Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Manage Emails

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi guys, visited my elderly Mum yesterday, I  was helping her organise her bills, I noted that her TalkTalk account was still in my late fathers name who passed away 4 years ago we must have overlooked it.

I phoned the Bereavement team, and they said to close the account in Dads name and set up a new one in Mums name, they asked for an email and I said use Mums TalkTalk email on Dads old account, I was told She had to have a new one and any email would do, so for convenience I used my Yahoo one, as we were told once we were logged in to Mums  new account we Could add Mums old email account to that account, I have tried the manage email facility and keep getting the message below, I would appreciate your input.

kindest regards Tony608BC420-D87E-47C7-BCC4-681CED12102D.jpeg

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Tony

There is simple explanation if you get the orange banner Functions not available error message.

Functions not available.

Your mother's email mailbox is associated with your late father's account and therefore it cannot be automatically moved to her new MyAccount even though you know the email address and password. 

Data Protection assumes unless proven otherwise that any associated mailbox may have the personal protected data of the former account owner and is not automatically transferrable to anyone else including executors and beneficiaries. If your mother's name was associated with the account as a named user that will make it easier for a transfer.

I've alerted the TalkTalk team for you to get the process underway.

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add her email address(es) with full details of your mother's new MyAccount (her name, TalkTalk 'phone number, account number, address) with TalkTalk and, if possible, details of the former account in your late father's name and finally save changes.

TalkTalk's Community Team OCE will then locate the registered TalkTalk details and fix the MyAccount issue for you by raising a ticket to have your mother's mailbox moved to her new MyAccount as swiftly as possible. 

Just a heads up that the process may turn out not be a straightforward move because it's usually necessary for the mailbox user to prove their identity in relation to the use of the mailbox.  It's a Data Protection issue as mentioned earlier.  The TalkTalk OCE will advise as necessary.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Gondola, thank you for your prompt reply, regarding the orange screen, it is the first that appears when I click on Manage TalkTalk Mail, I cannot input any Information.

Kind regards Tony 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Tony

I missed out a key line of information - There is an issue with your MyAccount. It's already reported as an incident.

But don't worry as the TalkTalk team know what they need to do to get that block sorted and at the same time to get your mother's email mailbox added to her new MyAccount subject to going through all the data protection / verification hoops.

Highlighted
First Timer

Once again Gondola,  thank you for taking the time to respond, one final question, can she still access her email account whilst this takes place? It is her only account, and she relays on it and has a lot of folders on it, I know its active today so fingers crossed.

Kindregards Tony.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Tony

Yes, no problem in continuing to access the mailbox. The advice from TalkTalk is to sign in to the mailbox via the TalkTalk Mail sign in at least once every 180 days to keep the mailbox alive.

It shouldn't take too long to resolve the issues here but I'm sure the TalkTalk OCE will ensure the mailbox is safeguarded. 

Highlighted
First Timer

Thank you Gondola, you’ve been most helpful.

kind regards Tony.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tony, you're going to hate me. I can get the email moved for your mum, but I have to have your mum registered on here and obtain the security information required to make the change for her. Obviously GDPR requires that I believe I'm dealing with the account holder for a change like this. If mum registers and posts I can make the change for her. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.