Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Major Pipex Email Outage - AGAIN?

Highlighted
Skynet_TX
Super Duper Contributor
Yep, things seem to be improving, just received a pile of emails too !
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

I've just been asked if you could retest this again so it looks like further work has been completed. Please let us know if you do experience any further issues and apologies again.

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
SoozySoo
Conversation Starter

Seems OK now (fingers crossed). Please could you explain what caused today's problem. Thanks.

SoozySoo
Highlighted
Skynet_TX
Super Duper Contributor
All queued emails now received successfully and connection attempts now working consistently (Windows Mail client on Windows 7).

Thanks
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. Apologies, at this time I don't know the exact root cause.

Thanks

Highlighted
WearyCustomer
Team Player

Hi,  I had to walk away after spending one hour ten minutes on web chat with one of your customer service (!) people earlier, or I think i would have started shouting!  I've just returned and seen this thread.  What I can't understand is not only why TT are still treating their legacy Pipex customers with contempt when we've all tried to help them resolve these problems on numerous occasions over the last two years, but also why on earth they don't tell their Customer Service staff when there's a problem.  I started to web chat (1) to let them know there's a problem, and (2) to see if anyone could tell me when it was likely to be fixed.  I was asked all the same questions as I get asked each time.  "We need to check if it's your settings..."  No it's not.  I haven't changed them since last night, when it worked.  "What app are you using?" Apple Mail.  "We don't support Apple Mail"  I'm not asking you to. I'm asking you to fix your servers.  It drives you mad.  Then they said: 

"Okay currently we have not been advised by the engineers or updated about that fault, so now I will have to perform these checks so that the issue can be determined."  This was at 13:26pm today.  And yet this thread was running for hours before that.  TT is a communications company.  Please, please, please communicate!  At least to your own people!

Highlighted
pipex not working
Conversation Starter

Couldn't agree more with the last post. Web chat is always the same, uninformed and a waste of time. As loyal pipex customers we deserve better. This has been going on for too long and we as customers are being treated very poorly. At least TT should tell us why we keep getting these outages. We as a group need to press TT and I will be writing to the CEO, OFCOM and Trust Pilot. Enough is enough.

Highlighted
moggy321
Team Player
I still have no access to webmail or email via outlook client. I would like to know when this will actually be fixed properly.
Highlighted
nw1806
Chat Champion

Completely agree, some time ago I had to do a lot of extra work on my email client when one of their clueless CSRs insisted I do something to it before they would consider the possibility that their system was broken, which of course it was. I knew what they were asking me to do would mess up my email client, they insisted it wouldn't, it duly did and I was left to clear up the mess.

It is beyond belief that a communications company is so dysfunctional that their CSRs cannot access an accurate service status and are clearly not allowed to even consider the possibility that the service might be broken before the customer has been made to jump through all the hoops to make sure it isn't their problem.

Aside from the fact that TT seems to have difficulty running a reliable email service, their response to customers when it happens is woeful. In this latest case the first reports of a problem were at 07:00, the first official response in this thread appears to have been at 16:55, 5 minutes short of NINE hours later. For most of the morning web chat was unavailable, shown as "busy". Email help is of course a non starter if the problem is loss of email service. I used my gmail to attempt this route, response; "We've received your email and will make every effort to reply within the next 24 hours". So far, that's it. About as much use as a rubber screwdriver.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

I also agree totally with the response by WearyCustomer, this isn't any longer just about technical failures within the network, it is also about the failure of how TalkTalk manage these issues - from identification to communication and ultimately on how lessons are learnt so as not to have a repeat of said issue.

The most frustrating aspect is not the apparent lack of knowledge that first level call centre staff appear to demonstrate but the fact they seem to be totally isolated from what is actually going on within the company. How can a company that's business is "communication" not have in place a system to let there front line staff know when a problem exists within the network when it's actually happening!

The saddest part is it probably wouldn't take much in effort or cost to sort out, and the perceived impact on customer satisfaction would be immense. After all, we all make mistakes, it's how we respond in sorting them out and keeping those affected informed that really counts.

Highlighted
savvyowl
Team Player

Mine is not fully operational yet. I have some emails but not all of them.

Highlighted
Muddymedic
Super Duper Contributor

Good evening

I'm sorry I've not been too active on this topic having been the one who kicked it off this morning, but I've just got back home after a long day working in London.  For what it's worth, all seems to back to 'normal' again (at least for the time being), but this sort of outage is happening too frequently again now, and that is really not acceptable.

@OCE_Michelle.  Thank you for your efforts and that of the network and email ninjas,  with all this today, but we all know this is 'firefighting', and not sorting out the root cause.  Pipex email is not fit for purpose - flat - , and hasn't been for some time.  In slower time (and by that I mean very early in the coming week, please) we Pipex users need a full explanation of what went wrong today, and what is being done to prevent a recurrence (probably - on form - next weekend), and what is being put in place to mitigate the impact of any recurrence.

Re: the call staff, as I have observed on another related topic they tend towards the utterly, utterly useless, and just waste your customers' time (I no longer contact them because it's a pointless thing to do).  Their responses are inconsistent, and script-driven, and they are not problem-solvers...so why do TT stick with them?  This is organisational cognitive dissonance of the worst kind.  

Actually, one of the big issues is with the support and management of 'Legacy' (ie outdated) domains.  I went through this last year up to CEO level, and at that time (and I'm sure it's not changed) the situation was explained to me that Pipex accounts 'belong' to Pipex Business even though we are billed as 'domestic' customers.  That's why our Webmail is the old, poorly-featured Business version.  Strictly speaking, therefore, we should direct our queries on service issue to the Business support team, as the call staff tend not to recognise that Pipex is supported by them. I know this seems worthy of a book by Kafka, but that's how it seems to 'work'. All of these decisions were made at corporate level when various providers merged or were taken over, without even letting their customers know, so these changes were imposed on us, which I consider unjust.

Can someone at TT please confirm that this is the situation for support of Legacy domains?  If so, should this information (along with Business Support contact details) be sent to all Pipex customers, so their time is not wasted?  If not, then what is the situation, and can it be confirmed that call staff will be formally briefed on the situation.

Of course, none of this would be an issue if we were to be migrated in short order to the 'new' TT Mail service, but we have been told via this board that we are very much at the back of the queue for this, and that it will be months (as opposed to weeks) that this happens.

Some of your very loyal and long-standing customers are being short-changed over this, and that is frankly unacceptable.

Can we PLEASE sort this out once and for all....we really can't go on like this.

I apologise for the length and complexity of this post, but enough is enough already.

Regards

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

My account still appears to be working fine after the "fix" late yesterday, just tried and go messages on iMac very quickly (0730Hrs), the problem is how long will it last?

@Muddymedic  Nicely put, if only someone from TalkTalk management would look into this and then release a statement to all legacy customers on the current situation, why it's happening, how long it will continue and when a permanent resolution will be in place. I'm not asking for an instant fix (we probably deserve it by now though) but just to be given some time scale on the permanent solution and until that day comes have in place some form of fast track reporting/patching system so when an issue arises it's dealt with as painlessly (for the customer) and as quickly as possible.

I would also like to thank @OCE_Michelle for pushing this last one for us, but would it be possible to have the last posts from @WearyCustomer, @Muddymedic  and myself forwarded to someone that has the authority and responsibility to maybe put some form of plan into place so we do not have a repeat of yesterday (and the numerous failures previously).

Thanking you in advance.

Highlighted
Pal353
Wizz Kid

I fully endorse all of the sentiments expressed in the last few posts. I have long since given up contacting Customer Services or Live Chat on any Pipex loss of service. The only place to get any accurate information is this forum, whether from other users or the excellent OCE's.

Because we receive no explanation from TalkTalk management about the shocking way in which legacy Pipex customers are treated, I have abandoned my Pipex email for all except trivial emails, and these are usually from businesses I have patronised. The exception of course is TalkTalk itself. My view is that all Pipex users who have important emails correspondence  should move them to a web based service like hotmail or gmail. If you are a long-standing reader of posts on this forum, you may recall that I took this step a year ago and I have no regrets at all.

Of course, things may change when (or if) we are migrated to the new all-singing, all dancing TalkTalk email service. But reading other posts on this forum from some of those who have already been transferred, I have my doubts.

Pal353
Highlighted
stevesurrey
Enlightened One

Just to rub salt into the wound of the major outage we suffered yesterday (on top of all the many issues we have had with PIPEX over the past year or two), I learned yesterday that my Broadband package I renewed only last month is now being discounted by a further £5 a month for newly contracting customers. This is of course not available to me now, so I will in effect be paying an extra £90 over the term of my 18-month contract. That makes me feel like a complete chump for sticking with them since they took over Pipex several years ago.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

@stevesurrey  You could try contacting the loyalty department, they may be able to offer you a discount for being a long term customer, it might not be enough to match the "new" £19.95 Faster package (as recently advertised on TV) or the current website offer of £21.50, but it could close the gap a little.

Obtaining the above is obviously harder at or near the start of a current contract than near the end, but still worth a go. It might also be worth arguing that they "do" allow customers to vary the package within contract, for example going from Faster to Super Fast fibre, so similarly why can't you take advantage of mid contract price changes that are in your favour, just a thought.

Highlighted
Pal353
Wizz Kid

I have a message that an anonymous poster has deemed my post that was number 54 on this topic to be spam. I have edited it this morning to correct a couple of spelling errors but it was not spam and I would hope to see it restored.

Pal353
Highlighted
stevesurrey
Enlightened One

Anybody else finding the Pipex servers slow again this evening ? Getting timeouts, password requests and generally very slow responses when checking for emails.

Highlighted
SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor

Seems ok for me at the moment, just go messages at 1940hrs and all was fine, even getting "green" on Mail's Connection Doctor!

Screenshot 2019-03-11 at 19.45.23.png

Highlighted
moggy321
Team Player

I can receive email but not send it.  I get error message saying

'Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

These settings worked fine last week.  I hope talktalk fixes this soon.