Yesterday, my Lineone email account stopped sending mail.
I get an SMTP error on my email client (Em Client) on my PC.
The error states that
"connecting to email@example.com [SMTP] An attempt to connect failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailabilityor incorrect settings"
I have checked my settings with the TalkTalk advice mentioned elsewhere in this forum (smtp.tiscali.co.uk, 587, SSL, Outgoing authentication but it doesn't work. I have reset all my passowrds this also fails to resolve the issue.
I have pointed Gmail at my lineone email address on my android tablet - this has also failed.
The TalkTalk Web client continues to send mail but this isn't a solution - all my archives are in eM client. And unfortuantely, the TalkTalk web client won't show the settings it is using so I can't cut and paste them over.
Does anyone have any ideas?
There are two possible reasons:
Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer and if so is the lineone mailbox added to your MyAccount and showing in the My Mailboxes area. MyAccount > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail.
I pay £5 per month to keep my Lineone email address active - I don't use TalkTalk for anything else.
The Lineone account is added to my account and it is showing in the my mailboxes area.
I had also thought it may be a problem with eM client on my PC, but the problem persisted when I try to use Android's Gmail client to send mail so I think that rules EM client out as the source of the problem.
I've now gone back to the problem, this time installing Outlook365. Miraculously, this worked. I then went back to eM client and, without me changing anything, it is also now sending mail. It looks to me like the problem sorted itself, I wonder if something was wrong with the SMTP server.
Thank you for your help