cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My Organisations emails are being deferred and rejected when sending TalkTalk email addresses

9 REPLIES 9
mc777
First Timer

All outgoing emails from within my organisation (public sector) are being deferred and eventually rejected when sending to TalkTalk email addresses. These addresses represent some of our customers. The problem seems to have started on 19th December 2019. We are not experiencing any issues sending to other email addresses and our domain/IP is not blacklisted.

I'd appreciated some assistance to help resolve the matter.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @mc777 

TalkTalk will pick up this thread on Friday or early next week depending on workload.

Please do a quick check that your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here) your name, current landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended) and address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add your organisation details, sending email address(es) with any relevant other notes and finally save changes.

What we understand is that TalkTalk is getting tougher on eliminating spam from its network. From similar reports that have been investigated I understand that mail sender authentication issues or too many incidents of spam reported by talktalk customers have been seen. I'm not saying that this is the case here but just giving a heads up.

Are your mail messages sent with attachments? One sender found that the mail messages with attachments were being deferred or held back from delivery for scanning but that plain mail messages were received without a problem.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

nw1806
Chat Champion

"too many incidents of spam reported..." It didn't occur to them that this means big networks will get blacklisted regardless of how quickly they deal with spamming customers due to the shear volume of them? This is not a new idea, it's a very old, very bad one.

And "mail server authentication issues" also trigger it? So any other ISP which uses this strategy will be filtering pipex emails the next time the TT authentication servers have one of their little moments? Resulting in them appearing to have issues to the pipex filters which then start rejecting their email? There is no way in which this could possibly end well.

Sheesh, it's not as if mail servers and spam is a new thing. This stuff has been tried before.

Gondola
Community Star

@nw1806 as your issue appears to be just with pipex that's not on the talktalk mail platform it's unlikely to be related to this topic. Please start your own topic.

nw1806
Chat Champion

I am not privy to the internal workings of TT so I didn't know that pipex is not considered "part of the TT mail platform".

I did start my own thread, you told me someone who actually works for TT would get back to me eventually, which I knew.

mc777
First Timer
Thanks @Gondola. That's very helpful. We aren't experiencing any issues with other ISP's only Talk Talk (and Tiscali) addresses. Most emails aren't sent with attachments. Our email reputation is constantly monitored using MXToolbox, we apply DMARC, SPF records and DKIM best practices to help ensure that our domain is recognised as having a good reputation and we are not on any blacklists, so it'll be good to hear from Talk Talk on the reason for deferrals.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi mc777 

Thanks for the confirmation of email best practice. TalkTalk will need to investigate further. 

It's apparent that the TT992 (mail deferred) message is issued when the system decides it needs to hold back a message for scanning and it's indicating a temporary error message status. For some messages that status seems to time out and it ends up as a permanent fail to deliver to the destination mailbox.

TalkTalk will be looking at that process.

ptalk
Conversation Starter

I have identical problem and have received similar suggestion from Gondola about timeout.

Many emails sent from oxinst.com to talktalk.net are not arriving and no error message is given to sender.  Apparently it also has been seen with sending to tiscali .On one or two occasions I got a TT992 content rejected error, even on plain text without attachment but most times no error at all.

I am waiting to hear how we can get TalkTalk to investigate and fix this problem as any platform that trashes sender messages without any bounce error is dangerous.  I have no evidence of ever having lost emails completely before, even if there were breaks in service. This is a very recent change and a very serious problem.

Gondola
Community Star

...and as @ptalk is spamming other threads including yours for his own personal reasons please see his thread here for the response he has received.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi mc777, please provide the following information: the timestamp the mail was sent, sender address & recipient address. Send that to me in a mail to supersafeboost@talktalkplc.com. Make sure to include your username in the subject line so that I know who to post the replies to.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.