Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lineone.net emails marked as spam

5 REPLIES 5
Dakapitan
First Timer

My @Lineone.net email address has been marked as spam. 

People don't receive my emails, or they go to their spam folder.

When I send an email to myself, the subject line begins with ***SPAM***

Clearly something is not right. How can this be fixed. Your input is appreciated. 

My exact email address is in the Private Notes of my personal information.

Regards.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Dakapitan 

It's most likely that your anti-virus software also has an anti-spam component that scans your emails for viruses and spam and marks the subject line as you describe.

The way you send emails can impact on the detection of possible spam.

If you're using an email client instead of Webmail and the email client is sending insecure or unauthenticated email then getting marked as spam or not being accepted by recipient mailboxes is the likely outcome.

Are you using an Anti-Virus product?  What settings are you using to send email? SMTP Port 587 and with security provided by SSL/TLS and authentication by Normal password and network authentication as well?

Gondola - Community support team

To appreciate my help  . . .  If I offered a solution Best Answer

Dakapitan
First Timer

Gondola,

Thanks for your feedback.

I use Microsoft Outlook for email. If I login to the Talk Talk website and send a mail to myself from there, the title line is not marked as spam.

I have Microsoft antivirus etc. No Norton, Avast, Kaspersky etc.

It is on Pop 3, port 587.

If I tick authentication by password and SSL, it logs in, but cannot send a test mail. I get this error: "Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance."

If I tick authentication by password and set encryption type to None, it logs in to the server, then doesn't like my password. Pressing cancel gives this message: "Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts."

If I untick authentication by password and tick SSL it logs in, then gives this error message: "Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance."

If I untick authentication by password and untick SSL, it will login and send emails.

I hope that answers all your questions. Any ideas?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Dakapitan 

It looks like your version of Outlook using a POP3 account setup does not support the expected security protocol. When you remove SSL/TLS then without encryption it sends. But that does leave your sending at risk both of beng intercepted and being assessed as possible spam. 

The preferred solution is to use TalkTalk Webmail or try an email client upgrade.

What's your current Operating System and version of Outlook?

It may be preferable to use IMAP but do save any emails (to a local folder or send to another email account) before deleting the account and starting afresh with IMAP. Email settings - IMAP & POP3 

The easiest way for me to help, once you've decided to either change to IMAP or stick with POP3, is to screenshot the settings and post images here using the Photos icon above this reply area but only after obscuring / redacting the first part of your email address.

Dakapitan
First Timer

@Gondola 

Thanks for you help so far.

I am running ye olde Windows XP. I think it is time to get a new PC & software. I'll take this issue as a catalyst to make that happen. There are other small issues in other software which I can work around, but this e-mail problem is the final straw.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and give support.

Regards.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Dakapitan 

You're welcome.

I still have Windows XP machines for offline legacy use and the OS had become very stable. But support and security upgrades officially ended in 2014 so I think your decision to retire the machine to offline duty is a wise move.

Support for the older SSL and TLS1.0 security protocols diminished rapidly in 2018. Use is deprecated in favour of TLS1.2 and higher. Yes, there are workarounds but it's much safer to upgrade.

Enjoy your research.