she also uses for her "MyAccount" on the next screen, fills in required direct debit instruction and carries on enjoying uninterrupted access to the TalkTalk email service using the same credentials she uses currently.

Is this all correct or is there anything else we need to be aware of?

Many thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aeroskate 

I think you've got everything completely and correctly mapped out.

Yes, any of the mainstream providers that use the Openreach network to deliver broadband and 'phone service will notify TalkTalk of the placing of an order with them and notify TalkTalk of the switch date when your TalkTalk service and billing will cease. 

Virgin Media and other alternative full fibre network providers may not notify TalkTalk of the start of your service with them and they'll leave it to you to arrange cancellation of TalkTalk services.

TalkTalk will keep the broadband MyAccount active for 12 months after leaving.

At present it would appear that a former customer cannot activate a Mail Plus MyAccount if an existing MyAccount is still active so that needs to be sorted. But in general your wife should expect to receive an email from TalkTalk to ask her to subscribe to TalkTalk Mail Plus.

I'll try and find out for you when to expect that email and therefore when she'd be able to sign up to Mail Plus.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Aeroskate
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for your quick reply and clarifying my thoughts.

So, if TalkTalk keep the broadband MyAccount active for 12 months my wife will still be able to receive and send emails?  She uses Thunderbird on the PC for emailing.

Her main concern is that she absolutely does not lose access to her email.  Your comment about a former customer not being able to activate a MailPlus account if existing MyAccount is still active will be of concern - is this a general issue for all former customers who have active MyAccounts or just an isolated instance?  Is there a timescale for resolution?

Many thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Aeroskate 

Until we get the clarification I've asked for on your behalf on this thread and for another customer that has left TalkTalk some years ago but still has an active MyAccount for a disconnected broadband account but an active TalkTalk Mobile account we'll not know for sure whether or when these specific situations are included in the process for activating a TalkTalk Mail Plus MyAccount.

For your wife we need to find out if the broadband MyAccount will potentially get converted to a Mail Plus MyAccount either on leaving TalkTalk or at some time during the 12 months after leaving or only after expiry of the 12 months.  Or if the existing ex-broadband MyAccount cannot accept the Mail Plus subscription then when it'll be possible to activate a standalone Mail Plus MyAccount. 

Don't worry, we're all on the learning process as these finer points haven't yet been outlined to us. But there is a process for safeguarding mailboxes from deletion. 

If a mailbox is not added to an active MyAccount the first thing that will happen is deactivation of collection of emails in an email client like Thunderbird. Access via the TalkTalk Mail sign in will still be possible to allow time for the customer to subscribe to Mail Plus before full deletion of the mailbox. So, there's always the fall-back option of webmail.

As always, do sign in to TalkTalk Mail at least once every 180 days to make sure the account remains active and do keep backup copies of important mail messages.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi Aeroskate, when you come to leave as part of the leaving process you will be asked if you want to keep your email. The loyalty team will then take the appropriate action for you and the TalkTalk Mail Plus account will remain active.

Ady

Aeroskate
Popular Poster
Hi Gondola,
Ok thanks. I'll continue to monitor this thread for any further updates.

Many thanks
Aeroskate
Popular Poster
Hi Andy,
Ok, she hasn't actually got a mail plus account yet but your saying it will be converted to one? Do the Loyalty team proactively contact customer via email or is it a phone call? Or will we need to call the Loyalty team?

Thanks very much
Community Team

Yes it's now part of the leaving process that you'll be asked if you want to keep your email address.

Ady

Aeroskate
Popular Poster
Ok Ady, thanks for the reply
Community Team

You're welcome.

Ady

Aeroskate
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

Do you have any update on whether the other customer who wanted MailPlus but had active MyAccount was ever able to sign-up to MailPlus and keep their email?

Cheers

Community Team

Hi Aeroskate, if you've added the email to your MyAccount and then leave you'll be offered the chance to sign up to TalkTalk Mail Plus. It's part of the loyalty/leaving process.

Ady

Aeroskate
Popular Poster
Ok, thanks Ady
Community Team

You're welcome.

Ady