Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Long-standing forgotten password issue

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi, I have lost my talktalk webmail password, and want to reset it. However though I can get a link from my recovery email address, when I enter in a new password, it fails saying "Your password could not be reset at this time. Please try again later."

I first contacted Talktalk on this issue last November, I contacted them a few times, the online help escalated it each time, but I was never contacted back, so after a few times I gave up. But I would like to resolve it now, any idea how I can progress/resolve this (online help is now not available)?

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @dmt87 

When was the last time you signed in to your TalkTalk mailbox?  More than a year ago?  Or not so long as that?

The password reset is obviously not finding your mailbox on the system to make the password change.

Enter your email address at mailtester.com and see if that comes back as all green responses and indicates a valid email address.

We'll take it from there when you let us know what the response is.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thanks for the response. The last successful login was probably several years ago. I get "email address is valid" from mailtester with everything green.

When I try to reset the password, I get the choice of a recovery code to my mobile or a link to another email address so at least at some level this email address is known by talktalk - the code and link come through. Both the code and link allow me to type in a new password, but it always comes up with the error when I submit the new password so it doesn't make the update - I've tried my new password anyway and it doesn't work.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi dmt87 

The mailbox is still on the system but it would appear to be disabled and flagged for deletion because of non-use and that's the reason why the password change is not happening.

Is the mailbox listed in your MyAccount, My Mailboxes?

TalkTalk will need to get the mailbox reactivated. I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you. They'll need to verify you as the registered email user.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current TalkTalk landline and mobile contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email address and Save changes.

I don't have any visibility of the TalkTalk workflow and they're currently prioritising work so be prepared for a wait until you float to the top of the queue.

In due course a TalkTalk Community Team member will reply here and then Community Personal Message you to verify you as the mail user; so be prepared to provide on request to TT Staff only:

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number and Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered OR MyAccount details

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thank you. I can't go into the myaccounts page as it needs a password. I've updated my data as requested. I put the address and postcode in the private information, hope that's OK.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @dmt87 

For MyAccount password recovery follow the MyAccount Forgotten your password? link.

• Enter the email address that receives your TalkTalk billing notifications
  • You should see password recovery options

Highlighted
Chatterbox

When I do the password recovery, I get the error I mention in my first post. It doesn't fix the problem.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi dmt87 

I've mentioned both the mailbox password recovery and the MyAccount password recovery to the TalkTalk team so they'll take a look a both in due course.

Thanks for trying though.

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey dmt87, 

I've removed and re-built the my account authentication records which should correct any issues with the password reset journey, can you try and reset your password again and report back if this works. 

thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

HI, sorry thought I'd already replied but it seems not.

Unfortunately the issue is not resolved, when I go to 

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/forgotdetails/index/webmailreset

and put in a new password complying with the guidelines, I still get 

*Your password could not be reset at this time. Please try again later.*

and the new password is not accepted if I try to log in anyway  with the password.

Anything more we can do?

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hi, 

The next thing for us to do would be to de-register you from myaccount and allow you to register a new account however, do you have a non talktalk email address you could use for this? Ive sent you a private message with some questions so we can progress

thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.