cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My mail is being deleted

18 REPLIES 18
Popular Poster

Since around 14.30 yesterday my email is being deleted and not getting through to me. 1. I have stopped being able to download email to Outlook. 2. when I synch with my ios devices ALL talktalk email history disappears 3. on webmail new emails appear briefly then disappear- so they are getting through but then being deleted on your servers.

I signed up AND pay for talktalk mail plus because I am in the middle of a job search and NEED CONTINUITY OF THIS EMAIL!!  I MUST HAVE THIS RESTORED ASAP INCLUDING RESTORING ALL MISSING EMAILS.

Also, despite paying for a service that isn't being recieved it is impossible to find a way to contact talktalk to log this issue - I can only join 'the community' which makes this sound chummy but is just extremely infuriating.  So please now log this and treat it as a formal complaint.  I have now wasted an hour of my Saturday morning trying to notify you of this issue.  And by the way, there is no point emailing me with a response because you will only delete it!!

Popular Poster

And I'm not a Newbie, I've had this email address for well over 10 years.

Popular Poster

And then I get a 'first reply badge'.  Whoopy do.  This is not social media.

Community Star

Hi Paul

TalkTalk don't delete mail in active accounts. But if your mailbox has been compromised then someone could be collecting mail messages, downloading then deleting them or may have set up a mail Auto forward or Filter rule to divert your mail messages.

But have you set up a new device for email as a POP3 account that is downloading and deleting mail messages from the server?

If in doubt, you must change your mailbox password to ensure your mailbox is secured.

First, please check the sign in to TalkTalk Mail. Tell us if there's an error message or if you can sign in ok.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. Please do try the Forgotten your Password option. If there's an alternate shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please reset the password.

If you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail then for routine password changes select the password reset to be sent to the account itself or, preferably, update Reset details via the main menu and then use the Forgotten your password journey.

Provided the password has not been reset then if you're a TalkTalk broadband or MailPlus customer and know the current password you can change your email password in MyAccount > My Services > Manage TalkTalk Mail. 

Here's the advice article on managing your email in MyAccount.

If the self-help password change / recovery options aren't effective then I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email address and Save changes.

To check for Auto forward and Filter rules - Main menu > Settings > Select arrow by Mail in the side panel > Auto forward - disable > Filter rules - disable

Let us know how you get on.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster

Thank you for the prompt response and if you are a volunteer and not a talktalk employee then my frustration is not aimed at you.  Responding to your points in turn.

My outlook and ios devices have all been set up and working fine for months. I have not changed these or set up any new devices.

I can log in to talktalk webmail.

The password reset details are my own.  I have reset my password anyway.  

Personal information - I have provided name, phone number and email address which should be sufficient to resolve this matter on this community. As a talktalk customer, talktalk have all the personal information they require to run my account.

There are no auto forward or filter rules in place.

Community Star

Hi Paul

Making sure the mailbox is secure with a new password is a good first step.

And checking and finding no obvious signs of hacking in TalkTalk Mail's Reset details, Auto forward and Filter rules is comforting.

So, now to the troubleshooting. 

Don't change the email account password on any other devices you use to collect email.  Keep those isolated from the mailbox for now.

Please then sign in to TalkTalk Mail. Compose and send the same mailbox a message.  Check the message is in the Sent objects folder and appears and stays in the Inbox.

Let me know all of the above is ok so we can prove the mailbox is working as expected.

Popular Poster

I sent a message from within talktalk webmail and this came back into the inbox successfully. 

Community Star

...And still there. Not being deleted?

Are there any older messages in the Inbox?

Popular Poster

yes, it is still there and new ones are coming through too.  the only older one is from when I reset my password.

Community Star

Hi Paul

That's great.

Now, before changing passwords on the other email devices check to see if any are set up as POP3 mail accounts.  Those ones are the likely culprits downloading and deleting mail messages from the TalkTalk Mail Inbox.

The downloaded mail messages should be found on the device.

So, you'll need to check the settings for each account and then change password one by one to troubleshoot to the device that's causing the problem.

If found then save wanted mail messages first before removing the account and setting up afresh. Recommended setup is IMAP for all devices. Email settings - IMAP & POP3 

Popular Poster

In Outlook, the incoming seems to be pop3 (port 995) and outgoing SMTP.  These have been this way probably since set up a couple of years ago.  The only rule is a recomended rule to delete categories on mail.  There are no forward / delete rules.  Entering password, new messages appear to be coming in as normal (as per webmail) but no recovery of lost emails over 24 hours from 12.30 yesterday to around 12 today.  A couple of emails did come through this am (and these are still in the inbox - not deleted) but not all, and these were not in webmail when I went into there. I saw others appear in webmail and iphone and then disappear without any action from me.  So the deletion trigger on webmail does not seem to come from Outlook.  So I think Outlook is ok despite the pop setting,  as some came through and were not deleted whilst others didn't come through - so not consistent - but you may think otherwise.

On both my ipad and iphone they say IMAP account information at the top of the Account settings.  Both are set to receiving email when I ask so neither had the missing emails.  Neither the ipad or iphone has anything in the Trash or Deleted Messages folders.  Also, I note that any deleted items should be sent to Deleted messages on the server.  Deleted Messages on the server contains no emails.  Trash on the server contains emails up to 28 March but nothing newer.

Entering the password on the ipad it downloads mail from 11.57 today to the inbox but everything prior to that is missing (not just the missing emails but all prior emails - i.e. it reflects what I see in webmail).  The first one is the one when the password was reset.  Entering the password on the iphone I get the same as the ipad.

So Outlook gives me incoming mail to Friday 12.30.  Both ios devices have lost all incoming mail prior to 12 today.

Community Star

Hi Paul

Starting with the iPhone and iPad as that's easy to comment on.  IMAP accounts mean that the devices will synchronise to the folders set to synchronise on the TalkTalk Mail server.  What's on the server will be seen on the devices.

It would be better to have the devices set to move deleted mail to the server Trash folder.  Then you don't have two separate folders containing deleted mail messages.

Outlook is set up as a POP3 mail account. The default is to download and delete from the server. But there is a standard setting to leave mail messages on the server for a set period of time before deletion of mail messages.

You may also have an Auto-archive feature active so that needs to be checked to ensure it's not active.

You mention Auto forward and Filter rules on Outlook. I don't think in this case those will have any influence on what was happening to the mailbox.

The Auto forward and Filter rules that will have a direct influence on the Inbox are those on the TalkTalk Mail server. Did you definitely check that those were not enabled? 

Sign in to TalkTalk Mail > Main Settings menu (triple line icon top right header or cog icon on mobile browser)> Settings > Select the arrow by Mail in the side panel> Auto forward - disable > Filter rules - disable.

Popular Poster

Re the ipad and iphone - yes, I agree, and that is why they now have no emails in their inboxes - because the talktalk webmail inbox was cleared of mail and then I synched ios devices.

in Outlook my delivery settings are set to leave a copy of messages on the server and remove from the server after 14 days (although I've just increased this to 21 days). The 'Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items' is unchecked so they should remain on the server.

The Inbox is set to not Auto-archive.

Yes, I have checked again in the Webmail and auto forward is not enabled and there are no filter rules.

Community Star

Hi Paul

Apart from the Outlook rules that I don't know I'd now be confident that your mail will arrive at the Inbox and stay in the Inbox for 21 days unless you specifically delete mail messages.

Thanks for going back and checking the TalkTalk Mail Auto forward etc. It's a classic hacker trick so that even when locked out of a mailbox by a password change they still get your mail messages.

Let us know if anything unusual happens in the next 21 days.

Popular Poster

Whilst you are right in terms of going forward I still do not understand why this happened (and therefore how to ensure it does not happen again) and I have not recovered the missing emails.  The emails started to return after changing the password but there were no indicators of a hacked account or any issues at my end. How do I recover the missing emails?  Surely talktalk will have back ups of the servers?

Community Star

Hi Paul

I'm the bearer of unwelcome news for you. TalkTalk does not offer a backup service to recover lost mail messages.

You'll see Ady's sticky post right at the top of the forum reminding everyone of the importance of taking regular backups of important mail messages.

If someone had used your password and just connected a POP3 client in default mode then the result is exactly what happened.  So by promptly changing the password you've saved the day and locked out a hacker.

I wouldn't entirely rule out the Outlook client which is why I recommend keeping an eye on anything unusual in the next 3 weeks. You'd have had 2 weeks of Inbox mail messages in the previous configuration plus all mail messages previously downloaded to Outlook. So the only loss is 2 weeks of mail messages if you haven't found them.

Now the important thing.  If the incident was due to a person unknown they would have seen all mail messages over the last 2 weeks. So, if any other online accounts were featured in those messages then now's the time to review those other online accounts to make sure they are secure. A bit of guesswork covering 2 weeks but worth doing.

If you do find any fraud taking place then the place to report that is Action Fraud UK.

Popular Poster

I can't back up email messages I do not recieve now can I?  They were being deleted on the talktaltk server before I could download and see them!

I see your logic in saying someone may have used a pop 3 in default, thus deleting everything on the server, but they'd have had to be sitting there watching every email come in to delete it so quickly or they would have used code.  Either way, why delete, it just highlights that someones interferring?  They could have simply monitored everything until I changed my password and reaped far more information.  So I'm not entirely convinved that a TalkTalk glitch / error may not have been to blame here.

Community Star

Hi Paul

I agree, for the two weeks the only device getting the incoming mail messages is the device that was downloading and deleting them from the server.

The fact that the issue was immediately resolved when you changed the password indicates an unknown connection was locked out of the mailbox rather than it being another root cause.

But there's always an exception to a general rule which is why I would like you to keep a watch for the next 21 days from which point you've got Outlook set to delete mail older than 21 days. Just make sure that's working as expected from the 21 day point onwards. You can see I'm not entirely ruling out Outlook as the issue.

Mail that is actually deleted from the Inbox goes into the mailbox Trash folder. You'll see that folder on your IMAP devices but not on Outlook because mailbox Trash is not synchronised to Outlook.  NB Mail that is just marked for deletion remains in the mailbox Inbox until Expunged but is hidden until then.

Community Manager - TT Staff

Hi paul, 

I've asked for someone to contact you about your mail issues asap, this may however be on Monday now. 

Regards

Stephen 

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.