Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lineone email

10 REPLIES 10
mxw374
Popular Poster

My email client  Outlook no longer recevies email but it is able to send email.

I logged on to my web mail and had to change my password. I am able to send and receive in webmail but still not able to in my client. The server times out.

It seems to be a password issue on the server.

Can someone advise please.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @mxw374 

You say you signed in to TalkTalk Mail (webmail) using a recently changed password and you can successfully send and receive mail messages.

So that proves the mailbox is working and the new password is working.

It's the same mailbox and the same password for that mailbox that Outlook needs to connect successfully. So, obvious question, have you updated the password for both the incoming and outgoing server settings configured in Outlook?

Follow up question, is Outlook configured as an IMAP email account or a POP3 email account?

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

mxw374
Popular Poster

Hi Goldola,

I updated the new password on both my Outlook client and my phone client and both get rejected by the server.

I use pop3 settings on both.

I get a 'Set up failed. Reasons may be:

The user name or password is incorrect.

The POP3/SMTP service is disabled. Enable the service and try again. For more information contact your email service provider.'

This has been like this since 5th March.

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi mxw374 

You were happy that webmail was working but as the server is reporting that the POP3 / SMTP service is disabled then that may well be the case

We might need to get clarification from TalkTalk on your mail account being restricted to webmail only access.

If you're not a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer you may be restricted to webmail only access unless you subscribe to TalkTalk Mail Plus or add your mailboxes to a TalkTalk broadband MyAccount.

If you have a mail message from TalkTalk about deletion of your TalkTalk managed mailbox then deletion is after 180 days. After 60 days the mailbox has webmail only access.

What's the situation? Does the above apply?

mxw374
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

I've been a lineone email user for 10+ years.

I had a similar issue in 2016 and had to get admin to reset my password on the server. (There is a thread on here under my user id). I assumed this was a password expiry so might need to be reset again?

I have no email from Talk Talk suggesting deletion of my account.

I'm not a TalkTalk consumer but a legacy email customer.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi mxw374 

The lineone mailbox is on the new TalkTalk Mail platform and with full access (free for TalkTalk Consumer broadband customers) there is access via an Internet browser (conventional webmail) and access via email clients and email apps on fixed and mobile devices.

There's only the one mailbox for each primary email address and only the one password.

You've proved that the mailbox password is good by signing in to TalkTalk Mail (webmail), sending and receiving mail messages. So, the password on the server doesn't need a reset.

Just revisiting the password change. Did you use the Forgotten your Password? journey. i.e. reset the password via a link sent to another mail account or a code sent to a mobile?

And just to make sure you know about and have seen the information about MailPlus for legacy mail users? About TalkTalk Mail Plus and there is, as previously mentioned, a TalkTalk Mail Plus subscription webpage here.

mxw374
Popular Poster

HI,

I reset using the  Forgotten your Password? journey.

I guess what you are saying is that I've lost the functionality I want until I pay for TalkTalk Mail Plus.

It's a shame but understandable I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi mxw374 

I'm not entirely convinced the mailbox is restricted to webmail only access.  You did say up front that you were able to send mail. If that send was from the lineone account then it does imply client access hasn't been disabled.

We'll have to get positive confirmation from TalkTalk.

But one final thing, Outlook is known to require removal of mail accounts and reinstating to overcome corruption within Outlook files. So, locally save any downloaded and wanted mail messages, remove the lineone account and reinstate by adding the lineone account. Unless you're really set on using POP3 I do recommend setting up as an IMAP account. Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

See if that fixes the issue.

But the ultimate withdrawal of free mailboxes for legacy users was the long term plan and unless there are business policy changes...well, who knows what'll happen. We live in strange times.

mxw374
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola,

I tried your suggestion but it didn't work.

I did a bit more digging and found an email to advise my mailbox was being deleted on 31/3.

So I guess that's my answer.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @mxw374 

As you've now found the mail message from TalkTalk about MailPlus or ultimate deletion it would tie in with the mailbox being restricted to webmail only access.

I'm told that the deletion of mailboxes has been suspended during this time of Government special measures so that would explain why the mailbox hasn't gone into permanent retirement just on its way there.

StephenF
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey Mxw374,

As gondola has said the deletion has been paused for now but the restriction will be due to the mailbox not being linked to an active account. I can see you have provided a phone number in your profile but im not finding any accounts with that, are you a talktalk broadband customer or have you purchased TalkTalk Mail plus?

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Your email account needs to be linked to an active broadband account or to purchase mail plus to remove this restriction. 

Thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.