Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My email address has been hacked

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Chatterbox

One of my email addresses has bee hacked and compromised. I have tries to reset the password, but the screen tells me "this cannot be done at this time" and to try later, which I have done several times without success.

On my Webmail screen, the following comes up "Error
Your e-mail account xxxxxxxxxx@tiscali.co.uk was disabled due to invalid credentials. Please edit the account and enter correct credentials to enable it again.

How do I "edit the account" and enter correct credentials.

I am not worried about further hacking as the email address has been disabled, but I would like to retrive it, even if I then delete it!

Some of this may be due to the current situation, but I wondered if anybody could help please?

Keep it simple please?

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @PeeJay2 

A weak password or compromised email account will trigger a password reset or blocking of the mailbox to help secure customer data. You may need help to recover access.

A password reset via your MyAccount will not work in this case so you need to use a reset link sent to a password recovery email address or reset code sent to your mobile 'phone.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. When you try the Forgotten your Password? option you should ideally recognise email and phone:

• a reset sent to the mailbox itself - only for routine password changes
  • the option to send a 6 digit code to a mobile
  • an alternative email address for a password recovery link

If the self-help password recovery options aren't there I'll need to alert the TalkTalk Community team for you. They'll need to verify you as the registered email user, secure your mailbox and set up new Reset details so you can get the password changed.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current TalkTalk home and mobile contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email address and Save changes.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thank you.

I've tried all the self help options several times without success. When I tried the Forgotten Password route, a bubble kept coming up saying something like "we are unable to do this at this time, please try again later", which I did many times without success.

So yes, I need some extra help and would be happy for you to alert the Community Team, who I can speak to or email. I would have tried to get help via the chat line, but this is not operating at the moment, presumably because of the current corona virus difficulties.

Any help gratefully received!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @PeeJay2 

I'm not convinced your tiscali email address is active.

Enter the email address at mailtester.com and let me know what that says.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

just tried it. It says

Mail server found for domain:
- mx.tiscali.co.uk (priority 10, ip address: 62.24.139.42)

Mailserver identification:
cm8gb1 mx.talktalk.net ESMTP server ready

E-mail address is valid

But this is what I am getting on my screen

Error
Your e-mail account obscured for customer security was disabled due to invalid credentials. Please edit the account and enter correct credentials to enable it again

Not sure how I do this!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi PeeJay2 

The email address is valid and is active on the mail server.

There are password recovery details set up with a mobile 'phone number ending 05 and gmail email address.  Do you recognise those details as your mobile and your gmail address when you select the 'forgotten your password?' journey? 

The mail message, if it's when you're signed in to TalkTalk Mail webmail, means the account needs you to enter your password. 

Does this message come up at the top of screen and the tiscali account it refers to is one you've added to another mailbox that you're currently signed in to?

Select the Main settings menu (triple line icon top right on the header), select Settings and Accounts from the side panel, then select the account in question and choose Edit then scroll down to find the first Password box and update the password and then select Save.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thank you for your help. 

I have now sorted out the problem, but because of the previous interference with the email address, I have decided to delete the account rather than risk future misuse.

I will be more careful in future.

Many thanks again