Did you mean: 
Need help?

Lost 3rd party access to TalkTalk email

ANSWERED
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Participant

Hi Community

I am a long standing TalkTalk Faster Fibre broadband customer.  Today I have lost access to my TalkTalk emails using Outlook/Android mail (i.e. using POP3).  Nothing has changed in my set up. Last email was 23:25 yesterday and no emails today.  I can access via webmail. There are no current service issues reported with mail.

For some months I've been receiving TalkTalk emails threatening that I would lose my remote access unless I signed up to Mail Plus. As I am broadband customer, I was told by TalkTalk they were sent in error and to ignore them, but I have still continued to receive them, latest 29 March.

Under My Account it says "You do not have an active TalkTalk Broadband or TalkTalk Mail Plus subscription, so you are no longer able to create or add new email accounts" and I don't have an add mailbox button.  Under My Account it clearly shows I am a Faster Fibre Broadband customer.

I was still worried and so had a 2 hour TalkTalk chat on 5 March. In conclusion it appeared there was an error in my account set up. A ticket was raised and I've not heard anything since.

Have TalkTlak done what they have threatened for several months and disconnected my POP3 access?

How do I get this fixed? How can I escalate this as a complaint with TalkTalk for urgent resolution.  Email is a critical lifeline at the moment.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Steve92 

I suspect, based on a few others coming in with the same issue today that email access has been restricted to webmail only.

The issue, as I see it, is mailboxes have been associated with former disconnected accounts and as such are liable to restriction and ultimate deletion. But the mailboxes give the impression that they are part of a customer's current MyAccount as so should be safe from restriction or deletion.

I'll need to raise this issue with TalkTalk for you and get you added to the list for a fix.  Your mailboxes are, I suspect, associated with a former MyAccount so they're appearing with the attributes of that disconnected account.

TalkTalk will need to move your mailboxes to your current MyAccount and remove that error message that's preventing you from adding more orphaned mailboxes or creating new ones.

To link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile recommended). Add full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

In the meantime you will be able to stay in touch as webmail will still be good.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Participant
Thank you. It is dissappointing that TalkTalk initially dismissed it as nothing to worry about it. And over a month ago acknowledge the problem and raised a ticket for me. I shouldn't need to escallate it when it falls over. I'm not sure what more I can do as a customer, but think there is much more TalkTalk should be doing as a business. I shouldn't be affected by this at all as a broadband customer and have been for the last 14 years. It soulnd like a system architure problem created or unresolved by TalkTalk, leaving their customers to suffer.

Seems like an avoidable own goal by TalkTalk.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Steve92 

I agree and so I've already raised this issue today with one of the managers involved with TalkTalk Mail.

Highlighted
Participant
Thank you Gondola, I appreciate the action you've taken.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Steve92 

I've had some feedback and both deletion and restriction of mailboxes was suspended in March.

The only exception is restriction if customer payments aren't made because there's no alteration to that part of the process for restricting mailboxes to webmail only. But there is no deletion of mailboxes for anybody so webmail access will still be there to ensure everybody has a way to keep in touch with friends and family.

The ongoing resolution to the issue of some customer MyAccounts showing the error panel preventing adding and creating mailboxes was due to complete in April.  Fewer staff working on the project has inevitably delayed completion.

I appreciate that this response doesn't necessarily explain your situation unless your restriction to webmail only pre-dated the suspension?

Highlighted
Participant
Gondola

Thank you for taking the time to come back to me.

My mailbox access was restricted today, 16 April - POP3 access was working fine upto yesterday. I'm upto date with my billing and payments so that wouldn't apply to me either. I'm a TalkTalk broadband customer so the policy for Mail Plus should be irrelevant to me. I shouldn't have been rectricted regardless.

I appreciate that is what you've been told. I received two TalkTalk emails dated 29 March saying my mailboxes would be restricted. It was the day after TalkTalk sent an email explaining how they were supporting customers during the pandemic. I'm not sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

It's glad to hear there is no deletion of mail boxes, that rightly would have been a PR disater for TalkTalk had they done so during a pandemic.

I appreciate you providing some feedback to me. It is more than I have ever received from TalkTalk. I have heard absolutely nothing from TalkTalk in response to my complaint and the ticket that was raised on 5 March. Disappointing to hear that for me it will be over two months for resoltution from when I raised it.

Grateful if you could advise if there is anything more I can do to escalate the rectification of my remote access? I will make a formal complaint to TalkTalk.

Thank you
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Steve92 

Having only just received an assurance that both deletion and restriction were suspended and because in any event there's no reasonable justification for existing Consumer broadband customers to be restricted I will provide appropriate feedback to TalkTalk.

You may want to close your ears whilst I scream...

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hello Steve 92

I have had a similar problem with 'My Account', which I initially reported to T.T. on 4th March.

OCE Ady has been looking into this for me since 12th March but I have heard nothing positive.

I don't understand why, after reporting the matter on the 'phone, I should have to go to the forum in order to (try) to get something done about the problem.

Yesterday I lost the facility to use Outlook and am having to log in to TalkTalk.

Good luck with your efforts to sort matters out...

The Forum is nothing without Gondola...
Highlighted
Participant
Gondola, thank you for your interventions and help.
Highlighted
Participant

Hi,

Your story directly echoes mine. I have also been receiving these e-mails from TalkTalk, despite having entered a new broadband contract with them in January. Like you, I also kept getting told that they had been sent out "in error" and that I should ignore them. I also told them months ago about the banner that appears in "My Account - Manage Mail" and that I can do nothing to change settings, remove redundant addresses etc. When I suggested to the call centre person that I could afford to sacrifice an unused/no longer needed address, all that happened was that it was removed as a "quick fix" by somebody, without dealing with the core problem. Gondola was helpful to me when my 3rd party access vanished yesterday morning, but I am still waiting for something concrete to happen. 

Good luck

NeilM

Neil
Highlighted
Participant
Hi Neil

Sorry to hear you've suffered the same. I suspect there are number of us. Beggars belief that existing broadband customers are having their access restricted in this way.

Sadly I've also heard absolutely nothing from TalkTalk. I feel I've done what I can as a customer to raise this, but TalkTalk have failed to act. Like you I had some spurious fixes suggested during my Chat with TalkTalk, such as changing my log on email from ...tiscali.co.uk as that was pre-TalkTalk and might be messing up my accounts - unsurprisingly tired it and acheived absolutely nothing.

I'll let you know if I hear anything and share updates with you.

Steve
Highlighted
Participant
Hi DorsetRover

Sorry to hear your suffering the same issue as me. It is extremely frustrating, particular when we both to action over a month ago to seek to avoid this happening. It appears our concerns were valid, despite being initially dismissed by TalkTalk.

I agree I also think it is unreasonable for TalkTalk to displace customer service onto the community and look to the Champion's to triage complaints for them. I appreciate it is a time of national crisis, that only emphasises to me that their action to restrict email access and treatment of customers is crass and cruel.

I'm not a vulnerable customer, but I have elderly parents and email is an essential way for me to help and support them. It has been a lifeline for us during this crisis. I can access by webmail, but is it so inconvenient compare to having emails automatically arive on my phone.

I will share any updates with you.

Good luck

Steve
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Steve

No response to my follow up to TalkTalk so I'll have to let you know later re their response to the restriction of mail to webmail only for existing broadband customers.

There is now MyAccount planned maintenance for Saturday morning although it's only 3-4am so nothing major. Just in case the maintenance does include a fix for the MyAccount, My Mailboxes issue do let me know when you sign in to MyAccount from Saturday morning onwards.  If that does the trick of properly associating mailboxes with a current MyAccount then there should be no restriction applied to customer mailboxes.  But, no promises as I have no inside information on planned maintenance.

Although it's only a workaround you can receive TalkTalk Mail on your mobile because it is optimised for the mobile browser. So, just select Chrome or Firefox and use the normal TalkTalk Mail sign in.

Highlighted
Participant
Thanks Gondola

Given my experience to date I'm not optimistic, but let's see.

I, and I susepct many other TalkTalk customers, feel impotent at the moment with no way to communicate with TalkTalk and no communications out of TalkTalk. At at time when TalkTalk say they are supporting customers at this time of national crisis they are hindering customers through no fault of their own all for a policy that doesn't apply to them.

The burden of that should not fall on Community Champion's shoulders.

Regards
Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff
Solution

Hey Steve92,

As Gondola has said the activity to suspend or delete has been paused, with the exception of suspension for non payment. I need more information to look at your account and have sent you a private message, can you please reply to that and we'll take a look

thanks 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Participant

Hi StephenF,

I hope that you can help sort out Steve92 problem. It looks like this issue is affecting lots of us, so perhaps you can try the fix out on our accounts, too.

Thanks

NeilM

Neil
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hello StephenF

Do you mean '...the ability to suspend or delete...'?

Regards

Dorset Rover

The Forum is nothing without Gondola...
Highlighted
Community Star

No. Stephen means (and believes) what he says.

And he's investigating because of our prompting on whether the TalkTalk activity on restriction of mail accounts to webmail only has been suspended or not.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hello Stephen F.

I have the same frustrating problem. Even emails to talk talk complaints are automatically bounced. I appreciate these are difficult times but it seems impossible to communicate a fault to the service provider and get an assurance that it will be fixed. 

agsinclair