would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New email system total rubbish - needs sorting

ANSWERED
25 REPLIES 25
fedup
Conversation Starter

I anticipated that the much hyped 'new and improved' TalkTalk emails would be even worse than before and boy was I proved right!

It rarely opens at the top to display the latest email and usually lands on one of yesterday's. Often, when I consign something to the spam or trash folders, it does indeed disappear from my inbox – only to reappear shortly afterwards.

Despite assurances, the spam facility is just as useless as ever – I've lost count of the Bitcoin and Date Hot Russian Women emails I've received. Only once in a blue moon does it work!

Also, the system decides to tick an email I have not selected. When I don't notice this, I end up consigning emails to the trash or spam folders that I want to stay in my inbox.

The worst problem is that some emails I know have been sent do not arrive. In fact, my bank told me today that other customers who have TalkTalk email have said that emails from the bank do not arrive. I have missed out on several special offers due to this.

Periodically, a pop up will say that my IP address has changed – it has not. This only occurs when I am looking at my emails.

I know that this is not an isolated problem and that many others have experienced the same problems.

Absolutely, totally useless. Who the heck is meddling with these emails? One thing's for certain, it's not trained IT staff. Doesn't anyone test new systems before unleashing them on suspecting customers?

I would like someone to sort this total mess out.

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

You have a lot of issues.  I'll quickly run through these and point you in the right direction.

@fedup wrote:...It (TalkTalk Mail) rarely opens at the top to display the latest email and usually lands on one of yesterday's.

When signing in to TalkTalk Mail, and the Inbox is first displayed, selected for viewing is the last viewed email.  Unread emails will be above the currently displayed email. Select View and any layout other than 'List' then select the current email from the List and you can readily use the keyboard up key to scroll up the Email list and view the unread emails in the order they were received. Use the up / down keys to move up and down the Email List view and you'll find it's a very convenient way of viewing emails in sequence.

@fedup wrote:...Often, when I consign something to the spam or trash folders, it does indeed disappear from my inbox – only to reappear shortly afterwards.

Mark an email as Spam and it will be moved to the Spam folder. Delete an email and it will be moved to Trash.  The programmed function, having selected and marked an email in the Spam folder as 'Not spam', will return that email to the Inbox.  That's the only pre-programmed function to return messages to the Inbox.

@fedup wrote:..the spam facility... Only once in a blue moon does it work!

You suggest that the spam blocking can work but that also suggests to me that to know that it does sometimes work probably implies you have Filter rules in action or maybe the Bocked Sender's Filter from the former webmail.  Coupled with your comment:

@fedup wrote:..some emails I know have been sent do not arrive.

...leads me to say that if you do have Filter rules you should check those because they may not be effective and could be the cause of blocking wanted emails. Best to troubleshoot this by Disabling all Filter rules.

@fedup wrote:...Also, the system decides to tick an email I have not selected. When I don't notice this, I end up consigning emails to the trash or spam folders that I want to stay in my inbox.

The auto-selection of emails is no longer a design feature of TalkTalk Mail and hasn't been for some time. 

@fedup wrote:...Periodically, a pop up will say that my IP address has changed – it has not. This only occurs when I am looking at my emails.

Never personally seen such a message in TalkTalk Mail. There is an Error code 205 - Request to server was refused. Original client IP address changed. Please try again. This can happen for two reasons.

1. Your internet connection has dropped and a new IP address has been allocated
  2. Multiple connections are being made to your Mailbox from different IP addresses

The second one is most likely as you'd know if your Internet connection was dropping. But the second is the more worrying. Unless you have an email client connecting via a VPN or your mobile is using a mobile network connection to your mailbox at the same time then you may wish to consider that some undesirable is using your Mailbox.

This may explain why you're suffering so much spam and unexplained moves of emails etc. But there is a simple fix. Scan your devices for malware and clean if any found and then change the email password. If in any doubt. Do it. Here's password advice from Get Safe Online.

TalkTalk Mail is now on a platform capable of offering more features. Yes there are some things the team need to get done.  In the meantime it's a capable messaging platform tested with companies and customers around the globe.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi fedup, it looks like Gondola has addressed your issues. If you have more questions please let us know. 

Highlighted
fedup
Conversation Starter

I wouldn't say this issue is solved by any means, but thank you for replying.

I've deleted all the spam filters, as you suggested. However, none of them were even remotely connected to the email addresses that don't get through, so I don't see that this is going to do much good.  Recently, a friend sent several emails as a test and one - but only one - got through. Presumably, if spam filters were to blame, not even that one would have arrived. Too many people are not receiving the emails they should (I've seen this on an unrelated website moaning about TalkTalk when the email system was down recently). Also, you say that the only reasons spam emails bounce back into the inbox is because the system considers it 'not spam'. Well, if I mark it as spam, then it is spam, so this doesn't make sense. Personally, I think TalkTalk has as much knowledge about dealing with spam emails as it has about producing a tin of Spam!

I note you say that, after logging in, emails are intended to show at the level of the last email visited. This is barmey - every other email provider opens at the top - which is where the majority of people want it to go. I often log in to see if an expected email has arrived - I don't want to be scrolling up to find out, so no, I don't find this a convenient way to view emails, and neither will anyone else.

I really think it's about time Talk Talk made a note of all moans about emails and did something about it. It was much better years ago, before any so called 'improvements' were made.

Thank you for your help re. the IP address.

Gondola
Community Star

@fedup wrote:...every other email provider opens at the top - which is where the majority of people want it to go. I often log in to see if an expected email has arrived - I don't want to be scrolling up to find out, so no, I don't find this a convenient way to view emails, and neither will anyone else.

My personal view is that the current presentation is ok. I have the View layout set to Vertical so I see all new unread emails showing in bold in the List view and I can move up through the unread list in strict order of oldest unread mail first and moving up to the latest to be received.

If you and anyone else wish to start from the latest to be received then select the email at the top of the List view.  You can move on down unread emails in reverse time order. An email you're waiting for might be anywhere in the unread part of the list when you next sign in.

Bear in mind that if you have multiple emails on a subject then your method of 'reading the newest email first' means when you sign in you may see a more recent reply first that may update or correct an earlier reply so you'll need to remember that and forget the older email you read last because it was negated by an email that you viewed earlier. I'm sure you'll have your head around that conundrum if that's how you use email now.

I don't do reverse time reading of emails as I go forward in time ready for what the future brings!  I just think it's easier.

Gondola
Community Star

@fedup wrote:...Also, you say that the only reasons spam emails bounce back into the inbox is because the system considers it 'not spam'. Well, if I mark it as spam, then it is spam, so this doesn't make sense.

You've misunderstood about Spam and Ham. You mark an email in the Inbox as Spam, the system moves that email to the Spam folder. You mark as email in the Spam folder as Not Spam (Ham) and the system moves it to the Inbox. In both cases it's the mailbox user that's doing the marking.

fedup
Conversation Starter

Regarding emails not being received, I've been sent the following message from one of the organisations whose emails are not getting through:-

"There has been a hard bounce on your email address. This happens when our system doesn't recognise the email address as valid and we can no longer send emails,

This can happen even if you have previously been receiving emails."

This is clearly not due to spam filters as suggested and is a flaming nuisance. I've had to change my email address in this instance. Can't somebody sort this out once and for all? As I've mentioned before, this is clearly not an isolated case and others are experiencing the same problem.

By the way, the emails that I mark as 'spam' are the ones that sometimes pop back into inbox. I wasn't referring to any that I mark as 'not spam'. But the main problem is, as stated above, emails not being received.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @fedup 

I'll alert Ady to the situation regarding the 'hard block' on your email mailbox. 

If you are receiving other emails successfully i.e. your mailbox is working and other emails are being correctly routed to it, then the 'hard' block' is either due to:

1. Mailbox rejection of the sender's email
  2. The network Spam filtering is blocking the sender (This happens when several users mark the emails as Spam and the fingerprint matches a typical spam profile)

To troubleshoot this you've already done the first bit which is to Disable mailbox Filter rules.  The next bit is for the email admins to check the network Spam filtering against the sender's email address.

I expect Ady will ask for the sender's email address by Private Message but if you wish you may put this in Private notes in your Community profile carefully marked with a note so it doesn't get confused with your own email address.

The sender's email address is found in the header of your email view from previously sent and received emails (assuming the sender hasn't changed the way they're sending out emails) and it's on the From: (top) line and in the arrow brackets "<username@domain>". Sometimes it can be useful for the email admins to see the full header (Menu (More actions) and select View Source from the drop-down list) which can be copied and pasted as text. PS don't paste here as your email address may be seen).

Community Team

Before I can raise a fault ticket the team will ask me to get you to retest once you've turned off all mail filters and those mail forwards you have on the account too. Please do that and if possible get one of the blocked senders to resend and let us know how you get on. Once that's done if the problems are still occurring I can raise a fault ticket for you. 

Geluk
Team Player

Trying to access my e mails via webmail; at one stage got popup saying ukgatewaynet was not recognised as valid domain; obvioulsy should be ukgateway.net.

That pop up went when I logged in again, but showing me inbox is empty; however, via Magic Mail monitor I know there is one e mail with attachent on my alias e mail account.

Community Team

Hi Geluk, please start your own thread as this needs to be looked at for you. 

fedup
Conversation Starter

I've turned off spam filters and deleted all the spam criteria I'd previously listed. I've currently got TT emails forwarded to Yahoo. Is this what you mean when you say delete 'mail forwards'? Seem to remember I had trouble setting this up - something about having trouble getting Yahoo to recognize TT passwords, can't remember exactly - so is this necessary? Previously, I was asked to give details of email addresses not being received in a private message. Don't know how to send a private message offhand. The only email that I could ask to be resubmitted is from a friend who is on holiday - the rest are from organisations. Please tell me how to submit list in private message

Community Team

Unfortunately, they'll bounce the ticket back and insist the mail forward is disabled yes. You can just untick the enable box on the forward and that will do what we need for the purposes of the testing. 

fedup
Conversation Starter

Okay - but I've gone into settings and see the enable and 'forward all incoming emails to this address are empty anyway'. Don't know why, as I know I put my Yahoo address in there. The only thing that's ticked is 'Process subsequent rules'. You didn't say whether you still need a list of some of the email addresses that aren't getting through

Community Team

Now that you've ensured filters and forwards aren't responsible, I will need you to provide several examples of the mail being sent date time sender etc along with the bounce message if they've given you the error code. Send this information to me in a Personal Message please. 

fedup
Conversation Starter

As I said previously, I don't know how to send a private message, so please tell me. How an earth can I provide bounce and error messages? It is emails being sent to me that don't arrive - not ones I send! All I can give you is a list of senders from whom I can no longer receive emails - and that is only the few that I am aware of. I'm sure there are many more. As far as spam goes, I moved a "skin tag" email to spam yesterday, only to receive another today, so I fail to see how TalkTalk have improved spam. I am really getting fed up with this.

Community Team

All you have to do is click on my avatar and click send message. 

Community Team

Thanks for the PM. I've raised the fault ticket for you. Please chase every 3 working days to ensure we get this fixed asap for you. 

fedup
Conversation Starter

Please could the following message be passed to the person who rang me last Monday.  You asked me to request an email from one of the people whose emails were not getting through. I contacted Quidco and was told they could only send a manual email - their every day emails re offers etc. were sent from different servers and it was not possible to generate one of these at a specific time. These are obviously the ones that are not arriving, as the manual email sent 12.45 on 31st July did arrive.

I see there are more new posts from others on here about specific emails not arriving. As you know, my spam filters and other things you have requested have been removed and this has not helped at all. As you asked, I've also stopped TT emails being forwarded to Yahoo, which is a nuisance - so can I reinstate this now, as removing it has done nothing to help?

It seems obvious to me that there is an inherent fault in the new email system for so many people to have the same problem regarding receiving some emails, so isn't it about time TalkTalk addressed this issue across the board instead of getting individuals to mess around with spam filters, etc. to no avail? If this is not sorted, I'm going to have to change my main email address and it will be a nightmare informing all senders, especially in view of the fact that many will want to send email to talktalk address for security verification and some of these will not get through

Community Team

I've updated the fault ticket for you. I've asked the team to chase for updates for you.