would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

MailFrom must match AUTH used

3 REPLIES 3
Munners
Team Player

Hi,

I have been trying to change my email client settings to use my Talk Talk email instead of my old BT one.

I like to use my own personal email address to send emails from, but when I try to set this up, I get the error:

Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 551 5.1.0 Fga7fjRYoLmUS MailFrom must match AUTH used (TT421)

I have read older posts where people have changed the outgoing SMTP settings to be unencrypted on port 25, but this does not work for me, I get the error:

Send test e-mail message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

Can you tell me if this cam no longer be done with Talk Talk, and if so, am I going to have to contunue to use my BT email?

Thanks,

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Munners

TalkTalk.net email provides a secure fully authenticated email service.  It doesn't offer the facility of authenticating your personal email domain for sending via the talktalk mail servers.

I'm aware that BT Internet offered the facility of having personal email addresses authenticated for sending via the BT Internet mail servers.  So if that authentication is still in place then carry on using it. 

What most people do with a personal email address hosted on a mail server is to send via that server. Then it's fully authenticated. There are plenty of hosted email services where you can register a personal email domain address. There are reasonable monthly fees based on the storage and services required and sometimes a starter package is free. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Munners
Team Player

Hi Gondola,

Thank you for your informative reply.

What I will say is that this used to work with TalkTalk, so I can only assume that they have stopped this facility.

Also, why pay a reasonable monthly fee, when someone else is offering the same service for free.  I will certainly take this all in to consideration when my contract is due for renwal.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Munners

It's the nature of the world we live in where we have to go for security over simplicity. So, ever more layers of protection to guard against the cyber criminals instead of an open-doors policy which is how email used to be.

When you do consider your options here's a peek at the upcoming new TalkTalk Mail.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer