Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Message Heading

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
First Timer

When I send an email, the recipients' inbox shows my email address as the heading rather than my name. Can anyone tell me how to change this so that the heading shows my name. This is most frustrating since friends sometimes bin my messages without opening them thinking that they maybe spam. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Locol 

• Login to TalkTalk Mail
  • Select the Menu option      top right
    (triple line hamburger icon or cog icon for mobile)
  • Then My contact data in the drop down menu
  • Your First name / Last name will be shown in the pop-up 'contact data'
  • You can edit there at any time and Save the changes

Now, let's change the 'friendly name' / 'real name' that normally appears to recipients in the From: entry

• Select Email / Mail from the blue header bar
  • Select Compose from the sub-header
  • Select the blue down arrow to the right of the From: <email address>  
  • You'll see a drop-down box with options Hide names or Edit names
  • Select Hide names and From: email address will now be the default

Compose - Hide Real Names

After selecting Hide names:

Compose - After Hide Real Names.png

The default is now From: email address

But there's still flexibility to revert to the 'friendly name' / 'real names'

Just select Show names

Compose - Edit Real Names

Customers also have the option of defining a custom name, which is where I have defined Gondola as my custom name and my emails appear as From: Gondola <email address>

The Hide names option will send your email From: email address.

The Edit names / Custom name option will send your email From: Custom name .

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for your reply. It worked perfectly on my laptop. However when I send a message using my ipad the same problem occurs, ie my messages are headed by my email address and not my name. I can see no settings at all on my ipad screen to adjust. I have rebooted my ipad thinking that it may update my new settings I applied using my laptop but it hasn't. Can anyone please help?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Locol 

Have you set up your Contact Data (first name, last name)?  The very first thing I advised in post 2. 

You can set up your Contact Data on the laptop on a desktop browser or using a mobile browser on a mobile device.

Whatever you set up via the laptop, including a custom name, will be the same when you send using TalkTalk Mail on a mobile device. You'll be able to change the Contact Data on a mobile but not set up a custom name.

When you send mail from a mobile using TalkTalk Mail your recipients should see From: first name last name <email address>

First Timer

I have followed your whole procedure to the letter and it works when sending emails from my laptop. But when using my iPad the heading in the recipients' inbox still says 'talktalk' and nothing else. Is there anything else I can try?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Locol 

If you're using TalkTalk Mail via the Internet browser sign in on your iPad and you've set up your Contact Data with first name last name (this is known as the "friendly name") then what's being sent is From: first name last name <email address>

If you're sending from an email app then the app can override with a custom ("friendly name") so what will be sent is From: custom name <email address>

But the recipient can choose to display what they like. So on receipt of a mail message From: first name last name <email address> the receiving software can do a lookup of the address book and if what's been stored as your <email address> is TalkTalk as the "friendly name" then that's what's being displayed.

In TalkTalk Mail the List view will show just the "friendly name" and you can hover over that to show the email address.

Sign in to your email on the iPad and send the same mailbox address a mail message from you to you and then sign in to your mailbox on the laptop to see how that's presented in both the list view and the detailed view.

I would normally suggest uploading screenshots but I fear too much personal data would be on public display.