Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Need to remove email account from webmail

9 REPLIES 9
Marmalade 1
Popular Poster

It is easy to add an email account to webmail "Add email account" but how do I remove an email account?

I have inadvertently added my main email account and wish to remove it from webmail. I don't want to delete the account and loose it, simply remove it from webmail. How can I do this?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Marmalade

Just go to the Main Settings menu icon top right on the header (triple line or cog icon on mobile browser), select Accounts and then the dustbin icon to the right of the account to remove from the primary mailbox.

That just removes the added account from the primary account but doesn't delete the mailbox.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Unified email deletion.png

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Marmalade 1
Popular Poster

Thank you for your reply. Just followed your instructions. But if I do that I will be deleting the email account completely. I don't want to delete the account simply remove it from webmail. The email address is my main email address for talktalk account and for many other on line services eg. Amazon

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Marmalade 1 

If you're signed in to your primary mailbox and your screen looks similar to the one I've shown then selecting the dustbin icon as indicated will just remove the 'added' mailbox from the primary account. It will not delete the mailbox.

Does your screen look like mine?

Marmalade 1
Popular Poster

Thanks Gondola for your email.

As an older person and not that tech. savy maybe I am not understanding the terminology.

Yes my screen looked like yours. But it is when you say " it will remove the 'added mailbox' from the primary account. it will not delete the mailbox, that confuses me. I need to know that the actual email address will not be lost.

Sorry for not understanding

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Marmalade 1 

I understand the concern so you're quite right to ask questions.

You'll see from the screenshot that there's no dustbin icon for the primary mail account so you'll not be able to delete it.

Selecting the dustbin icon shown in the screenshot does not delete the mailbox. You'll still be able to sign in to the mailbox.

All you're doing is removing the added mail account from the primary mail account. No mailbox is deleted. All that's deleted are the settings for mail collection from the added account by the primary account.

Would you like me to call for positive confirmation from TalkTalk staff so you have that extra reassurance that you'll do no harm?

Marmalade 1
Popular Poster

Hi Marmalade. just got your email. You are being really helpful

Yes I have spotted what you are saying. It looks like I will have to put up with the situation.

It is the primary email account that I wanted to remove from webmail, leaving the secondary account.

Until the other day I just received webmail for the secondary account, as I do not want to receive email for this address into my windows 10 mailbox.

For some reason, the other day I added the primary email address to webmail, and now I regret it because as you say I cannot remove it. 

If I changed the primary account from the present one and made the secondary account the primary. Could I then delete the account from webmail, and then reinstate the account back to primary? Hope you can understand that.

I may just have to live with my actions from the other day

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Marmalade 1 

If you just wish to see mail from the 'secondary mail account' then just sign out of the 'primary mail account' and sign in here at TalkTalk Mail using your 'secondary mail account' address and password. 

Sign out

Marmalade 1
Popular Poster

Dear gondola,

Thank you for your patience and persistence with me. Seems to be a problem with your latest suggestion. Can log out of primary account but after entering secondary account details (and pressing continue) just get screen with dots going round as request is processed. But it just keeps going. If I exit and go into web mail, primary account still there. I will keep trying this method to see if secondary account registers.

If not maybe it's time to call it a day!

You didn't comment on my idea to switch secondary account to be primary account so that there will be a dustbin against the email address I wish to remove, then having removed it from webmail switch the accounts back again to original primary.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Marmalade 1 

Some people do seem to experience the grey dots cycling round and going nowhere.

Clearing the browser cookies and cache and then when the cookie prompt appears select do not accept cookies is the fix that works for those reporting this issue. I've never been able to replicate the problem and still don't know what the root cause is.

To clarify: 

The 'primary account' is the mailbox you're currently signed in to at TalkTalk Mail.  If you've added email accounts to that 'primary account'  they are the 'secondary accounts'.

If you sign out of that mailbox and sign in to another mailbox then that is the current 'primary account'. If you've added email accounts to that 'primary account'  they are the 'secondary accounts'.

The terminology is just used in this case to describe the current signed in to mailbox vs an added mailbox.

I hope that makes it clearer.